Do you crave silence?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hinemoa, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I used to love background music and busy-ness and people around me. Now I crave quiet as a drowning man craves air.

Distant noises like birdsong are comforting but they must be barely 'felt'. And if I have music on I must sit down and really listen, doing nothing else.

I avoid noisy TV or dramatic TV shows and I never go to movies anymore.

My home is now welcoming and peaceful; I let the silence sing around me.

My children come to visit from their busy lives and as they step in the door they sigh and say, "This place is sanctuary." I sit and let them swirl around me. Perhaps everyone, sick or no, needs more quiet in their lives.

I remember the quotation from Walter de la Mare,
    "The silence surged softly backwards,
    When the plunging hoofs were gone."
    and I feel like the Listener.

Peace

S.
  2. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

The noise factor is REAL big for me.1 sound at a time,thank-you. it makes no sense to me,as there are certain *sounds* I *crave*/otherwise no noise thanx. It is difficult to explain to others for me.If I must concentrate on a conversation,I may ask to turn off fan or other sound source.It is a difficult adjustment as I enjoy the field of communications.Great observation! Peace,lisa
  3. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Every little noise bothers me, not to mention the big ones. I'm always asking my husband to turn down the TV. I quit going to movies, now rent videos so I can control the sound. Even kids talking more than one at a time can drive me bonkers. Glad to know it's not just me. Take care -
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

since I can't have the TV or stereo on even as background noise and participate in a conversation at the same time.

And I have a cat who always has to participate whenever there's a conversation.... My mom gets really annoyed when I yell at it but when she meows (the cat) I can't concentrate! I often have to turn the radio off when I'm driving and forget listening to the radio and reading at the same time.
  5. mrcpvls

mrcpvls New Member

I'm so glad I found this site as I can hear about others going through the same things. I cannot hear anything if more than one noise is going at a time. For example, if the television is on and my husband talks to me, I have to turn off the tv to understand him.Also, I was in the city a couple of weeks ago and could not sleep at all because of traffic noise. I found the whole city very noisy.
  6. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

A "resounding" yes. Right now the ceiling fan is driving me bonkers. I suspect I have Meneire's as the vertigo is awesome. Right now I'm fighting what feels like an infection in both ears from having to be on the phone so much! I sometimes have to just tell callers my ears are having fits but they are welcome to come visit; that telephone in the ear soon becomes noise. CactusLil'
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I like my peace and quiet too. As for the tv, we have two remotes, when my husband is home it is necessary! He loves those old comedies, but will look at them at work or in the upstairs rooms. They aggravate me so bad, that I can actually feel pain in my back and shoulders, and my head with start to pound. I have never liked much comedy anyway, but its worst now.

Its not the birds singing that is a bother, that is soothing (I feed the wildbirds to keep them near the house), even the howl of the coyotes, and the cry of the hawks are just fine with me.

Its traffic, too many loud people,undisiplined,yelling children, the wrong music, stupid loud movies that are not to my liking, and I do not have to be tormented with any of that anymore.

I like certain tv shows, CSI, Law & Order, Without a Trace, and some of the old reruns of crime drama. I am not big on comedy, unless its really good.
    Talk shows, O'Reilly and Larry King (depending on who the guest are), Millionaire, and Jeopardy, lots of HIstory and Discovery channel. The crime type of shows/movies keep my mind active, I am forever trying to figure out the criminal! I also like true crime books, and lots of history books along with the FM/CFS stuff.

I moved to the country to get away from the hectic life in the city. No regrets.

I love my children also, I love when they visit, and when I visit them but am also equally glad when they go home. Too much company is tiring.

My hearing is very acute, I think most of us with FM have this problem I hear things before my dogs do. Its strange sometimes, my husband does not hear half of what I hear! Mostly I get those 'looks' from him when I say I hear something that he misses.

I have people tell me they could not live in this much quiet, I always tell them not to knock it untill they try it first.

Yes, silence is golden.

Shalom, Shirl

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The constant slight state of seizure in our brains can make us sensitive to noise, light, movement, and touch. You can read more about it by going to our library and doing a search on Klonopin. Read Dr. Cheney's article. It does an excellent job of explaining this.

Love, Mikie
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I can rarely listen to the radio when I drive now...and forget having the tv on and typing at the same time! I can watch tv, but if someone wants to speak to me I need to turn the tv volume way down! Noisy crowds of people are very difficult as well ( like at a concert or a fair). I guess it is just one more of the "FUN" things that FMS brings!
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

I have noticed lately that I am far more aware of my environment than most people around me. If something is out of place, I notice it and want it where it belongs. Not that my house is neat and tidy, but I can hope and wish... I think maybe that we FM'ers are just hypersensitive to input. We were in Los Angeles on Friday, and there was just too much input, too much noise and too much visual input too. I was exhausted by the time we got home, and I didn't even drive. There are times when I want to plug my ears and close my eyes, to shut it all out, because it translates as pain after awhile. Too much substance P? Not enough filters in our brains? I don't know.

Anyway, my two cents!

