Do others sweat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Jul 8, 2003.

1. isee

isee New Member

I have had CFS for 20 yrs. In those 20 yrs., except for the
    initial onset, I have not really sweated. Not with fevers, not with heat, not with exercise.

I grew up in New Orleans, and now live in Southern Arizona, and despite the intense humidity in one, and the extreme heat in the other I seldom experience more than faint dampness. True, even before my diagnosis.

Do others with CFS sweat? And, if not, do you think this related to our illness?

Thanks for your input.

Anna

Th
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

for me to sweat. The least exertion and I am mopping my brow. It has definitely gotten worse. I know some of the medication I am on has this as a side effect.

Ellen Comstock
  3. kimkane

kimkane New Member

HI ANNA, I SWEAT LIKE CRAZY, AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS THE GOOD OL' MENOPAUSE, BUT AFTER TAKING INJECTABLE HORMONES FOR 2 YRS MY DR (WHOM ALSO HAS FIBRO AND CFS
    SAID IT IS THE COMBO OF THEM. I DRINK TONS OF PURIFIED
    WATER AND I HAVE A JUICER. IT DID HELP FOR AWHILE. AT
    TIMES IT LOOKS LIKE I JUST GOT OUT OF THE SHOWER.
    I GUESS WE JUST HAVE TO BEAR WITH IT. NEEDLESS TO SAY
    I SPEND ALOT OF TIME AT THE POOL. GOOD LUCK
    KIM
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

I have CFS/FMS and have the same problem with sweating. It is unbelievable at the moment because we have had high humidity in Toronot/Canada for a while and I have learned over the years, that the humidity is bringing on my terrible sweats plus additional fatigue. At the same time, some antidepressants also contribute to the excess of sweating.
    Kind regards, Lucky
  5. FibroNan

FibroNan New Member

I live in Memphis where we have 3H summers. Hot, humid and hazy!!! I go outside and I'm drenched in sweat in less than 5 minutes. I have night sweats too, where I wake up and my gown is soaked. I know that my Paxil probably has a lot to do with it.
    Nancy
  6. aduck

aduck New Member

I did NOT sweat at all when I was even more symptomatic than I am now, when I was more "toxic" with severe itching to the point of almost blacking out and throwing up! I had more "toxic" things in my body then.

When I "detoxified" some by stopping my use of my body lotion and scented products, and by moveing to the ocean, I became stronger (until my relapse 6 weeks ago) and I started sweating again, but not TOO excessively like some of you.

Anna, do you feel you are really "toxic", maybe are you taking medications or are you around any scented products or manmade chemicals? To me, it felt like my body was too "ill" to even sweat, because sweating is a healthly thing if it's not excessive. I don't know the reason why I didn't sweat for sure. Everything just felt so much more WRONG then physically.
  7. isee

isee New Member

Everyone, thanks for your input.

I don't sweat, which I find abnormal - given the climates in which I have lived

Jellybelly - I don't know enough, I guess, to know why I don't sweat. However, my commonsense tells me it must to do with an overload of toxins, perhaps involving my liver. I tested positive for neurotoxins at Dr. Shoemaker's site. I know that neurotoxins recycle in our bile, and our liver can process them. Could that be a factor?
    Also, doesn't the hypothalamus regulate body temperature? I know that many think the hypothalamus could be key to CFS symptoms - that it's injured, somehow?

Aduck - what do you think?

What do others think?

I'd like to know more.
  8. isee

isee New Member

...our livers cannot process toxins...

NOT "our liver can process toxins."

Aduck- yes, I do think my body cannot detox itself. It could have to do with an abundance of neurotoxins: mycoplasmas, bacteria, viruses, heavy metals - all of which lodge themselves in fatty tissues, and remain trapped for years. So, if they're trapped, I guess they can't be broken down or expelled through our waste.

Yes, I understand that sweat is both a part of our body's waste elimination and cooling systems.

Anna
  9. soprok

soprok New Member

I am new here and when I saw this topic I had to read. I sweat so bad that after a shower, by the time I dry off and get dressed. I am soaked again. Doc. keep saying it is menopose. I say no. I do have a multi nodual goiter. They keep watching it. Did biopsi on one solid one was ok. One growing solid couldn't get to. I think at end of month when I see doc. in Pitt. I am going to tell her that I want them removed or I will find another doc. My family is full of cancer and I can't see waiting for it to turn bad to take it out. I do believe it is a combo of my Fibro and those cystes that cause a lot of my problems.
    Thanks again. I thought I was the only one that sweat like this. Debbie
  10. larayne

larayne New Member

I never used to sweat however I do now. Especially after a hot bath or shower which I feel is probably normal but I have to wait awhile before I put my makeup on. Which is bothersome; however I have night sweats. I wake up ringing wet. This bothers me but I have not discussed it with a doctor or anyone else. Any ideas????I'd like to hear them. Thanks and am glad someone brought this up. LaRayne
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I was born and raise in New Orleans too, now live in Ponchatoula, La. I never sweat either before the FM hit. I don't have CFS, but the FM will cause you to sweat. I read it in Devin Starlanyl's book on FM.

