Do smells bother you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SPR30, Aug 27, 2003.

1. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Hi! I went to a large theme park this past weekend and ugh, other peoples smells make me gag.
    I even have to approve (sniff test) the soap, deoderant, cologne and shampoos my family uses. Having a house guest is awful, because it takes weeks to get their "smell" out of my home. I am very particular about liquid soap, fabric softener and laundry detergent,etc..(hairspray is out entirely) Can't tell you how hard it is to find perfume that I can wear. When I find products I can use and like it is like going on a mission to find them in stores and stock up on them. All the citrus and cucumber melon scents out there, oooh just make me queasy thinking of it. Am I weird????? I seem to notice odors very keenly. Sometimes people act like I smell what isn't there and I get very annoyed!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2003]
  2. Ellie5748

Ellie5748 New Member

Yes , there are so many that bother me, and I can relate to when you find something that works, you stock up on it. For cleaning, I've found that cucumber is the only thing I can tolerate. I even asked my cleaning lady to use only that. She was using citrus and it about killed me. I'm looking into , and I may be wrong about this, a uro filter system. It's suppose to take ALL smells out of the air. If it works, I'll let you know. Take care.

Regards,

Ellen
  3. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

someone walks in the front-door I can tell what they've eaten and where they've eaten it.

My family laughs and calls me a bloodhound but it's not funny. I can smell EVERYTHING. I can't use perfumed anything and I hate the chemical smell my clothes have after being washed in "No perfume, no dye" soap.

Food loses its appeal after I catch the smell of it, good or bad.

Seriously, I have even thought of having my nose cauterized.

Yuck,

Sandra
  4. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I appreciate your feedback. Shirley6, I took Klonopin for a couple of months and it gave me headaches and hangovers and did nothing good for me. It is a central nervous system drug (mostly) used to treat seizure and nervous disorders. Please reasearch this drug before you try it and good luck!
    (and for anyone who is interested, my son had alot of cauterization done on his nose this year as he suffered severe nosebleeds. it doesnt change you sense of smell. i eman no offense, just sharing what I know to be true of my experieces, thanks)

[This Message was Edited on 08/27/2003]
  5. wle

wle New Member

I can hardly wear perfume any more and hate for my husband to wear cologne. Scented candles are out! Hairspray is a no no! Almost everything in the smell department makes me sick any more. WLE (FM)
  6. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

My sense of smell has really improved, if you want to call it that, in the past 10 years suffering with Fibro. Smells like gasoline, popcorn or eucalyptus (that didn't use to bother me) make me nauseous now. Peoples' body odors really stand out... especially perspiration. Even my own body smells nasty to me anymore.

I really love the Clinque perfume/lotion called "Happy." It has a nice fresh orange/flowery clean scent. I use it on my hands and body, and to make the bathroom smell better. It's not cheap, but the smell is very therapeutic to me.
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can out 'smell' a bloodhound any old time! I also 'hear' better than my dogs.

It is sensory overload, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivies.

It does come in handy at times though.

I spray my nose, and put Oil of Oragono under my nose before I go anywhere. It does help stop a sinus attack from odors, but does not stop me from smelling anything.

Most of the soaps, laundry detergents, etc. that I use are odorless. As for perfume I am down to just two; 'Oscar de la Renta' and an old favorite 'Chanel #5'.
    So far can't handle anything else. These are made from natural flowers so that might be why they don't bother me. MOst perfume today is made from pure chemicals.

Candles are out of the question, unless they are pure bee's wax with no added scent.

I stay out of the store areas that sell candles, perfumes, fertilizers, cleaning products, chemical sprayes, etc. Its a pain in the butt, but it beats the sinus attacks from these odors.

I also am particular whose house I go in, Christmas for example, I went to my son's, and my DIL had supposed odorless candles burning, in an hours time my face was swollen and I have a headache that was beyond belief. I was taking Tylenol Sinus, and drinking a gallon of water on the way home, never again.

Earthy odors do not bother me much anymore, but I can't handle chemicals in any form.

I had to laugh about the 'house guest' you mentioned, boy that was a big time problem for me, but I solved it.

No more over night guests, the last time my grandson stayed here he put that 'Tommy' perfume on, what a headache! I made him go take a shower :) He leaves it home now when he's here. Good kid!

My cousin would come for weekends, but I had to stop that, between her 'Opium' perfume, scented hair spray, sented deodorant, etc. I was sick as a dog all weekend. Never again.

I put the attic fan on after people leave here, that helps get the 'odors' out of the house.

I guess its just us, but it seems like people wear too many different scents at one time these days, and when combined they do not smell so good!!!!

Have you ever followed someone in a public bathroom and the air is thick with dusting powder and perfume?? That happened to me a few times, I changed my mind about using the facilities!

You are not alone, I drive my family batty with what I 'smell'.

Shalom, Shirl

8. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I am keeping up with your replies and they are great!
    As one of you mentioned hearing is heightened for me too.
    I am to the point where I want no one to visit my home (or ride in my car) and I am limited to who's home I can go to. I smell other people's homes on me when I leave. It is so sickening!
    Oh, and fluorescent lighting makes me sick too, by the time I finish shopping at Wal-mart I can barely see straight.
    It is however comforting to know you guys are there for me!
    So far I seem to suffer from ALL the things that come with FMS all the sensitivities and what not. I cannot even wear gold or simply whispers earrings, I feel so betrayed by my own body, I am allergic to band aids and adhesives to the point my hysterectomy incision came open last year, I could go on and on. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can make a suggestion with the lighting in stores like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Low's, wear some light lens sunglasses (like a rose tint type).

