DO VERY MANY OF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WALKING

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by southernrose, Oct 26, 2005.

1. southernrose

southernrose New Member

HI EVERYONE

ARE THERE MANY OF YOU HAVE TROUBLE STANDING ON YOUR LEGS AND ACTUALY WALKING, FOR SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE MY LEGS ARE CUT OFF AT THE KNEES. MY KNEES START POPING WHEN I TRY TO WALK AND THEN THE MUSCLE SPANS START IN THE HIPS AND BEHIND THE KNEES PUTTING ME ON THE FLOOR OR GROUND DEPENDING WHERE I AM AT. I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO FOR A WALK WITH MY G-GRANDDAUGHTERS AND BABY BOY WHEN HE GETS OLDER. I CRIED AT TIMES BECAUSE I CAN'T GO TO THE MALL OR SHOPPING FOR ANYTIME. IT IS HARD TO STAND UP AND COOK A MEAL FOR MY FAMILY, AND CLIMBING THE STAIRS AT CHRUCH IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE.. OH WELL, PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR COMPLAINING. I DO LOVE MY LORD AND SAVIOUR AND WOULD NEVER I HOPE TRY TO DO HIS WORK BY HELPING MYSELF ALONE TO HIS WORLD THANK YOU ALL FOR LETTING ME SOUND OFF. GOD BLESS YOU ALL. SOUTHERNROSE
  2. silky17

silky17 New Member

I have noticed that I am definantly getting weaker and more sharp pains in my legs.That is why I can't understand that this DD is not supposed to get worse. To me it does. I know what you are feeling like.

Also wanted to tell you that some people have a hard time reading all caps. When I am having a particulary bad day I can't read them. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Good luck with everything and prop your legs up a bit.

God bless you too,
    Debbie (silky17)

3. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

but mine is from my back, spinal stenosis, I can hardly make dinner or do dishes. I feel as if I died and this is a new person, just not better.

Granny
  4. ScooterD

ScooterD New Member

Yes, I have much the same problems as you do. I finally decided if I go to the mall, the ONLY way I can get around is by wheelchair. The malls will usually have wheelchairs for you to use at no charge or for a small fee. And because I fall down alot from the weakness/pain/whatever in my legs, many times I use a cane. That has given me security especially if I'm alone. When I have enough energy to cook/bake, I no longer stand at the counter but sit on a stool for all the prep work.
    I hope you feel better. Always here if you need anything...don't forget that!
    You'll be in my prayers tonight, take care.
  5. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I have pain in my knees and ankles, when I walk or stand for more than 10-15 minutes it gets worse. But I keep trying, I really stiffen up if I sit too long. No need to apologize for your post, we all understand your pain and feel free to sound off any time
  6. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

My legs have become painful and unreliable over the past year due to arthritis. Now I've been told I need to get both of my knees replaced since there is no cartilage left in either knee.

The fibro just makes everything worse. When my husband and I go out shopping, I either use a motorized shopping cart or bring along my rollator (rolling walker) since the pain is so bad.

Anyone with FMS ever had a total knee replacement?

J.M.
  7. buddylee

buddylee New Member

for 10+ year at frito lay, I rember walking on my knees from chip rack to rack doing the bottem shelfs,
    every nite at 4pm (if I had worked that day or not) my knees started to hurt.
    my knee caps are tilted at 22 degrees Normal ppl are at 11 degrees so my caps hit on each side .
    my SI nerve (I think) is knotted so some time 1 leg is 1/8 inch
    shorter. = Back pain
    the topper I broke my left leg and shatted my knee in Apirl.
    now I have 12+ inch pice of german steel in my leg.

Weekness is very hard to over come with FM. I hadnt walked for almost 4 months . Only now and I do little more than walk from 1 chair to another.

Magicly some how I did a complete brake job on my car (only with the help of my youngest son) We worked on fronts than I
    was wiped out for 2 dayz

now I dont walk with a cane , but I will need it somedays.
    I keep one in the car just in case.[This Message was Edited on 10/27/2005]
  8. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I was Blessed, to get an older Scooter, that my Brother, could no longer use.
    I can take the Bus, or go to the store with it, and when I do go shopping, and I don't have My Scooter, I use the Store's.
    They are slower, than mine, lol, but that's good, so I don't run over people. They seem to not notice thoes Noisy scooter's for some reason. ;o]

You can get them, used, and they are cheaper that way.
    If your Ins. will cover it, get your Dr. to write an RX for one.
    I still, walk, because I need to , keep the circulation in the legs flowing.
    But that's mostly around the house.

The DH is also, buying one for me, through the hsn, shopping network, on a flex-pay, and it's for in the house or when we go somewhere togeather.
    The other one, isn't made to break down for traveling in the trunk, like the new one is.

It's something that can help, with the life we want to live, well, lets say, it helps us to do, More things that we can't do now.
    I used to be housebound, till I got, "Old Blue" now I go, more than I want to.
    lol.

Hoping you are feeling better today, I know how Down we can get, that's what is so good about Message Boards, we can talk about these things, and maybe find some answer's that we really need.
    God Bless You,
    sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2005]
  9. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Yes southernrose I have had lots of trouble walking,I can not

walk very far and I can not sit for a long period of time nor can I stand very long. I have found out that I have spinal stenosis and herniated discs in my low back and neck though.

Have you ever considered seeing if it could be something like that that is bothering you along with FM pain?

Maybe you could ask the doctor

I hope you are feeling better
    kgangel
  10. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Oh yah, count me in...

