Do U ever go to ER for pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Jul 9, 2008.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I have been in such a terrible flare of fibro and myofascial pain that I'm thinking of going to the ER. I need to break this pain cycle!!!

Also, I am having a new and different pain. It started out on the upper left side under my rib cage last week. Now its happening on the right and going through to my back. It comes on sudden and sharp and last for about 1/2 hour. I can't move when it occurs.

What do you think I should do?
  2. yuckie

yuckie New Member

I'll take a shot at this based on my experience. In theory the ER must treat your pain. However, depending on where you live and the ER status in your area, going could be more pain than it's worth. Often times the wait is hours (about 4-6 in my area) and the docs are not usually sympathetic to our type of pain (my experience). Once you get to see a doc and if you are willing to accept whatever their particular bias is regarding our pain...they should (in theory)assist you in alleviating your pain. This is my short term the long run, you must find a good, knowledgeable doctor who will work with you to manage your pain better. You really don't want to be at the mercy of ER for the above reasons.

I have two thoughts on your current symptoms, 1) a myofascial trigger point (I have this problem as well) or 2) costochrondritis. Both could cause the pain you are describing.

Having said all of that the pain could be a related to your heart. If you have any concerns on that point call 911...immediately and forget everything I've just said.

My experience is that when the type of pain you describe hits, the first thing I do is tell my support system (family), increase my meds, stretch or bathe or have someone rub or lay down...whatever it is that has worked in the past on that particular problem. For me, with the pain you are having I would probably spray on some Spray and Stretch, do some gentle stretches, take extra meds and lay down.

So, two pronged approach: if you must, go to the ER, if you think you have a few tricks up your sleeve try them first...second, in the long run, embark on a pain management routine and support system that allows you to take control when this situation occurs. And, finally...

I hope you find relief and that this has helped in some small way. God Bless, Janice