Do massages hurt you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Hey everybody.

I have read that some of you get massages.

I can barely stand to be touched sometimes.

Once the massage begins does the pain go away.And have any of you really flared after a massage?

I have a friend that gives great massages.She said that there is a special massage for people with fm.Does anyone know about it?

Sheila
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

You must be very careful with the type of massage that you get. I have finally found a massage therapist (after years of looking)who does a great job. But she massages me very differently from my friend who also has FM.

My friend likes a deep tissue massage. I had a deep tissue massage once and could not even roll over without screaming in pain. So, it is not a one size fits all for FM. The therapist has to know what you can tolerate.

My therapist has even adjusted her touch to go easier on me if I experience any pain after the massage.

I have a massage every week. Most weeks while she is working on my back, I am very uncomfortable although she is only touching me gently and gently massaging out the knots. Afterwards I have a little pain especially in my lower back.

But overall my pain has decreased since I started getting weekly massages.

I hope that your friend is able to adapt her technique to your needs because it is great when it works.

Pepper
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I can't tolerate massages.
    I have gone to some that said they treated FM and they were just too rough.
    I had the same problem with physcial therapists.
    I always go into a long explanation of how how sensitive I am and try to give clear examples and instructions on what I can tolerate.
    The good ones listen and ask as they work on you if that is painful or gentle enough.
    The bad ones tell you what is good for you.
    If you choose to try one just explain how sensitive you are ( geta referral from someone if possible).
    If it hurt's and they won't listen, leave.
    I suffered through one session and ending hurting for 2 months!
    As to the types of massage there are many for FM.
    Finding someone who will give you the type YOU need is the best.
    Claudia
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sheila:
    I get a full body massage every two weeks and have to say I feel great afterwards. The girl knows I have FM/CFS and is very careful. I love a massage. It loosens me up.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. mariee

mariee Member

I love massages....BUT...they don't love me.
    I end up in a flare for many days afterward.
    Even my hubby can't give me massages anymore.
    I wonder if toxins are being released...
    I have tried many...
    Hope you find one that works for you...so relaxing...
    Mariee
  6. blkkat

blkkat New Member

hi, i get one every week. i couldnt live w/out one! i mean yes the person has to know that you have fibro! they cant goe too deep!!! and it took me 3or4 months not to get

a headache after. DRINK ALOT OF WATER AFTER!!! i have a few NO TOUCH ZONES because no matter what id get a migraine! but back to i couldnt live w/out them, i hurt sooo bad if after 2 weeks go by and i dont get one. some i

hear that it puts them in a flare. so everyone is diff. good luck ,go soft,not a deep massage. HUGS! BLKKAT P.S most INS. anyway mine will pay for some plus if your DR. says there needed that helps to get more covered also schools that train massage need people and you can get a discount. otherwise they run around 60$ for 1 hour. OUCH!!! plus if you go some place some will give you massages not at that (their work ) because they only get hourly and have their own side business and charge you less like 30$ for an hour. some may say thats wrong to do but hey if they offer? i havent had to yet but who knows someday if i have no INS. i might have to.
  7. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

just want to add in realationship to massages that some can benefit from chiropractic adjustments as well.
    I have a secret to share that most people don't know.
    The chiropractor can use a "gun ajuster". its called an "actavator" gun. it fits in the palm of their hand and it looks kinda like a rubber door stop, that you see on the back so the door doesn't hit the wall. it has a rubber tip and the dr. can adjust the amount of pressure, as needed.
    And, yes, sometimes a deep tissue massage can cause a flare, especially if you have immune system problems.
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Sheila,
    You bet! They do hurt. All except myofascial trigger point massages. I don't know why. Maybe they know where to touch. Actually, it hurts me more for someone to gently run their fingers over my skn, than to rub it, except for my legs.

Terry
  9. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I go to a great massage therapist.

If you click on my name, and view my profile, then look down my list of posts, about half way down is a post I started

tips from a massage therapist

or something close to that. I had asked my therapist for tips for fibro folks in finding a good massage person.

Because of my problems with RSD in my shoulder and arm, which is what she is working on now, the massages are incredibly painful.... but that is because RSD is so very painful. I give my therapist full credit for me having use of my hand and arm --- so many people who have RSD cannot stand for their skin to touch anything at all, or have any wind or fabric touch them. Mim has been treating me from the outset of my problem, and all the docs have wanted her number to send people to as they say it is a miracle how she has helped me. I won't let anyone touch my RSD arm in any way except Mim - and my doc if she has to. NO ONE else. With RSD, you get unbelieveable muscle spasms. I have had one in my upper arm, that feels like half an egg under my skin - and it's been in spasm like that for months. She has gradually been able to get it to come down. Last week, it was actually gone for two days... and the docs said it would probably be like that forever! She is amazing. So yes, my treatments hurt. But that's because of the condition I have.

Once a month or so, I go for an extra long session and let her work on the other 75% of me..... just to remind myself that massages can feel good. :)
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Shelia,
    I have had about 4 massages years ago to see if it would help painful areas and I did flare afterwards.

I was told to drink lots of water and I do all the time. My pharmacist has told me to because I'm on so much medicine for so many problems.

The massage feels good while she was giving it and she said my muscles felt tight, but no knots.

I ended up where I just couldn't afford it and I had to get my husband to drive me as it was complicated to get there, so many turns and roads to watch for.

I gave it up and don't feel any worse for it.

I know there are a lot of people who really love getting them, but for me it was just a waste of money.

Hugs,
    Faye
  11. granmama

granmama New Member

I was told by my massage therapist that a Swedish Massage would be too light for me. The Deep Tissue massage would be something I would have to work up to over time and she would not begin me with one.
    So, she suggested a light to medium deep tissue. I started hurting that very night, but the part of my back that really hurts, stopped. I actually felt relief. The direction she rubbed in that area between spine & facet joints worked like a miracle!
    I have only had 2 so far. I wish I could go every week, but I just can't afford it, $55 a pop.
    Do insurance companies cover massages with a script?
    No flares afterward either.
    Last time I had a headache, which was really coming from my shoulder, so she spent more time on the upper body and by the time my session was over, no more headache.
    take care and good luck,
    granmama
  12. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

YES insurance cos DO cover massages with a RX from your Dr! You can call and ask your insurance what benefits you have for massage. They dont like to "ADVERTISE" per se that you can have massage for little to NO cost, but you are entitled, all you gotta do is call. VERY simple. I always have my clients call first so there are NO suprises OR I gladly call for them.

Good luck! You will love it! Just make sure they listen to you about pain level and NEVER let them say that its "GOOD FOR YOU" and you have to hurt in order to get results. NO WAY, NOT TRUE!

I am VERY careful with my fibro clients, you can even call them first and ask them what approach they take with massage and FIBRO. It will save you alot of time.
    ~~~ Karen~~~

13. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I used to get some through myofascial release.It would killme and I would eb sick for days and barely able tomove.
  14. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and have been enjoying reading posts and just had to reply to this one.I had my first deep tissue massage since being diagnosed with FM and had a severe rosacea breakout afterwards. I am sure it was from the hot bath afterwards,and the release of toxins. I don't think it is worth a week of breakouts. I will stick to exercise and stretching. I am thankful for finding this site, being newly diagnosed. Have a great day.
  15. Manina

Manina New Member

Yes they do trigger , and flare up things. Its called releasing toxins! Thats what my daughter claims.

I had one yesterday, luckily my daughter is a CMT.
    Only I have to wait in line.

Just like the shoemaker who's children have no shoes LOL