Do you agree or is this an over-simplification?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, May 25, 2009.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I was reading a question and answer session with this nutritionist on the net. He's called Patrick Holford. I'm not sure that he is a qualified MD. He said in this session of ME:

'ME is almost invariably caused by digestive problems leading to allergies, leading to an overloading of the liver's ability to detoxify. But you have to start by getting digestion right and eliminating allergies.'

I'm wondering what you make of this? I know we're all different but I seem so allergic that I wonder if it's true...maybe not for everyone but for many of us?

Thanks! :) Shelbo

BTW, he doesn't say how to eliminate allergies and get the digestion right apart from recommending a book he wrote himself... I never know whether to be suspicious when they rec their own books or not...
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2009]
  2. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I don't know if I would say I necessarily agree with this Patrick Holford, but I do feel that people are greatly under estimating what digestive imbalances and food allergies can do to a person's body.

I know all of my pain and suffering was caused by gluten and other allergies I didn't know about or know to pay attention to until now and who's to say that a good amount of people suffering with chronic pain couldn't get the same relief if they would just give the idea a chance.

Think about what food truly does for a body, think about how massive the digestive systems impact is on a body, I mean really think about it. It shouldn't surprise anyone that food could really harm you if you weren't aware of it's affects on you personally, even in the form of pain and muscle spasms, exhaustion and a long list of other things food allergies can cause if unknown or ignored.

I'm grateful now that I know the effects and wish more people would consider it as an avenue to their well being. I'm not saying food is a cure-all but it is a bigger issue than most want to admit to.

I wanted to correct: I personally was diagnosed with FMS, not CFS/ME.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2009]
  3. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

......... with no digestive problems and no allergies.
  4. spacee

spacee Member

I could eat nothing but baked fish and baked potato for 6 months...lying down. And, maybe I was allergic to the fish or potato. (That is sarcasm.).

However, I do read Dr. Cheney and in his CFS practice, he has seem some patients have remarkable improvement dealing with their food allergies. He recommends a rotation diet. You will have to google it cause I can't remember exactly how it goes.

Some people just like to write books, is my personal opinion. I don't think this guy knows that much about CFS.

Just my 2 cents.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

the chicken or the egg? Maybe neither.

While a good diet may help the symptoms of FM/CFS, I doubt if it is a cure or cause.

It may be that some people are predisposed to digestive problems and feel better when addressing them. Another possibility is that if you feel you are cured by this, you never had CFS/FM and just digestive problems.

If someone believes that there is only one cause and one cure for our DD, that is where the simplification comes in.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. He sounds somewhat "quacky", to me.

Food for thought :) !!!

6. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

What you say makes alot of sense to me. I see the causes as being multiple much like the different causes for cancer. However, i believe that there is one common pathophysiology(disease process) as with all diseases which can be cured with one main therapy along with supplemental therapies. I see the "cure" to this disease much like those that cure or effectively treat diabetes, AIDs, or cancer. In the latter diseases, you must add supplemental nutritional, vitamin, mind-body, and other secondary therapies to the MAIN therapy that being insulin, hiv meds, and chemotherapy. Does that make sense?

We need to know the causes for prevention purposes and we need to know the pathophysiology so we can "cure" and effectively treat the disease. Unfortunately, modern medicine cannot treat a disease where both the cause(s) and pathophysiology are unknown. There is no other disease in this world where both are unknown.
  7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I have to agree with him but I'd add the inability of the kidneys to detox our bodies in this DD too. Notice that he doesn't specify what he means by digestive problems. Which means you may or may NOT have any digestive symptoms but WILL have problems with certain foods.

Dr. Hadjivassilou proved back in 2002 that gluten antibodies can be present in the brain without the person having celiac disease or any digestive symptoms. And in order to have antibodies present, one's immune system, located in the digestive tract, had to create them. If you google Pubmed and gluten you'll see an enormous amount of research on how gluten can affect our bodies. FYI. you don't have to be a celiac to have problems with gluten ...

I had ataxia (probably from gluten) from 1990 till 2006 but just had intermittent digestive issues until 2005 when it appears that I finally got celiac disease. I've been on total disability and mostly housebound with this DD since 1990 ...

He's right about how to fix the digestive tract too ... The only way to fix our digestive problems (leaky gut) is to eliminate those foods we are intolerant to, eat a healthy diet, treat for parasites and candida, and allow our bodies to heal. And for some, me included, this can take a few years. Supplements may help this but I'm not familiar enough with them to know which ones. Probiotics, of course ...

On a personal note, I started trying to heal myself in July 2005 and while diet alone fixed most of my nuero symptoms, I wasn't able to digest most supplements without feeling toxic until Jan 09. I couldn't drink lemon water in the am without getting GERD until March 09. And as of April 09, I can finally eat a low carb diet and be in ketosis without my blood glucose levels staying too low. All liver functions .... so this appears to be exactly what he's saying.

I'm still struggling with my kidney functions though. I'm dehyrdated most of the time. I get UTIs from all B complexes. And I have a history of kidney stones now.

Just my 2 cents ... Marcia
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

When I became ill with CFS/FM it started out suddenly as a flu type illness. Fever, aches and pains, bowel problems, etc. I never completely recovered from it. I later developed some digestive problems and food allergies but that wasn't the cause of this illness for me, it's probably a result of being so ill for so many years.

I felt like I had mono again and still get those feelings. I don't have high EBV titers however so I know it's some other kind of infection, no one seems to be able to diagnose it though. I'm supposed to have a lyme test soon but I guess it's too late to be treated for that if it should be positive. It's been 31 years! GB66
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I checked out the Wikipedia page and other sites about this idiot.

He believes HIV can be better treated with Vitamin C as well as the swine flu.

He has had to change his website as he was making unfounded claims.

He sells a "charm" to ward off negative energies.

He is only a nutrtionist in the sense that he gave himself a degree from the program he developed.

You can find lots of sites that debunk his theories.

This guy is putting people in harms way.

I could go on and on.

Dolt is only a start. How about "Quack".

10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

for me, the ME came first, then lots of new allergies, and then the digestive problems....exactly the opposite of what he says