Do people get cured from fm?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gypsy101, Oct 25, 2006.

1. gypsy101

gypsy101 New Member

I read one post here that said if you get "cured" of fm, you never really had fm. Then there's all these great stories of recovery, 90% recovery, 50% recovery and hope for full recovery....

Please tell me what the deal is. Is there recovery?

I'm thinking my doc misdxed me anyway, but then I start to ache again adn wonder if I have a sllloooowww progressing form? Which I'd read is what some people think they have??? I'm confused.
  2. gypsy101

gypsy101 New Member

I just read something in another post about "post viral fatigue"!!!!! Could all my problems be stemming from the only virus I know I had recently, Fifth's disease???? Holy crap! I'm so shocked at the medical community. I learn so much over the internet!
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

How can we all of a sudden have enough.Linda
  4. gypsy101

gypsy101 New Member

And now I'm thinking that I have a bad case of Fifth's disease...!!!!!!! How do you treat that? I only read that it clears on it's own.. Is it like lymes? I've never had lymes. I think I'm on to something here. I've been in terrible health ever since my kids got fifths disease. I think it's not cured in my body, like it's still festering there.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

but try to keep that "Hope" alive~

but after 13 yrs og this DD and trying an awful lot of things that are suppose to help,.... I'm not any better.
    (thats me)

I think Fibro and CF have many reasons or 'stems '
    For some of us its from
    infections,some trauma be it physical or mental,some believe spinal injurys or malfunctionsof the brain .
    The puzzle is way to huge!
    I just know I've progressed,.... and drs. usually say that it is'nt progressive. (They lied)
  6. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

if by slow progressing form, you mean that your symptoms are coming on gradually, then yes, that can happen. it happened with me.

it wasn't until three months into being sick did i present with horrible pain from FM.

as for cures, i don't know. there really is no effective cure, and i think what people mean by recovery is that they're getting their symptoms under control.

FM/CFS are usually diagnosis that are last resort--as in, your doctor couldn't find anything wrong with you, so they point to these syndromes.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are a whole bunch of illnesses which are very difficult to diagnose and many of the symptoms of one illness can mimic those of another. With FMS, if one has 11 of the tender spots and they occur in all quadrants of the body, one can "officially" be considered to have FMS. Thing that not everyone fits this cookie cutter description. Some people develop FMS quickly and for some, it creeps up on them. Some seem to develop it as a primary illness and for others, it appears to be secondary to another condition.

Then, there are those with CFIDS, many of whom developed it following some kind of flu-like illness, undue stress, and/or exposure to some kind of toxin.

Docs will try to eliminate other illnesses and when they can find no other explanation, they decide we have one, or both, of these illnesses (I have both). There are now some new tests for these illnesses which make diagnosis more accurate. Most of us have probably not had these tests. At least, these tests provide the evidence that these illnesses even exist to the long time skeptics in the medical field.

A lot of people have probably been misdiagnosed and may even eventually find out they have some other illness instead of FMS/CFIDS. This seems to have happened in the case of Lyme Disease. Docs used to think Lyme is rare. We now know it isn't.

Our illnesses can be remitting/relapsing. This means that we can go into remissions where we do feel cured. My own opinion is that there is no cure but that our own bodies can recover from some of the triggers which set of our illnesses. I recovered many times only to finally succumb when the mycoplasma infection brought on the CFIDS full blown and an ensuing auto accident brought on my FMS like gangbusters. I can look clear back into early childhood, in retrospect, and recognize early symptoms. I do believe we are genetically predisposed to our illnesses and research is bearing this out. Mutated genes have been found in PWC.

I will be the first to jump for joy when there is a known cause and cure. In the meantime, I don't obsess on being cured but rather using whatever treatments help me to overcome my illnesses. I have had great success but progress is so slow that I often have to look back a few years to see how far I've come. I do have relapses and they can usually be traced to something else going on. Right now, I'm about to have my nonfunctioning gallbladder removed. It is likely responsible for my six months of relapse. Because I have no stones, and because it didn't become acute until about a month ago, it has taken a long time to surface. Many times, our relapses are simply other things and we need to be careful that we don't blame any new symptoms on our chronic illnesses.

I have no concrete answers. One of my college profs told us that one measure of maturity is the ability to live with ambiguity. We are creatures who never rest until we have answers to our questions. I think this is all to the good but in the meantime, we sometimes have to be patient. I do believe there will be a cause and cure or should I say, causes and cures (which is more than likely going to be the case).

Love, Mikie