Do you believe stretching helps at all?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beckula, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Beckula

Beckula New Member

Whenever I am in pain, my husband and/or doctor always tell me, I'm just stiff and need to stretch. I never find the motivation and when I do, it seems to not do much good.

Has stretching helped any of you?
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

In fact, when I'm hurting and all tensed up it is too painful to try to stretch. At those times I do better with a muscle relaxant and some warm heat!

Maybe someone else has had better results?

Best wishes,
    Janelle

3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

If I don't stretch my leg muscles they shake really bad in the mornings. I force myself to walk almost daily, and I do mean force, but I feel better when I come home. When I walk I make sure I also swing my arms and move those shoulders to get things loosened up. I don't like it very much but this is something I have to do.

This is a disease that affects the muscles and they have to be kept loose. I was told by my chiro that tight muscles lay taut across the nerve endings that come out of our spine and go to the arms and legs. This is why at times we have tinglings, numbness, etc.
  4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I have to stretch when my body hurts it does not take away all of the pain but it certainly does help. I can tell in the morning if I have stretched or not the previous evening. I do a lot with my lower back & shoulders. It may hurt but it will help. Not everything good for you is pain-free!

Kelly
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I get in more pain from stretching than I do if I just leave it alone. I don't wake up stiff and I don't get stiff. I just ache and hurt.

I have heard a lot of people say that yoga and stretching helps them, being in a pool helps them.

Actually for me, the less I do that is strenuous, the better I feel. Well the less pain I feel.

Also can tell a real difference the next day when I get 14 hours of sleep at night than if I get less than 12. I end up having to catch up on my sleep eventually if I stay up late several nights in a row.

Hugs to you, Beckula!
    Faye

6. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

For me, the secret to stretching when I am in pain and have a lot of stiffness (which is all the time) is to do it very slowly. I stretch because I take a karate class (no contact, just forms). I get there 30 mins. early and stretch, then we do more the first 10 minutes in class.

I would never do that at home. It helps me tremendously but I have to go slow or I'll pull a hamstring or some other muscle.

Also, hot bathes really feel good for stiffness and soreness.

Sandy
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

But many of those prescribed by PTs over the years caused more pain and more muscle problems since mine injure easily and take a very long time to heal. Just recently I have been seeing a different PT who is experienced enough to understand there are no set rules, he goes by what works and what doesn’t.

Jeanne-in-Canada posted a topic on y-dan, a gentle form of Tai chi. There are y-dan movements that are still beyond what I can achieve atm, but the few I am currently practicing are helping due to the nature of the stretches involved. My PT approves and reckons it has contributed to me making more progress than he expected in my neck, arms, and shoulders.

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 09/19/2005]
  8. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

it helps me. If I didn't stretch, I don't think I would be able to move some days. Mostly I do neck stretches and such, but I also make sure and walk every day to stretch the leg muscles.

Since I started stretching on the advice of my chiro, my range of motion in my neck and shoulders have improved significantly. I also do Ai Chi (T'ai chi in a salt-water pool) which is a series of gentle excercises - mostly upper body.