Do you drink any alcohol?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, May 20, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am embarrassed even to post this. I have to admit that in the last few weeks, the pain has been so unbearable, I have had a glass of wine in the evenings just to be able to sit and not writhe in pain and have a converstaion with my dh. But, then I sleep even worse at night and feel more depressed the next day. So, I know that is not the best thing to do, especially with all the meds I am taking. I'm sure my liver does not need it at all. But it is such a temptation. It kind of scares me.

I just wondered what everyone's reaction to alcohol was?
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

JewelRA:
    A while back I admitted in this forum that I was drinking to self-medicate. I got loads of good advice, went to a self help program for about a month and told my doctor what I did. He said all I had to do was to come to him in the beginning and he would have changed me to stronger meds.

I do not go to the self help group, as they were against me using any kind of medication like Percocet. I took my doctor's advice and he said he would take better care of me.
    I am glad I went, but feel much safer with the doctor who I know.

Your wine. That's how I started. I drank one beer, realized it made me feel a little better and then it started to increase when I knew it would make me bubbley and in less pain. And yes, I woke up in more pain the next morning and felt depressed.

So, I can not really say any more about your wine tasting.
    All I could do is tell you what happened to me.
    If you are having just one glass in the evening: it might very well be OK. Just be careful.

nyrofan
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Alcohol gives me a headache even just a little:) I do not get headache as a rule. It never helped me with pain. I think that's because I'm highly allergic to it.
    Take care, Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2006]
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

especially morphine.The alcohol causes it to be released all at one time causing an overdose.This can result in coma or death(anybody remember Karen Quinlin?THis is what happened to her)Linda
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I used to drink beer but that was many years ago and would only drink during the weekends; didn't drink during work-week. But....that was before all my health problems began. It's been a long time now and don't think I could even stand to taste it now, not to mention the mixture with the meds that I'm on.

My Mother, who is NOT a drinker, heard that a glass of wine each night is good for you but again, she is not on any meds and that didn't last long.

I would definitely be careful.

Take Care,

BlueSky555
  6. megchampagne

megchampagne New Member

I am one of three people I know quite well who have fibro. All of us are moderate drinkers (a couple drinks a night during the weekends).

Obviously it depends on what kind of medication you're on. You just have to figure out how your body works, what it will and won't respond to, negatively and positively.

As for wine, it has been medically proven that a glass a night has significant heart benefits, very important for those of us with fibro. I've even read in books about fibro, written by doctors, that wine is perfectly acceptable.
  7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I cannot handle poisonous drugs for pain, depression, etc.

So I self medicate w/alcohol in moderation. Cute story:

An old man while waiting for his pain RX to be filled; stomped off & said.........I'll be back; going to get my Jack Daniels.....it works better anyway!!

We all have to make choices to keep ourselves in a comfort level. I would not judge anyone who uses morphine, percocet, or any other RX's if they "work for you". Same applies to those who use alcohol.

And, yes health books are now recommending a glass of white wine before dinner. My maltese has to have his couple of sips; he loves it!! But won't touch any other kind. Boosts our GABA.........

LIGHT***********carole
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Don't blame yourself, just watch the drug interaction. Do what truly helps you, just don't overdo.

I can drink vodka but nothing else. Unless you count water..... ;>P

Next day note to self: Can no longer drink vodka either, since flare. :>(

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2006]
  9. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

when i was my twenties i did my share of that and only have maybe 6 beers a year now!

re: red wine -- watch out for wines containing sulfites which lots of people avoid due to headache occurances.

as we all know, it's best not to mix meds and alcohol. and as we all know, we're not perfect either!! just take care.

10. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I take 27 different prescriptions. Im afraid anything with alcohol would kill me!!

Suzette
  11. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I take 27 different prescriptions. Im afraid anything with alcohol would kill me!!

Suzette
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have not drank for two years, prior to that I used alcohol to treat my pain. I had no meds for pain so I would have 2-3 drinks every night.

I know now it only made me worse, maybe even contributed to the pain.

Since finding a good doctor who believe in, and treats fibro, I am much better.

I believe the worst thing about drinking is it can really mess up your digestive system. I am sure had I never drank I would not have the problems I have.

The good news is, I am gradually getting better.
  13. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I am a small person and have always had a low tolerance for alcohol, but could and sometimes did drink a little. With the CFS, my tolerance for alcohol decreased to the point that I can not have even one drink and drive the same day. Besides which, I can't afford it.

I do not have enough pain to take pain medication. Didn't someone recently say that taking Omega 3 fatty acids(fish oil, flax oil, etc) increased the effectiveness of their pain meds?
  14. claudia2

claudia2 New Member

I have been drinking and I think enjoying it too much. I'm mostly house-bound and I find I'm looking forward to that wine or vodka in the evening. But I'm going to cut way back because of weight issues and the wine makes my face flush red-hot.

About the sleep effect ... I read that wine at night will initially make you sleepy, but then after a couple of hours of sleep, the sugar kicks in and wakes you up!
  15. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I don't drink as I am on medication and believe me they do not mix well together. Keep in mind the mixture of meds and alcohol could be deadly.

Plus even without meds for me, alcohol does weird stuff to my body and I feel more pain. So no alcohol for me.

As for what you are going through, maybe try some counseling coupled with help from your doctor if your doc supports you perhaps, or if you feel the need to and if it is appropriate, the AA meetings but I know they are not for everyone.

However take out the alcohol from your home so you will not feel the temptation, and definitely look into getting some help.

I will keep you in my thoughts and my prayers.

Much love.
  16. starmom

starmom New Member

I have never liked beer or wine coolers. I like some wines, really enjoy going to wine tasting ever 3 or 4 months.I do, and always have, loved hard liquor. bourbon is my absolute favorite - and the more expensive the better.

I don't drink though. I have little addictive tendencies, but the morning after just stinks if I have even one drink. My IBS goes into overdrive. I do find that the higher quality (and price) liquors give me less of the side effects. As does drinking LOTS of water and having protein with any alcoholic drink.

Even if I didn't have the nasty aftereffects, I really can't afford the alcohol I like on my budget. But a bottle of booze lasts about 4 to 6 months here. I use it to make homemade vanilla (soak the beans in alcohol) and my hubby will hve a drink every few weeks.

Susie
  17. jane32

jane32 New Member

I think if you have Fibro you might feel better from it but it is definitely a "NO" for cfs sufferers.

I met a woman the other day that has had cfs for 10 years and she is doing really well but still can not drink if she does she is sick for a month.

I had a 1/2 of beer one night and I was in bed for 10 days with a hangover--I am done with it!
  18. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

hi all!
    since i only ever drank when i went out to dance clubs and i don't feel good enough to do that right now i haven't had any alcohol in a long time. but i really don't think that a drink or two every now and then is really going to kill anyone. so i wouldn't say i will never have any alcohol ever again.
    rachel
  19. berrytired

berrytired New Member

My husband and I are very social so I indulge on weekends! but I can only drink beer. Wine gives me headaches and hard liquor just makes me too drunk. Depending on how I'm feeling (flare up) I won't indulge too much..but if I have something planned...I don't let this stop me.
  20. berrytired

berrytired New Member

but in saying that...during the week is used for exercise!