Do startling noises make you flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bigfoot, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Anyone have this problem. Whenever my alarm clock goes off or the phone rings unexpectedly, it sets off a short-lived flare. Since I'm currently working at home and have problems with this, I can't imagine going back to a busy office with phones ringing constantly. Is this weird or what?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2002]
  2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Anyone have this problem. Whenever my alarm clock goes off or the phone rings unexpectedly, it sets off a short-lived flare. Since I'm currently working at home and have problems with this, I can't imagine going back to a busy office with phones ringing constantly. Is this weird or what?
  3. Cindi

Cindi New Member

All noises make me flare! The phone ringing, TV, the kids, dog barking, LOUD family get togethers...they all drive me crazy!!! I wish there were a way to "fix" this. With all of the family get togethers coming up during the holidays, I wonder how I'll get through this??
    I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!!

Hugs-
    Cindi
  4. little

little Member

Just when you think that you are the only one, someone comes along with it. I should know better. Coming to this site for the last few months has helped me cope much better with this DD. I usually go to my bedroom by six at night. I just can't stand one more sound. I have to turn the tv off by 8pm. I put on soft music very low. I can't even have a light on. I have been having trouble with my family lately about the noise. So I just go to my room. Such a life. By coming to this site I have learned alot. Especially about pacing my self. Gail
  5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Yes! Exactly the same! The kids being loud or arguing, TV too loud, get-togethers with family/friends,etc. This just seems so strange to me. It makes me more unsociable than I'd like to be. Anyone else have this or have any tips on dealing with it? I don't want to live like a hermit by hiding in a dimly lit room away from commotion!
  6. achy

achy New Member

I have finally gotten my hubby to understand why I get tense in Walmart. Too much activity and noise. Its sensory overload and very common with FM/CF.
    One of hubby's favorite things to do is come sliding into the living room doing a whoop haa kinda thing. (We have wood floors 7 he has thick socks) Yes, he is nuts.....
    But for the past year this puts me right into a BAD GRUMPY Agitated mood. I told him to let me know he was coming and just don't shout. The rest of it is adorable...he's so cute.
    Also I have a lab that gets scared of anything. He got hit by a car in our front yard when he was a pup. Anytime he "thinks" somebody is outside he throws a fit. I feel like somebody is turning me inside out.
    Same for car horns, children yelling, even thunder can get me.
    The only help I have found is Xanax. Yes, another cottin pickin drug. It seems to turn down the volume....
    Just another factor in thie DD!

Warm (silent) Fuzzies
    Achy
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sometimes its worst than at other times.

I think its because we are over sensitive to noise, sounds, lights, etc.
    My hearing is unbelievable acute, my sense of smell is the same. My eyes are very sensitive to lights too.

I live with the remote in my hands, when the commercials come on, I need to turn down the volumn.

I trained the dogs (I have five of them, three inside, two outside), when they bark, I say 'quiet', and they shut up! If they didn't I would go bunkers!

In certain stores, I have to wear sunglasses, the lights will literally make me ill. Wal-Mart, HOme Depot, Lows, are the prime culprits. I don't shop in stores that have loud music either, not to mention I don't go near cosmetic counters, the purfumes are killers.

Don't feel bad, you are not alone.

Shalom, Shirl

8. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I go to my bedroom and turn off the light and TV, and turn on the soft music for my "wind down", too! I need to feel peaceful at the end of the day.

Bigfoot - yes, this does affect us socially! I don't want to be a "hermit", either. I just try to pace myself, and find as much quiet time as I can. I try to prepare myself if I know I'll be in a situation that will bring on sensory overload!!

Cindi
  9. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

the past two times i have been there just could not handle the cart afriad i would hit some one i know it was my fault . but it must be the noise and the lights .Then i left the cart and lost it . in a ile that wasted a lot of time , but i found it . I wish they had baskets at times . found my husband made him push it .we went to the gocery store a few days later i had to let him push the cart it must have been the lights and the pepole. so i do not think this is weird it is just what we have to put up with .also i miss the old days when we where all well bye norma
  10. beans

beans New Member

I started to buy ear plugs in boxes of 200 and I am on my second box. I have many eye covers around the house.

I sleep at night and during the day with ear plugs and eye cover.

I often keep these in my car and purse.

Often TV is very anoying and makes me grouchy.

I have had to wear ear plugs just around the house or yard on some days if noise in our quiet neighbor hood is loud.

I hate all leave blowers and loud mowers.

Ear plugs help greatly but I had to search for very small ones.

Beans

I love quiet!

11. pamela

pamela New Member

YUP!!! The alarm radio when it goes off...peel me off the ceiling!! HA!!! Any noise...my poor husband loves music and when we go riding in his van for errands he tries to play music.. I use to LOVE music...now I can't really stand any of it unless its real low and its something like Nat King Cole.. Oh boy I thought I would never like that and now I love it. Anyway, light, and all kinds of noise kill me.. I just work because I have to or I would be at home right now in the dark w/ my black light on and my fishes on!!! The insurance and retirement is too good!!! Pamela
  12. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I can relate to all that you all said, it is a very hard thing for me to get under control, I really get upset when my son constantly narrates a news show or documentary or basically everything going on, he is ADHD and it is not a good mic, fibro & adhd, he is a constant chatterbox and I have to tell him amny many times each day to please not share every single thought he has, just the important ones, we cannot get him to tell us what happened at school today, but we get to hear every single thought. Driving on a trip is especially hard too, my hubby & I both have family about 5 hours away in different directions so we frequently go visit, a road trip is the worst.

I think it is the adrenalin rush, our stupid bad acting adrenals getting to us.

Sedatives would do the trick (zanax) but I cannot take them as I did for 12 yrs & developed major problems, I just have to keep on begging him constantly & I do avoid social functions, I am a hermit 90% of the time.

Jaci
  13. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I have a son who is 18, who is ADHD! He's finally starting to slow down since he's older...something for you to look forward to :eek:) My 14 yr. old has a genetic disorder that is neurological, and has seizures and learning disabilities, etc. When he was little, we were told that he may never talk!! Well - guess what?? He proved the doctors wrong!! He is also a 'nonstop chatterbox!!" I love him dearly, but sometimes I have to ask him to give mom a break!! I'll tell him I need my quiet time, and need to shut my bedroom door. When I'm doing better, then we'll talk, and talk, and talk.....

Cindi
  14. lilwren

lilwren New Member

makes me feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of a nervous meltdown. It has caused me to become reclusive. Between the sensory overload, fatigue and pain I am trapped in my own home. Xanax is the only way I can make it to a doctor appointment. Riding in the car, with all the road noises and movements, puts me in a flare - too much brain stimulation I guess. TV commercials are the worst! My husband is constantly 'popping' up out of no where and scaring the wits out of me. I told him I was going to put a bell around his neck so I'd hear him coming. :)

I'd love to find an herb that worked as well as xanax!

love,
    Sharon L