do these results mean lupus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamj, Jan 10, 2006.

1. pamj

pamj New Member

my infectious disease doctor feels that I have lupus & has referred me to a rheumatologist... unfortunately, there is a wait for my appointment, so I've been wondering.

Here are my recent lab results:

positive ANA - 1:640 pattern nucleolar
    leukopenia (low white count) - 3800
    elevated CRP - 1.33

I've also been dealing with recurring hair loss.

I've been diagnosed with CFS for the past 4 years, with fevers, fatigue, joint pain, digestive trouble, headaches, fainting, etc... but now I'm wondering if it's actually been an early stage of lupus? or do I have both?

Any input?

thanks, Pam

2. JLH

JLH New Member

I have lupus, and it sounds as if you do too.

Here is some info on lupus that you might want to read:

Lupus Symptoms List

TABLE 1. SYMPTOMS OF LUPUS

Percentage Symptom

95% Achy joints (arthralgia)
    90% Fever over 100 degrees F (38 degrees C)
    81% Prolonged or extreme fatigue
    90% Arthritis (swollen joints)
    74% Skin Rashes
    71% Anemia
    50% Kidney Involvement
    45% Pain in the chest on deep breathing (pleurisy)
    42% Butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose
    30% Sun or light sensitivity (photosensitivity)
    27% Hair loss
    17% Raynaud's phenomenon (fingers turning white and/or blue in the cold)
    15% Seizures
    12% Mouth or nose ulcers

Diagnosis

Because many lupus symptoms mimic other illnesses, are sometimes vague and may come and go, lupus can be difficult to diagnose.

Diagnosis is usually made by a careful review of a person's entire medical history coupled with an analysis of the results obtained in routine laboratory tests and some specialized tests related to immune status.
    Currently, there is no single laboratory test that can determine whether a person has lupus or not.

To assist the physician in the diagnosis of lupus, the American Rheumatism Association issued a list of 11 symptoms or signs that help distinguish lupus from other diseases (see Table 2). A person should have four or more of these symptoms to suspect lupus. The symptoms do not all have to occur at the same time.

TABLE 2

THE ELEVEN CRITERIA USED FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF LUPUS

Criterion Definition:

• Malar Rash
    Rash over the cheeks
    Discoid Rash
    Red raised patches

• Photosensitivity
    Reaction to sunlight, resulting in the development of or increase in skin rash

• Oral Ulcers
    Ulcers in the nose or mouth, usually painless

• Arthritis
    Nonerosive arthritis involving two or more peripheral joints (arthritis in which the bones around the joints do not become destroyed)

• Serositis

• Pleuritis or pericarditis

• Renal Disorder
    Excessive protein in the urine (greater than 0.5 gm/day or 3+ on test sticks) and/or cellular casts (abnormal elements the urine, derived from red and/or white cells and/or kidney tubule cells)

• Neurologic

• Seizures
    (convulsions) and/or psychosis in the absence of drugs or metabolic disturbances which are known to cause such effects

• Hematologic
    Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia (white bloodcount below 4,000 cells per cubic millimeter) or lymphopenia (less than 1,500 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter) or thrombocytopenia (less than 100,000 platelets per cubic millimeter). The leukopenia and lymphopenia must be detected on two or more occasions. The thrombocytopenia must be detected in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

• Immunologic
    Positive LE prep test, positive anti-DNA test positive anti-Sm test or false positive syphilis test (VDRL).
    Positive test for antinuclear antibodies in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

Adapted from: Tan, E.M., et. al. The 1982 Revised Criteria for the Classification of SLE. Arth Rheum 25:

3. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

Although I am sure there maybe more to determine here I will say that I have lupus and what you show looks like what my lab work shows. Infact my ANA is always barely positive and determined to be borderline but with all the other symptoms was determined 21 years ago that I indeed have lupus. Of course going into renal failure pretty much was the real determinating symptom.
    Take care its not a death sentence its just a heads up on the need to watch your health more than ever.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have a positive ANA of 1:640, c-reactive protein 22.5 and other abnormal blood test. I have all your symptoms except the fever my temp runs below normal..Have had all the thyroid test including the thyroid antibodies . My PA thought lupus but the other doctors say no..cfs..that cfs is an unspecified autoimmune disease..I get so confussed..

Keep us posted I am anxious to see what your rheumy tells you..

greatgran

5. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

As said above, the labs tests aren't read straight up the way that, say, a check for high cholesterol would be. As one rheum explained it to me, diagnosing SLE, RA, and other rheumatoid diseases is an art form; it's the combination of tests and symptoms and observations that makes up teh diagnosis. (If you have a butterfly rash and half of the other symptoms, that makes it easier, but that's not everyone.) I have a couple of antibodies that are common to Lupus, and I was told that someday, it may be determined that i have it... but for right now, I don't... and anyway, the treatment for many of the symptoms is pretty much the same as what we do for FM anyway. (There's no magic drug for lupus...)

I'm babbling... sorry. Friday and I want to go home. Hope you don't have it and if you do, I hope that you find some good docs to care for you. Good luck!
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hi, I had posted earlier to this post about my positive ANA etc..I just returned from my doc and he wants me to see a rheumy..to have further testing to rule out or dig. lupus so I am waiting on an appt...

Have you seen the rheumy yet and if so what is the vertic...

greatgran