Do people with Fibro qualify for handicapped parking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dainty45, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I would love to go to fairs, the mall and other places, but you have to park way out. By the time you get to the store, or the park, or the fair, my legs are already sore. I would rather walk inside these places, with the ability to rest when needed. If anyone knows about this subject, please give me a shout?

SB
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I had a handicap plackard because of bad knees, Cfids and Fibro. I exchanged it for a handicapped licence plate.

It seems to me, that you would qualify . I think many people on this board,do. Just ask your Dr. for one. My Dr. actually suggested it.

I changed it for a license place because, even though the plackard was permanent, I still had to pay to renew it every year. One year I forgot and was give a hefty ticket ($324.00), which was later reduced to $15.00, when I proved that I had just forgotten. The license plate is free in California, and as long as I pay my yearly registration, I don't have to worry about the handicapped part of it.

Good luck,
    Terry
  3. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

says you qualify, then you qualify. And if you feel you need it and your doctor doesn't, go to a different doctor.
    Barb
  4. Well according to my rheumatologist fibro patients don't. But I sure think we do. Ask your dr. different drs. probably have different opinions.
  5. TAM

TAM New Member

HI,
    Yes people with fibro qualify for handicapped parking,
    I told my family doctor how bad my legs hurt to walk and how i can't walk far just like you, and she filled out the paper you needed to get one.

So just explain the problem to your doctor and they shouldn't have a problem giving you one.

GOOD LUCK TAKE CARE. TAMMY
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I live in Massachusetts. I am not sure if you qualify because of the dx of Fibro, but they symptoms that cause impairment qualify you. I am only 25 and ive had a placard for over 4 years. Sometimes I cannot walk without stopping from the pain. That is an option on the sheet in my state..."Cannot walk over 50 feet without having to stop and rest" That is how I got mine. Although I dont use it all the time becasue I feel OK sometimes.

Stephanie