do IEPs LookBadToColleges? anyone else here in school?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Jul 28, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i was just wondering, i don't know if many people here would know the answer to this, but i've been debating on whether to get a 504 or an IEP. i know i need at least a 504 to get through next year, and i could probably qualify for an IEP too...

the thing is, i'm really dead set on getting into the college that i want, but i'm worried that if i strive for an IEP it'll make it seem like i'm a slacker, or i can't work hard when i need to.

i really think an IEP would help me, because i know i'll have such a hard time as it is just going to school full time, and then i can't spend three more hours on homework...so a decreased amount of homework would really help, at least in one or two classes.

but i don't want to try for an IEP if it'll make me look bad on a college application. once i get my FM symptoms under control, i fully intend on cutting down on the IEP if i do get it, because i feel like i'm cheating other kids at my school out of getting a hard-earned grade if i do get one.

so i guess i'm just asking is, does anyone have any teenagers, or any college age kids here who actually have experience with this?

i really want to get all the help i need to get through this next year, but again, i don't want to look like a slacker.

ANY information on this is greatly appreciated.
    -danielle.
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

You do not have to disclose any disability on a college application. Your guidance counselor can help you with this process. Some people choose to disclose, others do not, it is your choice.

We just went through this process with our daughter who had a 504 all through high school. Once she was accepted and had chosen a school, we scheduled a visit with the disability office and disclosed the disability at that time.

You will be given the same consideration and merit as any other applicant. It's against the law for them to discriminate against you.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2006]
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Hope you had a good week at Summer School. I'm happy that
    you are seriously planning for your future and not letting
    your illness become a barrier. I think you got some real
    good advise from the previous reply. Glad you are think-
    ing about College "stuff" but don't fret unnecessarily,
    OK??

Have a good weekend!!
    MRDAD

[This Message was Edited on 07/28/2006]
  4. intensemom

intensemom New Member

WOW! It's hard enough to be a teenager without having to worry about this!

I was a special education teacher to many children graduating from middle school and entering high school.
    First of all, 504 and IEP's, whichever you qualify for, are extremely confidential! If you are concerned about cheating other kids; don't be! You need to take the college track classes...but maybe just need the repetitive work cut down. Or maybe you need to do all the work; but need more time to do it. It's okay...special educators understand your need for confidentiality and will find a way to mangage your IEP/504 without the other teens knowing. Or so what if they know....many teens get mono and end up missing a lot of school. You're just trying to heal!

Also, in Indiana,where I live, they have "transition plans". It is the plan to help you get where you're going, whether it's community living or college! Special educators write it for teens headed to 9th grade and every year afterwards.

As far as college, I don't know what they offer, by way of IEPs/504s. Your guidance counselor should be of some assistance about this.

Good luck to you...never give up!!

Love,
    Tracy
  5. intensemom

intensemom New Member