Do most see a Internist or a Rheumatologist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Feb 18, 2011.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

I went for my disability hearing. The judge was so sweet. I could not ask for more. He did request the I see a Rheumy. I have seen one in years. I see a internist every 3 months for meds. Do most see internist or Rheumatologist?

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

My choice would be an internist. I have seen several rheumys and they were a waste of time,also had to wait serval months to get an appt.

havent met one yet who treats fibro or cfs.
    good luck
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

The worst Dr I ever saw, by far (& that is saying a lot becasue I have had some pretty rotten docs) was a Rheumy......of course that is not saying that they are all bad, but unless I was told some really good things by someone I trust about a particular Rheumy, I would never go back to one.

I have also heard a lot of other bad reports from others re Rheumeys, but again that is not to say that there aren't some good ones out there. For the most part, from what I have heard and from my own experience, they do not really know much about ME or FMS (even though we are often referred to them).....the one I saw said that she treated FM patients, but clearly had no idea about anything to do with it and much of what I have been told is that they either know very little, or worse, their "knowledge" is harmful to us.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It was a Rheumey that confirmed my doctor's diagnoses of CFS. He was the only doctor I saw that really seemed to know anything about CFS.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

They are often the ones patients are referred to for a definitive diagnosis. Are all good? Do they all know a lot about FM? No, just like many "regular" Dr.'s don't.

Many of the busy rheumatologists have other specialties they spend more time on. I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist that my Dr. referred me to. She wanted him to confirm her suspicion. When I made the appointment, the office told me upfront that he diagnoses, but does not treat. He has a small practice and many patients, many RA and other illnesses.

When I met him, I was really sorry he didn't treat on an ongoing basis. I really liked him! GREAT bedside manner. He did give a good outline of a basic plan for me and my Dr.
    I specially remember him saying/writing "Pain management is very important!"

My internist continued treating me. I went to an actual Pain Mgmt clinic at one point. (yuck), My Dr. acted like she knew more about Fibro than I think she actually did. My husband happened to work with a guy who's Mom had Fibro and loved her Dr. I called her and chatted.
    I remember her saying "He does not like his patients in pain".

Going to this rheumatologist is not convenient at all. It's a 2 hr round trip drive. My husband takes off work to take me cause on bad days there's no way I can sit that long in one position.
    One of my first couple of visits I remember him putting his hand on my arm and saying "we're not forgetting about you, there IS research being done" I can't tell you what that did for me.
    Just that small gesture meant the world to me.

He always asks about my life, what kind of stress levels I'm in, my sleep etc. He gives me updates on medications that are going through the FDA approval process. If he could write me a prescription for a month on the beach I think he would because he knows how much the heat (and relaxation) would help me.
    I signed a pain contract with him, so their office is strict about meds etc. which I absolutely respect. He also has one nurse whose personality is worse than a table leg and bitchier than a ticked off terrier but fortunately I don't see her and I kill her with kindness.

Whatever Dr. you choose, interview them, ask about their knowledge, what do they know about research, the latest news and updates, what is their philosophy on pain and managing it?
    I would NEVER write off a Dr. because of a title.

Was that the question? I think going off on tangents is my newest symptom. It's baaaaad.

For me - rheumatologists are who I would recommend. I think they see more FM patients (or diagnose) than a Dr. without a specialty. Don't give up BC, I get ya!
  6. IanH

IanH Active Member

This is news to me and thanks for sharing it. Here in NZ PCP's send people to Rheumatologists when they suspect FMS but send people with suspected ME/CFS to a Neurologist - not that they are more helpful. There are no clinical immunologists anyway and I don't know what they would do for you even though ME/CFS is an immunological disease.