Beth.
  11. shoshi68

shoshi68 New Member

I sit without radio or tv or anything. this is very new to me. my kids are home for the summer- camp mom. and i send them out to play so I can have my cherished silence.
    can't wait for them to be back in school, and the truth is i'll miss them terribly.

shoshi
  12. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Yes...I love my son and hubby dearly! But when it finally gets quiet at night...whew! One sound that does relax me still is the sound of the rain...althought I feel like crap otherwise when it's raining...guess there's always a trade-off somewhere.

Danny

13. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

I am a librarian. I chose to work at a library during a time when my CIFDS was just kicking into high gear. I chose it precisely because it is supposed to be quiet. Alas, it is not.

Co-workers use speaker phone (in the main lobby), patrons yell across the library to each other, one guy was just whistling. What kind of person, pray tell, whistles in a library?!

One co-worker will yell out the other's name-- or even worse, my name.

In short, I am amazed at how not quiet the library is.

The noise is like a forest fire which constantly has to put out only to be started up once more.

It's easy to get lost in feelings of anger for these people for whom any notion of respect seems to be foreign. Sometimes I get back at them by giving them sub-standard service. Ha ha!

Paul
  14. ckball

ckball New Member

I have the same problem myself, I use to love listening to my favorite Alan Parson's music, i can't stand to have the radio on. I hate Walmart, I can never think about what I am there for. They are constantly talking over the pa system. This morning they were testing the alarm system. I understand the idea but why at 11 am and not 3 am. I can't watch tv and do this at the same time. I have been trying to watch Monster House and read the posts but i missed the end of the show. Oh well we all have our limits and we do the best we can with what we got, then we will be ok.
  15. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I have always been around lots of noise, younger sisters, lots of dogs, father and ex-boyfriend were rock musicians, etc etc etc. It never really bothered me unless it was under certain circumstances (sleeping, on the phone, etc.) Now I live with my mother, my sister (who's a novice musician), our two big Standard Poodles, and a 1 year old baby boy! So every once in a blue moon, it is quiet. It is GREAT!!!!!!! Whenever I am trying to read or am on the computer, I need silence!!! But once someone starts up, my stress level immediatly goes through the roof. Then I have to try to calm myself down, because I am overreacting. I can't help it!! I wish I could work, so I had my own money, so I could have my own place again!!!!!! WWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

LOL,
    Kathryn
  16. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

especially if I'm feeling bad. dolsgirl
  17. little

little Member

I am always telling the grandkids to lower their voices or turn the sound down on the tv or the music down. I just can't stand all the noise. I never heard about sensory overload until I came here. I have learned so much here. Have a great day. GAIL
  18. hazygal

hazygal New Member

My bedroom is next to the living room and I've got to have complete silence when I sleep. The background noise of T.V. is clearly heard even if it is at it's lowest... Poor family... The kitchen is part of the living room and there is no carpeting, so it's a country kitchen/livingroom.... Anyway, what i'm trying to say is when my husband talks like on the phone, his voice booms and that too drives me up the wall! It seems like he is yelling... I've even got ear plugs the good ones and still i can hear... I feel like i'm going crazy because I can hear a pin drop and craze silence.... hazygal
  19. hazygal

hazygal New Member

I'm totally for you, and here for you as a friend... I agree with you about those step grand brats! It's not their fault, just that terrible mother of theirs.... I so agree with you and would be just as mad as you are... We are so alike, I am not into people either. They do lie and talk behind your back and are a pain... Especially what we've got to go through w/this DD! I've got three cats: Mazi, Patrick and Noah and I'd rather be with them then w/people... Since i've had this DD people have been so unloving and unkind to me. Except for my kids and my wonderful husband. I've got more friends on this board and would rather keep it that way too! So we are alot alike!!! Don't worry about those g/kids and step daughter your healthier without them... Don't, as my advice, have them over anymore even if things get cleared up... Why should you have to bother with people like that? If your husband wants to see them, let him go over to their home or meet them somewhere... What do you think of that? Anyway let me know or us know how your doing in a few days.... I don't like the stress and the effort it takes to make people I don't really know or like happy... I'd rather be with my kids, hubby, cats, and computer friends like you... hazygal
    [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  20. Gracie65

Gracie65 New Member

It must be that our hearing is extra sensitive or our systems cannot handle the noise that others and even we used to function with everyday. I not only find loud noises, especially sudden loud noises very distracting but it causes me pain immediately. I just 'feel' the noise in some strange way.

I used to be able to type at my pc even a year ago and have the t.v. on or music at the same time. Absolutely no more. I feel my ability to think clearly is at about zero with that kind of distraction, so cognitive abilities which are already not great, are reduced more by noise.

Frankly, everything regarding my senses is changed. I dislike intense brightness, my eyeballs almost ache from it, even everyday sunshine for a brief time will give me a headache. Smells too, many household cleaners and sprays make me dizzy and breathless and my tolerance for meds is changed dramatically. What was a usual dose of say an antihistamine, has to now be broken in half or I will sleep for a day or more.

It's like I am on overdrive in my central nervous system which causes me physically to be exhausted all the time...what a nightmare this is!