Do shots take longer to take effect with FM/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Nov 29, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I was wondering, I got a shot last week for what they think is torn cartilage. The pain was supposed to go away within 24 hours and the shot was supposed to of kicked in by yesterday if it was going to kick in at all.

The pain from the cortisone shot hasn't gone away, the pain I was already having is twice as bad--I can't write with my arm anymore.

It's been eight days now and no improvement at all. Do shots take longer to take effect in people with FM/CFS, that anyone knows of?

I'm really hoping the effects are just delayed, because the last option is surgery...so I was just curious.

Thanks, Danielle.
  2. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

mustluvdogs,
    Thanks for the reply. They've given my arm a long time to heal though (the injury happened all the way back in early august). They've had it in a firm arm brace for almost two months now, and so the next step was the cortisone shot.

I've been hanging on to a little bit of hope that the FM is just preventing the shot to work as fast as usual, but seeing as how everyone I've talked to didn't have pain after two days, I doubt it.

There's really nothing else to do if this doesn't work, except leave it alone or do surgery. They're not exactly sure what the problem is, which complicates it. It's either a torn tendon or a torn TFC cartilage.

They were doing the shot as a diagnostic tool, to see if it really was the TFC; if I'm still in pain by the time I go back to see the orthopedic surgeon, then they're going to suggest surgery.

I'm only sixteen; I can't handle not being able to use my arm, and I don't want to leave it alone because I know I'll only regret it in several years when there's nothing I can do.

I can't get a second opinion because A. I don't have time. It took me several months to get in to the orthopedist, and going to any other would take several more. and B. again, I'm sixteen. There's not alot of orthopedists around here that take minors--only the big hospitals.

-Danielle