Do you do some cleaning , etc. and right into a flare/PAIN?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, May 21, 2006.

1. All I did was clean the patio furniture yesterday and bamm today I am in major pain. I find this happens all the time, and I really didn't do that much as I had help. Does this happen to you?
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

will set me off into a flare. Yesterday I pushed a hugh basket of groceries around the grocery store, unloaded them to my car and then unloaded them into the house. Cooked and did three loads of laundry and by 8:00 p.m. I was in such pain that I had to down a pain pill and prop myself up in the easy chair.

TxSongBird
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I limit myself to 1 1/2 hrs. of physical labor or so. When I did "Spring cleaning", I would work closer to 3 - then spend the rest of the day on the sofa! And took hot epsom salt baths at night.
  4. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Day before yesterday I damp mopped my kitchen floor and spot scrubbed with a long-handled scrub brush. The next day I was a mess, hurting all over. I'm still hurting today, but some better.

A bad day following relatively light work is really common with me, but doesn't happen every time I do something. I've wondered why it's not totally consistent, and can't really find a reason why one day this amount of exertion will cause major problems, and another time it might have a much lesser effect. Sometimes just walking a block to the mailbox causes problems, other times I don't notice much effect at all.
  5. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

and I am pooped beyond reason. We aren't allowed to take the stairs in the Courthouse, they are locked down for emergencies only so I didn't have to climb any stairs. Just had to cross two lanes of heavy traffic on foot and then up some outside stairs, but I feel like I ran a maraton.

TxSongBird
  6. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

most times it's the vacuuming that does it. i have an upright and need to vac the carpeted stairs leading to the upstairs. then vac up there. this is after vac'ing downstairs.

so it's common for me too. unfortunately. i'm a single mom and need to do what needs to be done. then i'm flaring.
  7. for some reason vaccumming is the worst thing for me too. But unfortunately , like hayleycole says what doesn't wipe me out!
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I don't know if I'm different, but it seems like I don't get "flare ups". I just hurt every day...plain and simple. Sometimes I hurt more after "doing something", but there is always a body part throbbing or aching all of the time, everyday.

I also have to do most of the cleaning, but my hubby helps when he's not too busy with his business. We can't afford a maid either, so I do cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, and special cleaning projects (like scrubbing the kitchen floor by hand)that are done once ot twice a year. Doing dishes even wears me out.

I have tried to pace myself and accomplish one thing a day, or complete one room a day. Then I allow myself to relax the rest of the day.

I never realized it before, but I keep going like the energizer bunny, pain or not...Maybe it's time I start to take better care of myself!

Thanks for sharing fibrobutterfly!
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had to clear all the winter stuff that had collected in our summer porch. I spent several hours on it and it looks great but now I'm permanently attached to my heating pad.

I know better but......

10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

What did you clean the furniture with? It may be that the chemicals is what hurt you instead of the physical labor.
    When I use anything to clean with(Sprays) and inhale them, I get really sick! Be sure to use a mask and rubber gloves b/c MCS is a horrible afflection.
    Hugs Shirley
  11. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I'm in the process of doing some spring cleaning myself, and am in a terrible flare. My husband is very good about helping with the housework, but he does work full time, just like I do. Only, his job is physical, and tires his body out during the week.

So, I spent the weekend cleaning the kids room (that took a good 4-5 hours - slightly overdue), cleaning off the cluttered surfaces in the living room & kitchen, cleaning the kids bathroom (my mom's plumbing backed up & they had to come use our bathroom a few times, so I needed to make it presentable)! Then last night I cleaned the rest of the kitchen, including the floor. I didnt' scrub hard or anything, but my back, legs & shoulders are killing me!!

I'll probably feel like heck for at least a week. But, I will no longer be embaressed if someone comes over & sees my house. So, I guess it's a trade off.

So, yes, housework causes terrible flares, but someone has to do it. I am able to let things go for awhile, but after so long I just can't stand to look at the mess anymore & I just have to do something about it. And, there are some things that my husband just doesn't clean, which makes them my job I suppose.

Take care & happy cleaning,

Leanne
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

Cleaning=hurting. If I clean I better be ready to hurt. No matter how little I do.

Kriket
  13. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I can no longer vacuum which is quite funny it was my favorite tool to clean, and I could do it fast and it sucks up everything so quickly.

However I can no longer grip the vacuum and handle pushing and pulling it back. So my dad for the first time in his life has been enlisted to vacuum now LOL. My mom can't do it because of bulging discs in her back and my obviously my cat is deadly afraid of the vacuum so he can't do it LOL.

I am trying to figure out to clean my room a little more, it has gottem a little crazy in here. I am going to see how I feel in the morning or afternoon and do so light cleaning with the Swiffer duster.

14. Shirley I cleaned the furniture with murphys oil soap. It was the bending that killed my low back and hips. It sure looks nice but I will pay a long time for it. I hate this dd.
    I like to caccumm too, but my body screams afterwards if I do.
  15. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I'm sorry that you are hurting !
    I would wear rubber gloves when you clean. Even Murphy's Oil Soap has chemicals in it. If I don't wear gloves....I can bet that I'll be sick after cleaning.
    Even smelling and inhaling the fumes of cleaning products makes me sick. Try the rubber gloves and if it helps,it will be worth the inconvenience of wearing them!
    Also open a window and make sure there is air circulating
    in the room.
    Hugs Shirley
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2006]
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

cleaning products will throw me into pain very fast.I can not breath them in or I feel so so like I have the flu.
  17. doxielover70

doxielover70 New Member

And I have a bad habit of really pushing myself. We are doing renovations in our bedroom and 8hrs will go by and I can't walk the next day. Will take couple days to get over it. I can only use certain cleaning products as most really bother me. Simple Green is the one I use the most.