I'm 35 and walk like an old lady- some days are better than others, thankfuly.

sharon
  11. abbylee

abbylee New Member

In fact, sometimes I look like a wooden puppet with my jerking around and staggering like a drunk. I also need to hold on to something most of the time, and find myself looking at canes.

abbylee
  12. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i too have a hard time walking, my legs feel like dead weight. starting at the hips then down the legs. just small jobs like vacuuming the living room kill me. i have to vacuum half first, then the rest later. doing dishes and cooking also. more weakness on the left side than right. bless you Becca
  13. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I found myself becomming a spectator instead of a participant in life just because I couldnt stand for long periods, walk for any distance without something to hold on to and was stumbling and or falling more and more often.

My husband was always trying to talk me into using the power carts in the stores. I considered it quite a blow to my pride...I told him somebody else might need it more...but silently I vowed to walk as long as I had a breath left. What a foolish trade off. I would end up sitting in the car instead of joining my husband or staying home instead of joining my daughters at the mall.

Abbylee: what a perfect description of my gait!

Meanwhile my husband went ahead and bought me a powerchair. I was bummed for awhile but gradually came around, it was such a joy to be out and about for things that were physically impossible. A lightbulb moment ! I guess I AM one of those people who need the scooter the stores and some malls provide. Very liberating.

Bruin63: check ebay for scooters or powerchairs. Mine is like new and a fraction of what they cost new.

Churchmom: I found some very pretty canes online. lots of choices, florals, plaids, metallic, etc. I think I just googled decorative walking canes.

JHMitch: I too need two knee replacements. I tend to take the same approach ( not until I cant move) Did I mention how stubborn I can be?

I find I can shop online for lots of things too. This not only saves my feet, ankles, and knees but my energy.
    I can shop with abandon when I swallow my pride and use the scooter. The fun of shopping is back and I dont have to 'pay' for days.

sorry about the length...color me gabby.
    I wish you all a painfree day, stephanie
  14. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Sometimes when I'm not jerking like a puppet, I get this weird bounce and I look like I'm bouncing up and down like a fool. It's hysterical to watch, so at that point I usually sit down as much as I can.

abbylee PS - Today I have the bounces. And like KIMKANE below, I've always had leg pain for as long as I can remember and just for the record on exercise - I used to teach dancing - tap, ballet, jazz, and acrobats - and it made no positive difference in my leg pain.
  15. kimkane

kimkane New Member

I have always had trouble with my legs, ever since I can remember. Even as a child I had times where I couldn't walk or had alot of pain walking etc.

I am not saying that this will help everyone but it helped me alot........................

I found a reflexologist. The 1st time I had to go to her place, up a flight of stairs. I almost backed out because of them, but I went. Boy am I glad I did.

The 1st session lasted over an hour. She only charged me $40. I had trouble going down the stairs, to go home. I was jerky,boucy, and shaky. I went home and took a nap. I got up and I couldn't belive the change. I actually could almost walk normal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 1st I would get the session everyother day, now I get it al least 2 times a month. I walk normal, only with morning stiffness. I walk 5 to 6 miles a day. I have good shoes also, New Blance is the maker.

If you can't find someone to do this, give a massage school a call. Theymight know of a student, they are cheaper.

Good luck to you. Kim
  16. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have been having trouble lately with my legs giving out. I haven't fell to the ground yet but almost,I have managed to grab hold of something. Thank God my arms are still strong and sturdy. And yes I said "THANK GOD" as I am thankful for the good parts left of my body. I don't understand this DD but I am trying to make the best of it. I too have considered the use of a cane but so far have put if off. Getting up from a chair is hard, standing washing dishes hurts terribly and housework is nearly impossible but life goes on. I pray everyone has a good day.
    Stinker56
  17. gnanny

gnanny New Member

lets not let this get out of hand. We've had enough moderator intervention and hurt feelings lately.
  18. sues1

sues1 New Member

On some of the postings I found where folks had disc problems and other problems.

But On many I see that a reason was not posted. My doctors can not find a reason and I am getting worse right now.

I am frustrated.........
  19. jake123

jake123 New Member

My right leg doesn't work right any more. It is sloppy, it toes out and the outside of my foot is painful, the inside and outside of my knee hurts and so does my right hip.
    I don't know why and I don't think any of my medical people really care enough to figure it out.
    It keeps me from walking and I'm sure it adds to my back pain which feels like a knife stabbing me and causes my right breast to burn as well as my ribs on the right side.
  20. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi there,

I had my left knee replaced last year when I was 39. I was young but I had tried everything else, braces, meds, synvisc injections and nothing worked.

I had alot of problems after and I wonder if it has something to do with fibromyalgia. I have been tentatively diagnosed with this until I get confirmation from the rheumy next month.

Anyhow, I had my knee replaced in April 2004. I went to rehab for a few days, had VNA come in for a couple of weeks for therapy and then I started out patient therapy. I could not get a good bend of my knee. In August, they put me back under and did a manual manipulation - that's a nice way of saying they bent my leg for me rather forcefully to break through scar tissue - that was pain!

Went back to therapy again - still not enough bend. So the day before Thanksgiving last year I went back under and had arthroscopy for them to scrape out the scar tissue. That finally helped!

Looking back now - I wonder if it was because of fibro that I had so many problems. My knee is much better now - not perfect, still get pain. I need the right one done but I said I'm waitng until I end up in a wheelchair for this one!

-Kathi