The night sweats are the worst. I wake up go check the thermostat, its near 68 degrees and I am drenched in sweat.

It also happens during the day, but not as bad as at nightime during sleep. Also after a bath/shower. I am just as wet after I dry myself than when I was in the water!

I have been sweating like this for over 16 years now. By the way, I am thin, so if anyone has a little weight on them, don't think that is whats causing the sweats, its the illness, not weight.

I keep the house at 69-70 degrees at all times, colder at night, and I am still sweating.

If this is getting rid of toxins, those 'suckers' must not have a chance in my body :)

I do know that if you don't prespire it is usually caused by a liver condition. My father did not sweat, he died of a liver condition. (NO he did not drink alcohol, not even beer).

As for meds, the only one I take is low dose Xanax once a day. So its not that either.

HOpe this answers your question.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 07/09/2003]
  12. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

I have lived down south all my life. Never use to sweat. Now, since I have Fibromyalgia and Hypothyroidism I sweat everyday and I hate it. The least little bit of exercise I do makes me sweat. Walking my dog, makes me sweat. I never use to. It has to be this illness.
    HURTSALOT2
  13. shazz

shazz New Member

In the middle of the winter I will bail out to the front porch, (I live in South Dakota)in my nightgown to cool off.
    Poor hubby, he has to sleep in long underwear in the winter because I have the window open, even at our extremely low winter temps.
    I too thought it was the hot flashes of menopause, and kept increasing my estrogen to try and get rid of that problem.
    I am on a huge dose now, and though it is less I still break out in a sweat lots of times even when not exerting myself. I think it must be a part of the disease.
    Wish I had remedy to share, but I just don't.
  14. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

I know this is about not sweating, but is has turned into both! I have sudden sweats during the day and at night now. Never used to happen except during "normal" times like exercise. Some people tease me and say menopause, but in my family menopause comes late and I am not that age yet. Does anyone know why? Hypothalamus gone awry?
    Thanks,
    Unpleasantly Damp
  15. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

My son who is 7 is the same way already.Whatever it is I inherited it from my mom and her side of the family.All my medical tests are normal.
  16. isee

isee New Member

Why do you say that people who DO NOT SWEAT have a liver condition? Can I get information about this on the internet?

Also, I lived in New Orleans in the 50s and 60s, at a time when people ate fish and shrimp from Lake Ponchatrain, as well as the Sound from the Gulf of Mexico.

They "closed" Lake Ponchatrain in the early 60s because of pollution. And, I know chemical and oil industries dumped tons of pollutants into the Gulf, and its tributaries, as well as the Sound. Like many in that area, I ate all kinds of fish, and shellfish, including soft-shelled crab. So, I feel like I must be laden with fish-bacteria illnesses. Never mind, the mercury poisoning.

Then, of course, there's the drinking water in a place where the Mississippi River runs through it.

New Orleans isn't the only polluted city in the US, but it must rank pretty high among the ones that are.

Interestingly, I was never really sick, physically, as a kid. Although, I began experiencing depression, and had learning disabilities(concentration, impaired memory) when I was about ten. The depression tapered off in my 30s, and it's been years since I've really felt depressed. I'm now 52. Since the initial onset in 1984, I've had 4 relapses of CFS, about every 6 years, each one relapse lasting a year - but little depression has accompanied these relapses. But my cognitive impairment does get worse with each one.

Do you think pollution has played a role in your illness?

I would also like to hear from others who DO NOT SWEAT.

Thanks,

Anna
  17. pands45

pands45 New Member

In my 27 years, before I had Fibro I guess u could say, I never or very rarely sweat. But for the past 5 years, I sweat alot at night especially. I get really soaked when I have something really bothering me. Its disgusting. But I am relieved that this is what everyone goes through. However u say u dont, hmm. That is really interesting. I live in Mass, and even in the summer I dont sweat any more than I do any other time of the year. Cant wait to find out y u dont. Interesting. Sherri
  18. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

HI yes i get the sweats alot i wake up like i just got out of a swimming pool. during the day sometimes too. it seems to be worse on my bad days. kris
  19. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Sweating is supposed to be controlled by the autonomic nervous system, dysfunction can cause no sweat, or too much from what I understand. Ran across quite a few pages on the web mentioning relationship to autonomic nervous system dysfunction and CFS/FM. Copy and paste in chronic fatigue autonomic nervous system (the whole mess) in google to see what I mean.

Also reading on adrenal function, excess sweating can be a symtom of adrenal fatigue/exhaustion? But a couple of sites I remember mentioned the opposite, decreased sweating??

Sorry...I have been reading far too much lately...surprised I am remembering any of it though! My memory normally stinks. LOL

Hardly ever broke a sweat for years, now the last few years someone left the d&$$ faucet on.

Take care,
    Danny