Do Muscle Relaxants work for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kellyslaw, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Help. I have a dr appointment tomorrow for med review and referrals. I was wondering if anyone is taking muscle relaxants for the constant muscle tension assiciated with FM. If you are, can you please tell me what you take, if it works and how much/often. Any advice you could give me I would be really grateful.

Hugs,
    Kelly
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

is what I use too. I find 2mg. usually helps enough during the day without making me too sleepy. An extra pill (to make 4mg.) is good when I'm having those bad stabbing muscle spasms. 4mg. does make me sleepy, but it's worth a nap to get rid of the spasms!

Fortunately, my dr. has written the prescription to allow me the flexibility I need in dosage.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

I take skelaxin about an hour before bed. It helps me because a lot of my pain is caused because the severe spasms cause my back to go severely out of line and I can adjust myself when I wake up in the morning. It also relaxes me enough so I don't need a sleep aid to fall asleep.
  4. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Hi,
    I am new here....
    I have fms/myofacial pain syndrome ( 12 yrs ). I saw a diff. primary physician last week, my regular doctor was on vacation and he added flexiril (sp) at bedtime. I was having cramping in my arm, leg and upper back area.It has seemed to help me. I tried it one time during the day and it made me drogg..ier(word?).
    Oh, it was added to my ambien at night for sleep.
    not new now...lol
    Ginner
  5. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

You are wonderful. I thank each of you for your quick responses. I will take all of these suggestions to my dr with me in the a.m.

As always, you guys are amazing.

Hugs,
    Kelly
  6. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

much until I had to cut way down on mine before I got my Medicare. When I cut down, I had spasms that would knock you off your chair.

Believe it or not, I take 16 mgs. of Zanaflex (sometimes 20) before bed. This plus three other meds to get me to sleep. I wake up about four hours later and take 8 mgs. to go back to sleep. I can take one during the day and it won't make me sleepy but any more and I'm drowsy.

Definitely try something - I think it would help.
  7. kelleyc

kelleyc New Member

I was taking flexeril but it made me very aggressive and angry as a side affect but now I take norflex 100mg twice a day and it helps a lot.
  8. I wish I could get some, my dr. says she doesn't like to use them. grrr.
  9. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I've tried, most of the other's, and I find this helps me the best.
    Been on them for 10 years now, but due more to my other Orthopedic symptoms, than for the FMS.

I do know that when I can reduce the Pain of one condition, that usually lessens the FMS pain.

Hope you find one that will help you,
    sharonk
  10. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I take skelaxin BUT it knocks me out :-(
  11. Hairymel

Hairymel New Member

I've tryed a few and the only one that gives me any relief is zanaflex. I too can only take it at night. Byt thank God I have it I was unable to sleep for weeks before I finally got it.

Good luck,
    Hairymel
  12. pearls

pearls New Member

I take Cyclobenzaprine, prescribed by my doctor. The instructions were to take three a day until the situation is under control and then take as needed. They make me sleepy, which means an added benefit is to help with sleep problems. However, I have problems with dry mouth when I take it, and I hate that part of it. It is usually okay for me to just take one at bedtime for about four days, and then take a day off.

Another way to relax muscles, though, is to learn trigger point massage. This is not like what we usually think of for massage, though. An example of it is what you might do for back muscles. Drop a tennis ball into a sock, hang the sock down your back, and slowly push the ball in one direction across the painful trigger point in your muscle while pressing against the wall as hard as you can. Sometimes I can't get relief from my Vicodin, but I can get relief by doing this kind of massage. For more on this, there is an inexpensive book, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook," by Clair Davies. It is a layman's guide to the work of Doctors Daivd G. Simons and the late, Janet Travell. There are specific ways to massage specific areas of the body.

Pearl S.
  13. dononagin

dononagin New Member

The only thing my rhumie will prescribe for fibro is Cymbalta.. but I get Soma from my PT and it does help alot. I only take them at night.
  14. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

I take Robaxin. I can take it during the day and I am a lightweight as well and I work.

Butterfly, I would see if I could find a doctor who would prescribe that for you because even though it doesn't totally get rid of the pain when you are hurting; it does take the edge off.

Good luck,

Bet2
  15. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I can also take it in the daytime with little affect unless I take it with my tramadol but have learned to time it better. It does take the edge off some but doesn't get rid of it all together.
  16. California31

California31 New Member

Have had similar response from a doc...such doctors ...in my experience know little about FM....and how various meds work with the condition.....
  17. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I've tried several, and have never noticed my myscles relaxing any.

I keep taking them anyway for some reason.
    Mini
  18. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kelly:

I take Flexeril 10mg. twice daily. For me it works wonders.

nyrofan