Do we lack protein?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by peachrie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. peachrie

peachrie New Member

Hello,

I was hoping to ask you a question about an FM cause?

I recently read an article that said that FM is caused by protein deficiency. I was surprised to find out that we need 60 g of protein a day. I've been a vegetarian and I thought I got enough proteins through tofu and soy but I guess not. Since last week I made my diet majorly protein, with egg whites, chicken, and whey proteins shakes. I'm also taking betaine-hcl enzyme supplements that are supposed to help break down the protein.

I'm really hoping that this will help because I've tried so many things with no avail. Has anyone found improvement in such a diet? The theory is that the protein will help rebuild damaged muscle, ligament etc.

Thanks!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In our bodies depends on the ability to utilize protein. Of course, we use fats and carbs too but if we don't get enough protein, or our bodies cannot utilize it efficiently, we will get sick.

Strange you should mention this. When I was getting really sick, I would crave red meat. I would make a stop and get a hamburger. I sometimes have to fix a steak for myself now if I feel the craving coming on.

Most of us seem to do better on a high protein/low carb diet.

Love, Mikie
  3. AcappellaMusic

AcappellaMusic New Member

I wander did you see the same write up that I did from a chiropractor online discussing amino acids and fibromyalgia? What he said makes a lot of sense to me,I just would like to make sure that it works, but I wouldn't know until I try it.
  4. peachrie

peachrie New Member

i saw the same article, i think- i think he was a massage therapist?

i figure it's worth a try. i'm willing to try anything...so much pain..i'm so desperate.

i've gained a few pounds since this high protein diet which i thought was a bit strange...but i dont mind as long as it helps! *fingers crossed*

i'm such a carb monster at heart so i guess this is good for me :p
  5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have been a vegetarian for 4 years now, and a diabetic for 33 years. My blood sugars are much better on the vege diet, and I know I get enough protein on vege foods. When I gave up meats, I did it for the love of animals. I have seen the undercover video of the cruel way they kill animals, and I wont be a part of that.

Back to the problem at hand. When I gave up meat alone, first off I lost over 20lbs, and my blood sugars were easier to manage, much easier. I never noticed any difference in the fibro as far as making it better or worse. There are so many ways to get protein besides meats. I am sure there are others that will dissagree with me, but I dont think that meat alone will make that much difference as far as the fibro.
    One other plus is in the last 4 years of being a vegetarian, I no longer have stomach achs, I was truly amazed at that, it was not expected.

Please dont anyone take it wrong what I have said about animals, and their meat. It's just for me, I cant live with myself knowing what that creature went through so I could have food. I have to cook meat all the time for my husband, and he eats it in front of me, I just cant eat it. OK I have a big heart for animals, but seriously, giving the meat up made a big difference in bettering my diabetes, and my stomach. Knock on wood I have not had any stomach achs in over 4 years.
    God bless, Julie
  6. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Dr. Cheney has repeatedly said that PWCFS need to get plenty of protein in their diets. I believe that he's right, since I follow a high protein/low carb style of eating and always feel better when I have enough protein in my diet.

- julie (is free!)

Life ain't always beautiful
    but it's a beautiful ride.. - Gary Allen
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Peachrie,

I don't think that the cause of FMS has been established. There are a lot of theories, nothing positive. That said, I always feel better when I eat more protein.

Lolalee
  8. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i was told to eat more proteins and less carbs.
    buuuuuuut i have to say...i can feel like royal caca even after getting up and having a couple scrambled eggs with cheese and a small glass of milk. My symptoms still hit me hard.
    However, i have read that people with Candida (which is sometimes linked to cfs/fib) have a poor ability to process proteins.