Do you AND your child have FM/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Aug 25, 2008.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi Friends-

Just wondering how many of you (with FM/CFS) have a teenager or adult child with FM/CFS?

I have a teenage daughter who is showing some symptoms of FM. She has chronic migraines like I have and she has seen a neurologist, has had an MRI, has tried several abortive and profalactic meds. At times, she has no energy and sleeps alot. It doesn't appear to be restful sleep. She has symptoms of digestive issues, especially belching all the time. A few years back, we saw a pediatric urologist for painful urination- she had a "scope" procedure which was normal; we thought it was IC. At times, she gets weak and shaky- I took her to the ER thinking it was blood-sugar related but the tests were normal.

Things are starting to "add-up" which seem strange. Just wondering if any of you have children with FM/CFS. Or, are you a child of a parent with FM/CFS?

I'm beginning to think I should schedule an apt. with a rheumy for her.

Any suggestions/information?

2. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

There are a lot of us here, who are ill with ME/CFS kids. I am one of them.
    I dont know about FM.

Stomach problems could be due to fructose malabsorbtion, which is connected to ME/CFS or lactose malarbsorbtion.
    Can be tested with a simple breath test.

My sons life long "IBS" cleared after we cut out fruit sugar after a pos. test for fructose malarbsorbtion. (s. Dr.Meirleir testing for that)

Hope that helps

headaches can be also connected to stomach problems

3. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

my daughter is only 10, but has been complaining of her shoulder hurting.

i was close to her age when i sarted getting pain in my joints, no explantion was ever given.

i pray she dosn't get this.
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

She is now 22 and doing pretty good. Very little pain anymore. I have had fm for so long it seems and it just keeps getting worse.
  5. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I've been sick with FM and CFS for almost three years now (I'm 18, 15 when I got sick). My mom's had FM for...about five? She developed it after being on tamoxifen.

Maybe you should look into rheumatologists, but since most rheumatologists take a while to get into, I'd suggest getting some tests done before then.

When I first got sick, every doctor I saw was convinced it could be Lyme's, so by the time I got the diagnosis, I'd had three or four different Lyme's tests done. I also had a full blood workup done several times. Any good rheumatologist will look into these sorts of things anyway, to eliminate any other possibilities.
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

an she too complains about aches and pains i see thing but i wish i didnt my mom also has fms it makes me feel bad
  7. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I have FM and my son and daughter both have it. My mother had it and her father had it.

I wonder what the doctor's would say about that.

8. steach

steach Member

I'm kinda wondering if she's observed my behavior since I've been sick and has learned to "mimic" it -or- is she truly starting to develop symptoms?

My mother was in the process of many tests before she died and my sister has FM/CFS and Lupus. My great-grandmother had RA, my grandmother has hypothyroidism, diabetes and has had cancer. I guess family history could be a curse for my daughter.

I'd just like to find out if she could really be developing FM/CFS symptoms at age 17. I'm confused; maybe in denial.

Thanks friends,
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

that helped me chose what direction I wanted my Tx to take. Not everyone affected had ME/CFS but they had overlapping health problems.

My son became ill at the age of 14 as a result of acute EBV and another nasty virus; the immunologist told him what this second virus was but he could not remember the name - he was still very poorly at the time.

His father, and a few others, thought he was copycatting my Sx for secondary gain despite the fact he looked very ill and this caused him considerable additional distress. However, his tests showed otherwise and over the years residual health issues indicate he continues to have a physiological aftermath.

tc, Tansy
  10. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

My 16 yr old has had headaches and stomache aches for yrs. Is also dx with ADD, depression, anxiety and mood disorder.
    My 9 yr old son has extremely sensitive skin, back pain and spasms, ADHD and complains of pains in his legs and shoulder areas.
    I have no idea what to do because they are so young.

11. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My mother and I both have FM and CFS. However, I am adopted so it probably means nothing other than it is a weird coincidence.
  12. glenpr

glenpr New Member

my mother is no longer living, in those days they didnt have the name, but she suffered with it.
  13. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

spent half of her adult life in bed suffering from migraines, sleep-deprivation, and chronic PAIN. We were far from poor but she managed to be seen at many well-known clinics including the Mayo (which was FAR from us). Our house was full of gadgets and weird foods/supplements which were promised to help with her various ailments. Of course no definite diagnosis was ever given and she eventually became a source of jest among friends and neighbors...yes, even from her family which included ME.

This was inspite of my own childhood of severe migraines, chest pain (costo), back pain, TMJ, sleep-fatigue-fog issues. By my teen years I began to read some of the positive-thinking books that my mother ALSO collected. I suspected I was setting myself up to somehow take on my mother's "issues", and I tried hard for many years to disasocciate.

This possibility is why I NEVER NEVER hinted to my daughters that I was less than fine. So, when they both began experiencing pain/anxiety/sleep and fatigue issues in high school, I was filled with silent horror. Neither of them was able to finish high school due to falling behind from so many illnesses. Fortunately they both got GED's and one has just graduated college. She did that in SIX years and by the bloody skin of her teeth!...I'm only praying she can now function in a REAL job!

So, yes...whatever this condition is, it has been a gift (not) that just keeps on giving. I would honestly caution my daughters against reproducing but for one it's too late! I will continue to hope and pray that there is an answer to this lesser-life condition by the time that grandchild matures.