Do ya think we lose our reflex abilities and judgements?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Mar 8, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I think I've lost mine or I'm not as quick as I used to be. Once again I hit something on the way to work. There was a large blue plastic bucket(looked like it fell off a truck) in the middle of the road and I swerved to miss it but of course I didn't and it hit under my left bumper. I was able to kick it off but with my luck by the time I got to work the car was hot and leaking. So once again I've missed work because I don't have any other way to get there. Don't know what it is yet.

I feel like I'm not as quick thinking as before and when something like this happens I don't react fast enough and of course I end up hitting it. But it happens in other ways also. I can tell at home and at work. Oh how I hope I don't have to quit driving in the near future.

Guess it's all part of this DD. Take care,Keke
  2. katsarecool

katsarecool New Member

Though I know my mind has slowed down some since I got hurt in the car accident. I am post-menopausal. I take strong pain medications. I hurt 24/7/365. Not getting enough restorative sleep. So there are probably many reasons for feeling like we are not at top form mentally.

I hope you can continue to drive too.

Take care,

Kats
  3. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi Keke,

Yes it has affected my thinking abilities and judgements. It is one of the first things I noticed when I went to my doctor with my first list of complaints last March. I was a pre-school teacher and couldn't seem to learn a new song the director wanted us to use in the classroom without looking at the words. This was after a month and the kids had already learned it. I had also lost my ability, that sixth sense to always know what was going on all around me in the classroom which is crucial when supervising groups of young children. My multitasking ability has been greatly affected as well. To me this has been devasting because I was a former director and chose to be a teacher again because I loved working with the children. I have been in the early childhood field for twenty years and to have this important skills decline to the level of a novice teacher is really frustrating to me. It's one of the reasons I'm not working along with the other physical aspects of the job that injuries and FMS make it very difficult right now to work.

It has also slowed my thinking when driving. No offense to the senior population, but I feel like a senior when I'm driving because my thinking and jusgement is so slow. I have difficulty making right turns at fast busy intersections because of the slow thinking and judgement. I've frustrated many impatient drivers behind me because I didn't go when it was obvious to them I should have turned.

Last night I made a short shopping trip to Costco. After I took the few things out of the shopping cart and put them in the back seat of my truck, I got in my truck and backed out hitting the shopping cart. Oops!! I forgot to move the shopping cart away from the back end of the truck. LOL That was a first.

Thinking in general just to write a check for the doctors appt co-pay is a slower process too. There are so many other thinking things involved I could go on and on, but I won't.

My 21 yr old daughter who is away at college still tries to tell me it's all in my head, that I don't have any cognitive problems and doesn't believe me when I try to have any kind of discussion with her about how it affects me. My 17 yr old son sees it occuring every day and knows it is happening. I just wish I could get my daughter to understand and not treat me like this isn't real.

Take care and have a nice day.

Jeanette