Do we have a higher chance of cancer?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellbear, Mar 21, 2003.

1. kellbear

kellbear New Member

With all this talk on immune system and research. Has it shown that we are more likely or equally as likely for cancer. This freaks me out cause my mom died of lung cancer a few years ago and I smoked for 7-8 years.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I called my doctor daughter and she said NO, fibro patients are NOT more likely or equally as likely for getting cancer.

I have always thought that your genetics play a big role as well as environmental factors; i.e., if your mother had breast cancer, your chances are greater; if you smoke, your chances of lung cancer are greater; if you work around asbestos or in a coal mine, those factors may increase your risk of cancer. I worked at an uranium enrichment facility where there was tons of radioactive materials on the site--which is not the greatest stuff to be exposed to. But as far as being a fibro patient with no family history of cancer, the answer would probably be NO.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2003]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That many people who think they have CFIDS also have FMS as well. It took years for my FMS symptoms to show up. I would be willing to bet that people with FMS are at higher risk as well.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]