Do Lortabs Keep You Awake At Night???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by JLH, Nov 9, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

ilovecats mentioned in a reply to one of my posts that Lortabs keep her awake.

Well, Faye, they keep me awake, too, and I wonder why!

Does anyone else know why they would keep you awake?

Do they have caffeine in them or something?

It is the only pain med that I have. The doc prescribed them for my back condition, but I have had to take them pretty regularly here lately due to me being in a lot of pain.

Thanks,
    Janet

P.S. We're supposed to have another bad storm tonight -- hope the electric doesn't go out again - keep your fingers crossed!!
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Anything with hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin, Norco) will keep me awake.

Anything with oxycodone (Percocet, Percodan, Tylox, OxyContin) will also keep me awake.

None of them have caffeine. Just hydrocodone or oxycodone combined with either acetaminophen or aspirin.

I won't take one past 5 or 6pm.

There was a post yesterday (11/8/05) started by KittyCat titled:
    "Viocodin Experience...Anyone Else?". Lots of other people have this experience, too. You might want to check out that post.

Katy
  3. earn

earn New Member

Loritab really keeps me awake---and I have heard several other people say the same thing--Laverne
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'm O.K. with Lortab but pamelor keeps me buzzing!
  5. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

They definitely used to keep me up. I don't take them anymore. I get the same effect with Darvocet or Percocet as well, and have even been hospitalized with IV Morphine and Dilaudid. Same thing. All pain meds do it to me.

Trish
  6. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

The pain dr tried me on Loratab, but I couldnt take it either because it would keep me up and able to sleep. So I am back to Darvocet, its the only thing that doesnt have side effects Brenda
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I take it at bedtime with my other meds (clonazapam) There is codiene and caffine in it. If I take it in the middle of the night when my legs ache alot (3-4am) then I am ok. Go figure, eh?
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

It's strange how some pain meds keep people awake -- I thought they always put everyone to sleep!

The Lortabs keep me awake, but when I took Percocets, they put me to sleep all day--that's why I don't take them!!

Janet
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I generally just take one when I take my morning meds. Sometimes I will take another one around 5 or 6 PM. But if I take one later than that, I can't sleep at night.

So, if I'm hurting at night and can't sleep, there is no point in taking a Lortab to help. Eventually I do fall asleep. But then on the other hand there are times when I have to use the bathroom and I can't get back to sleep.

I recently found out I wasn't supposed to be taking my thyroid med with Tums and/or Prozac, so have switched my thyroid meds to bedtime with my Detrol and Xanax. I actually need less sleep now than I used to. I'm waking up around 11 AM and feeling I have slept well.

I have major problems sleeping after I have been on the computer at night too, so I'll have to do what I need to do on here during the day. Used to do most of my posting at night, but it isn't worth it to feel awful the next day just to get on the computer at night. lol Once I get on, I don't want to get off of it and am on here until around 3 AM. Just can't handle those hours.

Janet, I don't know why the Lortabs give me energy, but they do. I have heard another person mention that too.

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I took a Lortab and laid down for 2 hours after I had been out this afternoon, so I hope it won't keep me up tonight!

But ... Lortabs have NEVER given me any extra energy! Boy, how I wish that they did! I am so terribly fatigued and exhaused every day. And ... weak, too.

Gotta go now, I'm so numb in pain that I can't stand to sit up any longer!

Hugs,
    Janet - 2:00 am
  11. skymage

skymage New Member

Yeah lortabs, vicodins, all those things can keep you awake. For some people they put them right to sleep though. STrange how medicines effect people so differently. They keep me awake but I dont mind. With my lupus I'm trying to swap and be a night person so I can avoid the sun. Good think I love watching stars and can see so many here in the desert.

Skymage