The lighting in the above stores is brighter than noon day sun thats why they make you feel sick.

I came very close to passing out in Wal-Mart a few years ago, and would not go in there anymore. A friend told me to try the sun glasses, they worked.

I can't go out in the bright sun either without sun glasses, I actually feel ill and faint.

By the way, I stay out of Wal-Mart if at all possible, its too big, too bright, too noisy, too many odors from the new products, and the concrete floors are a killer on my back!

Shalom, Shirl

10. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I had to stop wearing perfume and scented deodorant. I get migraines from other people's perfume and can't be anywhere around any chemicals or cigarettes. When I bring my dog for a bath, I have to make sure they don't spray her with anything afterwards or that makes me sick too. Even food smells make me sick lately.
  11. Pryna

Pryna New Member

That is sooo interesting. I have always been extrordinarily sensitive to smells. Just the other week, a woman sat next to me on the subway chewing mint gum, and I thought I would be sick. The perfumes that are heavy floral just kill me. The only scent I can wear is vanilla or White musk by the Body shop.
    So I guess this is all part of the hyper-jacked up sensory systems with FMS. hmmm.
  12. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

In hindsight, I can remember having alot of problems and oddities as a child even. I have always been more in tune to stimuli and always different from others. Who knows how long we have FMS before it gets bad or diagnosed????
  13. 600

600 New Member

Lysol and Mr.Clean does my in! Also,the air that comes out of the dryer vent outside,when people use fabric softener.
  14. donna13210

donna13210 Member

And how about the household cleaner and the pesticide aisles at the stores??

YUUUUUUUUUCK! Talk about getting nauseated !!!!!
  15. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

but I had to go scent free several years ago. I get like a bronchitis/asthma from scents. I litterally cough to death!
    People think I'm crazy because I can smell scents that they can't or never bothered with. My hearing is also keen.

Most everything I use is unscented and natural. Got my cleaning lady using vinegar, baking soda, borax to clean the house. It may not smell like spring flowers, but it's sqeaky clean and then I don't suffer.

Candles put fumes in the air--didn't think about bees wax!

I can tolerate good vanilla scent and peppermint. That's about it. I have found a good variety of cosmetics and lotions at my health food store (Whole Foods) that are unscented.

I feel deprived of things. People can't bring me flowers--I have to put them on the screened porch. I can tolerate roses however, I guess they are too expensive for some people to bring.

The smell of cooking oils frying kills me. Popcorn in the movie theatre. I can go on and on. My kids tell me I should live in a glass bubble.

Tania
  16. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

including smells. Have to dodge the perfume counters in the stores here, because they make me feel so 'swimmy'/nauseous. Very few perfumes I can tolerate.

My Mum-in-law did some washing for me whilst I was on holiday with my family, as a favour. BUT she used fabric conditioner - it really makes me feel sick each time I smell it. I'm going to have to warn her not to use it, should she ever do me a favour again:)

It's not only smells though, but noise and the texture of things and discomfort from practically any one of the 'five' senses, that can cause problems of one kind or another. And the hypersensitivity can vary - from being hardly noticeable to being very extreme dring a 'flare'. Even washing or brushing my hair 'hurts' if it's a bad one.

I try to keep my home as 'smell-free' as possible - not easy when you have a teenage daughter:)

Cheers
    Ruth
    aka HuggyMummy

17. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Boy do they ever! There is nothing scented in my home - it is my safe place. When my kids were teens they had to keep cologne outside of the house. My daughter had to spray her hair with the bathroom door closed, window open and fan blowing.

I use only Shaklee cleaners because there is no odor. I've had the same pest control man for 20 years because he uses a no odor spray. I use bounce free for my clothers dryer.

Co-workers know I can't tolerate smells and if they have just put lotion on they tell me as I approach they'll come see me in 10 minutes which gives it time to dissipate. The bathroom at work is very irritating, I just try not to breathe (LOL).

Anytime I have surgery and receive flowers, I take a picture of them and keep them in a room I don't go into or in the garage. I just remember they sent them with love and don't complain.

I also tell the guys at the car wash to NEVER put scents in my car.

So, no you are not weird or else we all are!
  18. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

This is one of the most annoying parts of this illness. I haven't worn any perfume in years, and use only unscented moisturizers. I found a deodarant with an "aloe" smell, and that doesn't bother me. For cleaning the house I just use vinegar and water. It's mild and doesn't smell (pine sol will make me vomit in a minute!) My dear ol' mom is in love with scented candles and those little air fresheners that you plug in. I can't stand going over there! She's removed some at my request, and she tries to put them away when I come over. But the smell is still there, and I go home with the scent on my clothes! Ugh. And just thinking about it is making me feel yuck. Ha!
    Nay
  19. seaview

seaview New Member

Thankfully I am not as bad as most of you but with 5 kids and lots of friends(theirs) I go nuts with the smells. I hate going in public.....between perfume,cigarettes, and so on I have to wash my hair when I get home or I can not stand myself.....so heres to nose plugs and the quiet wee hours of the morning....:)
  20. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

smells bother me too. i no longer wear perfume & my husband has FINALLY gotten the message and he only uses 1 or 2 kinds and very little of those. i can tolerate shower gel if it is the vanilla scent; also citrus scents do not bother me. for the first time ever, this past winter the fireplace bothered me. :( there seems to be no way to avoid the cosmetics counters in the dept stores as they put them in the center aisles by the doors leading into the mall. also, about candles, scented or not, the ones with a metal wick will give off an odor and are dangerous too.
    i had no idea this smell sensitivity was linked to MCS. i just never thought about it!

[ advertisement ]