Do you bruise easily ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatPalmer, May 22, 2003.

1. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Always wondered why I bruise easily, - seems a Vitamin C deficiency is highest on the list of several Vits, K is another.

I have also noticed that Vit C deficiency has been mentioned in a number of articles associated with CFS/FM, and some related disorders.

Pat.

Here`s a short (makes a change) article to read:-

Bruises are caused by the breakage of blood vessels under the skin. When a blow to the area causes these vessels to break, blood leaks out and causes the "black and blue" appearance we call a bruise. The harder you're hit, the darker and larger the bruise will be, but sometimes even little bumps can cause significant bruises.

Sometimes bruising easily is a symptom of a lack of vitamins or problems with clotting. If you have never bruised easily before but suddenly find yourself dealing with a myriad of bruises, you may want to seek professional attention. The same is true if your bruises are especially painful or tend to be large and you can't remember bumping yourself. Bleeding elsewhere (nose or gums) in addition to bruising also points to the need for medical attention.

Bruising easily: Cause for concern?

Easy bruising isn't limited to older people, but as you age you may notice an increased tendency to bruise. Despite appearances, it's generally nothing to worry about. However, occasionally it may be a sign of an underlying health problem that warrants medical care.

How a bruise forms

A bruise forms when a blow breaks small blood vessels near the skin's surface, allowing a small amount of blood to leak out under the skin. The trapped blood appears as a black-and-blue mark - a bruise. Sometimes, there are also tiny red dots or red splotches. The body reabsorbs the blood, which causes the bruise to change color with time.

Usually the harder the blow, the larger the bruise. However, if you bruise easily, a minor bump - one you may not even notice - can result in a substantial bruise.

As you age, it's not uncommon for bruises to appear for no apparent reason. The arms are a typical location.

Why older people bruise easily

Skin tends to thin with age, in part because the layer of fat under your skin thins as you get older. This layer is what protects blood vessels in your skin from injury.

Another reason for easy bruising as you get older is that blood vessels generally become more fragile with age because the tissue that helps support the vessels weakens. Long-term exposure to the sun can damage your skin in a way similar to aging, also leaving you more susceptible to bruising.

The tendency for easy bruising can run in families. And sometimes, easy bruising is a side effect of a medication. In rare circumstances it can signal a vitamin deficiency or blood-clotting defect.

Although easy bruising is more common in older people, some people, particularly women, are lifelong easy bruisers. For no apparent reason, these otherwise healthy people spontaneously develop harmless bruises - sometimes called devil's pinches - on their upper arms, thighs and buttocks.

When to be concerned

If you have unusually large or painful bruises - particularly if your bruises seem to develop for no known reason - see your doctor.

In addition, seek medical care if you're bruising easily and you're experiencing abnormal bleeding elsewhere, such as from your nose or gums. Also, see your doctor if you have no history of bruising but suddenly experience bruises. This is particularly true if you recently started a new medication. These signs and symptoms may indicate something more serious, such as a blood-clotting problem or blood-related disease.

Preventing and treating bruises

Wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants may offer a layer of protection for your skin and help minimize your risk of easy bruising. Protecting your skin from sun damage is helpful, as is preventing injuries and minor trauma. Good lighting within your home and at work can prevent minor bumps, which lead to bruising.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to treat minor bruises. There's no drug you can take. A cold compress may help reduce any swelling that may be present. Once the swelling has gone down, applying a warm compress may help the bruise disappear faster. In addition, you may be able to cover up your bruises with makeup. Try foundation or a coverup stick.

2. 2girls

2girls New Member

I used to be a bruiser. Never recalled injuring myself but bruises appeared all over my legs. I hav'nt had a bruise for at least the last 6 months. I attribute it to higher doses of vitamin C.

2girls
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

When I get the ones from a fall, I have the huge Bruise's, the Doctor call's them Hemotoma's.
    On the first day, you should first use "Ice" on the wound for 20 mins, then use the Warm Moist Heat for 20 mins, wait half an hour and do again.

The next day, use just the Warm Mosit Heat. I usually take a dishtowel, get it soaked in Hot water, ring most of water out, Nuke in Micro for 1 and a 1/2 mins, wrap in another Towel, becareful not to burn yourself.
    I use kitchen mit's, then I roll the Hot towel inside the dry one till it just feels nice and warm, as the towel cools you can unwrap the towel to adjust to the heat still inside.

I sometimes takes me 3 months to lose a Bruis.
    I still have the shadow of one that I did a few months ago when I slipped in the Tub. I now have handles mounted for me to get and out without killing myself or my body. Helps with Showering and washing my hair, cause when I close my eye's, my balance get's wacky, so the handless are a bonus.

I get small brusie's everyday it seems, and I never feel thoes, I usually see them and wonder f"Now How did That Happen?"

We are so Sensitive,

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

LadyMT, I posted this a while back, it may answer some questions, thank goodness it`s not a sign of anything serious too.

Love Pat.
  5. AC77

AC77 New Member

I do but my PTT/PT and INR is off so this is expected, I guess. My mother bruises easy too. She SWEARS by vitamin C with bioflavonids only, and Vitamin K....which we can get by eating lots and lots of dark green leafy veggies. And also, it comes as supplement....not to be taken by people with hypercoagulation, so i hear.

I have woken up with 'mysterious' bruises and I dont have leukemia btw. I mean I am baffled at how bad they were and not remembering any trauma to get them in the first place!
    I pray I dont get hit in the chest or abs and get REAL internal bleeding. UG! But I think my mom's advice is tried and true for her and might be helpful for you to. Mom knows best :)
  6. Allerian

Allerian New Member

I Bruises easily as well but that is mostly due to the fact that I have thrombocytopenia (low Platelets). My counts normally range from 100,000-140,000 unless I'm sick or taking medication. So if you are bruising very easily that could be something to consider.
  7. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I suspect that a lot of us have thrombocytopenia to some degree and many/most don't know it. As you know, it is an immune system involvement and we have immune system problems. It makes sense that it might be happening in many(i.e. the bruising) but not to the extent that the platelets drop dangerously low.

I definitely think it is a symptom that is not looked at enough as even normal people get bruises, but I think it's obvious that we get more than normal people. I also think it's less likely to be a vitamin deficiency than an immune response ... unless they are actually tied together in some weird loop. I also wonder if there is not some sort of swinging back and forth between hypercoagulation and then low platelets as our immune system responds ... if there might be some connection to the two. Obviously I don't have any answers ... as usual ... just questions. LOL

Hugs,
    Hayley