Do I take Minocyline and Zithromax with or without food?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by erica741, May 13, 2008.

1. erica741

erica741 New Member

I have conflicting information on my prescription bottles and what I recall from my LLMD's instructions.

I have been taking zithromax with and without food, but just read somewhere that I should take with food.

I am supposed to start the minocycline tomorrow, and have even more conflicting information about that abx.

My doctor's office still does not return my phone calls. I have been told by many people on here that I am lucky to be seeing this LLMD because he is an expert and is very conscientious with his patients. But I'm getting none of that, am starting to really worry.

I can't even get a return call to schedule my next appointment!

Sorry for the vent...It's just scary enough being diagnosed with lyme and starting all these antibiotics without any guidance from my doctor.

Thanks for your help!

Erica
  2. connieaag

connieaag New Member

Kathryn takes them both with food. I can't believe you still don't get call backs. I would think that might be a "I don't know what to do next for you but can't admit it because of my ego" from our experiences.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Zithro it doesn't matter.

Minocycline is different. 1 bottle of mine said do not take within 4 hours of dairy products or anything (food or supplement) with iron, or antacids; a bottle from a different pharmacy didn't have any of that! -- but I follow the first one's directions. However, it may be actually recommended to actually take with milk/food, go figure!

This is from drugs.com and reflects the conflicting advice:

# Take Minocycline by mouth. Do not take Minocycline with food or milk unless otherwise directed. Minocycline is sometimes taken with food or milk to reduce stomach upset. However, certain foods and milk may bind with Minocycline , preventing its full absorption. To avoid this problem, take Minocycline 2 to 3 hours before or after milk or any food containing magnesium, aluminum, or calcium.

# If you also take bismuth salts (eg, bismuth subsalicylate), calcium salts (eg, calcium carbonate), colestipol, iron salts (eg, iron sulfate), magnesium, urinary alkalinizers (eg, daily antacids), sucralfate, vitamins/minerals, quinapril, didanosine, or zinc salts (eg, zinc sulfate), do not take them within 2 to 3 hours before or after taking Minocycline . Check with your doctor if you have questions.

# Take Minocycline with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Minocycline .

# Minocycline works best if it is taken at the same time each day.

4. erica741

erica741 New Member

Thanks for the info. I just called Rite Aid and spoke with the pharmacist. He said that for best absorption, both antibiotics should be on an empty stomach, at least an hour before/after and food or vitamins and other supplements.

He clarified that minocyline pamphelet said it could taken with food or milk if taking on an empty stomach upsets the stomach. But that is that is not the ideal way to take it.

He said that zithromax can be taken with or without food, but maximum absorption is without food.

He also went on to say that the differtial in absorption with food with both abx is at most 10%. So basically, I shouldn't stress too much about taking them with or without food.

Connie: With this doctor, it can't YET be an ego thing because I'm just asking for guidance on how I should take my medication. I think the problem is mostly that his staff does not return phone calls.

5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

The only thing I'm aware of is to NOT take Abx with magnesium supplements.

I get the impression that it's your preference to take them with or without food. If you can handle it on an empty stomach OK. If not eat something.

I just threw my Abx into my pill lockers to take with meals and the rest of the horse trough of supplements.

Zith is the poop Abx. For some reason it makes lots of it and bad stomach cramps too. Other than that it did help with brain problems. I could concentrate to read a book after being on it for a few months.

Minocycline is my fav Abx. That one cleared up a lot of my chronic health issues.

6. erica741

erica741 New Member

Munch and LAML, too funny that you call zith the poop abx! I had some of that the 1st few days, but it passed. No complaints though, since on most meds I get the opposite problem :)

PJ, You're driving me nuts, man! :) My zithromax bottle says to take with or without food.

I finally did get a call this morning from my LLMD's assistant. At first, she said I can take both zithromax and minocycline with food (just not dairy or anything with calcium with mino) because a lot of patients get stomach upsets taking abx on an empty stomach. But when I told her what the pharmacist said, she agreed that if I can tolerate taking them on a empty stomach, that would result in the maximum absorption.

Like the pharmacist, she also said I should take any vitamins or minerals at least hour apartment from the abx.

I am relieved that I can take all my abx without food because I have to take my vitamins and calcium/magnesium supplement with food. I'd become a blimp if I had to take everything separately with food!

[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2008]
  7. erica741

erica741 New Member

Unfortunately, Dr. H doesn't have a staff or office in Malibu. He uses another doctor's office for the weekends he sees patients there. Since he doesn't have his regular staff and sees probably twice the number of patients a day as he would in Redwood City, I am starting to understand why my experience so far has been somewhat chaotic and disorganized, and how I could slip through the cracks.

I'm making my next appt in his main office. Hopefully, I'll get more attention and personalized care when he is less rushed and has his staff to take care of lab slips and other details.