Do you doubt yourself about Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

I have hesitated posting this because maybe it is too far out there... but here it goes.

We Fibros all know what the naysayers think - that it is just all in our heads and we are freaking ourselves out and the pains are either made up or just don't have to happen if you were thinking straight.

Like, when the weather changes and we hurt so bad, some people look at us sideways and think "the weather cannot make your muscles hurt, so now I know you are nuts".

No matter how many expert opinions we read that say "Fibro pains are real, valid, and very difficult to live with", there might still that hint of doubt in the back of our minds, there is in my mind anyhow, and I have read everything. I even think that the Drs. Light have found the proof about muscle sensory dysfunction, but I still doubt it is real sometimes.

What happens when we doubt it is real is that we might over do our activity just to prove to ourselves that it happens, and that is a sad thing for someone to do to themselves!!

Or, we might start thinking how crazy we are to be putting ourselves through all this when a normal person would just adjust their thinking and be over it...

Does anyone else have these doubts?
  2. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Do you also remember when they said the FM symptoms don't get worse??????

Liar, liar's

3. tig519

tig519 Member

I never had doubts that my FM is real, that my pain is real.

I am blessed that my family and friends do not doubt it either, and I have two doctors that do everything they can to treat me. They work with me about whether something may work, different combinations... both eastern and western medicine... and trials that may be going on in my area that I might be interested in.

I would like to say to those who aren't in the same situation to not give up hope! I actually found myself constantly sending links to articles regarding FM to family and sometimes friends. Short of them having the same awful disease (which I wouldn't wish on anyone), education is the next best thing to get them to understand.

It IS a disease, an awful one, don't every doubt it!
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have never doubted my diagnosis of FM and it is recognized by the American College of Rheumatologist.

However, I have always doubted if I have CFS, not because I don't have symptoms but because I really think that CFS may be an umbrella term for different illnesses.

5. loto

loto Member

I used to wonder if I actually have FMS, but I am now convinced I DO have it, and I KNOW it's real.
    The more I read research and articles about FMS, the more I know it is REAL and I was diagnosed correctly.
    I see where you're coming from, though.

6. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I have had so many people tell me "it is all in my head" sometimes I feel like it is the truth. I've had many people tell me "did you try this, that or the other thing". Even though I have, I still wonder....maybe I didnt....maybe I didnt long enough, or hard enough.

I so know what you mean!
  7. akwildflower

akwildflower New Member

No, you are not crazy. I've had my doubts, too. Some days I think I am just a hypochondriac and sometimes I think I am just lazy. But most days I realize that I do have an illness that is now recognized by many in the medical field. As much as I hate it, I have to face the fact that I have this illness.

Thankfully, I am doing fairly well these days and although I still experience pain and fatigue, I know that I am still OK and can live a happy and productive life. I just can't do the things I did before I got sick, but there are plenty more options for me.

Wishing you deep peace and blessings!
  8. terrilyn

terrilyn New Member

Sometimes these statements about it all being psychological get to me, too...even though I came down with this in 1982. In my case (I have CFS/ME and FB) I think it's about my guilt about letting other people down. Also, when I was growing up my family was very stoic about pain, so giving into it -- even mentioning it -- feels like a crime. And when I have a good morning, or a good day, or 2 good days, I instantly start to scold myself, telling myself that this the real self, and the person in pain is a self-dramatizing fraud.

I think there's another part of me, too, that wants to be well again. That part sometimes grabs onto the idea that this is all in my head. After all, that would be easier to cure.

So yes, I've had these feelings. In my case, they are linked to something self-destructive, something that feels I have no right to say "I'm in pain" and "I need help."

But I am slowly accepting that there is still beauty and value in my life, even if this pain must go on for a very long time. In my case, I have do that old cliche of slowing down to smell the roses ... and trusting that my friends and family will love me even if I'm sick. Because I AM sick. It is not in my head. And when I don't believe that, I am my own worst enemy.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2010]
  9. roge

roge Member

my answer : NO NO NO and a final NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i understand your feelings but both fm andme/cfs are very real physical diseases. they are not due to repressed emotions or any other psycho babble theory. the list of physioligical anbormalites is just way too numerous. there is definitely something dysfunctional going on with the muscles of one with FM.

as for myself, i have both fm and me/cfs. i am 40 and was once an athlete (absoltely loved to be fit and active) and had a promising career as an investment banker. now i can barely walk on some days, can do maybe 20% of the house chores and am on disability. not the life i chose for sure but trying to make the best of the situation and focusing on what i can do and not what i cant. it does help a lot that i have a loving and supportive wife and family and friends who for the most part believe me.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Since I last posted, I have found that I have OSA. Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I really wonder if this is what has contributed to my exhaustion. The sleep doctor said I would still have the FM but since sleep is so important with this DD, hopefully it will make me more functional.

I stopped breathing 51 times per hour during REM sleep. The number during the other phases of sleep were also high but not as high as during REM sleep.

It will be interesting to see how much this has had a role with the fatigue.

Yes, CFS is a real physical illness. I have always had my doubts about the diagnosis for me. But I do have debilitating fatigue and PEM but maybe OSA can also cause this?

Hopefully we will have more answers in the near future!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2010]