do SAD lights help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I was thinking of trying a SAD light, any experiences? I really go downhill when it's cloudy, I guess the candida thing is part of it. Thanx. :)
  2. kbak

kbak Member

I have the same problem and my daughter has it really bad. You will always find me in sunlight. In winter I'm always by a sunny window. The lights are good if your in a cloudy area. They help a lot if you can't get out into the sun. Their a back-up for me. Lucily I live in a high sun state. We have sun the majority of the time. Altho I am noticing that we are getting more cloudy days then we've ever had.
  3. Shannonsparkles

Thanks for writing! Were your SAD lights expensive? Where do you buy them? Are there different kinds and what is best?
    I think I will ask around to see if anyone has one that I can borrow for a while to try. When you say that it shouldn't be used as a reading lamp, do you mean that it should just be used on schedule instead of whenever?
    Thanks for the help. :) Shannon
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm going to finally try one this year. I get terrible winter SAD, and you'd think I would have tried it earlier, but I can be so excrucitatingly light sensitive just to a mild lamp. I can't imagine having to use it in the morning, ack. When I'm really sick I have to wear sunglasses for at least an hour after I get up, and that's w/ the shades all drawn.

Even my shrink, who is the most wonderful doc, is concerned about how a person w/ such light sensitive person will handle this. We've discussed it and thought I might have to go w/ one of the older types that were much less intense and required hours in front of it. the new ones are much stronger light and can take as little as half hour for some.

Initially, I'll probably borrow one from the Royal Ottawa hosp. where I see my shrink. If I buy, disability will pay (w/ tons of paperwork and hoops, and doc note). Independant companies will let you have them on a trial w/ option to buy usually too.

Make sure you take extra vitamin D too, it's another big factor. I take salmon oil and always had to up it in winter, but I thought that was just for my skin. I have vitamin D lined up to start in fall and will get some dessicated liver too, which is great (and cheap) for winter.

Jeanne
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I use one each winter; it sits behind the recliner, and I use it while warming my back up and drinking coffee, etc. each morning. It goes into storage each spring, but helps me during the winters.

Hope this helps.

Sue
  6. Shannonsparkles

Yes, I do get SAD in winter. It starts in October, the month that my mother died when I was a child, so the worst possible time. Maybe this year will be different! Thank you for all your support. (())
  7. artseyone

artseyone New Member

My psychiatrist suggested in 2002 I go online to buy my lamp..She gave me a list of online distributors that were good..I'm sorry to say, I no longer have that info...but, if you went online you'd be able to find what you need..
    I know it has helped me esp now that I've been in the midwest after moving from the south.
    In fact I hate to think about winter as I feel worse then than I do in any other season...
    Artseyone
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

and been able to manage the extreme brightness?

I'm esp. intrigued by the lady who puts it behind her. I like the idea of warming my back w/ it. But I thought it had to be in front to give benefit and you do your thing and just glance at it occasionally?

Jeanne
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

I've heard this can help mood and energy too. Has anyone done it and noticed it helped some? I know it's not the same as SAD light boxes, but that maybe it gives a little boost all year round.

I hate flourescents, they irritate me immediately, so I won't have them at home. Even regular bulbs I find irritating to a lesser extent. I take advantage of natural light from windows for as long as I can up to dusk. And it has to be one very gloomy day before I ever use lights in daytime. Even gloom is preferable.

Jeanne
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada