Do you drink liquids with your meals?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Sep 21, 2006.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

When I saw my naturopath last weekend she said you shouldn't drink when you are eating. She said especially if you had digestion problems. I ALWAYS drink when I am eating! This is one habit that is going to be hard to break!

I read somewhere (maybe here for all I can remember) that if you drink with your meal it dilutes the digestive juices and then your stomach can't digest your food proberly.

Raz
  2. darude

darude New Member

Thought you were supposed to drink water with food???
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I have always had something to drink with my meals.

Kriket
  4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

On how thirsty I am, but a lot of times I don't, actually.

I just never see much point of drinking unless I'm thirsty.
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

or before your meals? How long before or after, I wonder?
    Mini
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I have heard that it is better not to have liquids with your food...but who doesn't???? I usually have water but I try not to drink water with each bite, only have a sip if food is very dry.

I think it's more important to chew your food well before swallowing. The digestive process begins in the mouth with the saliva. Saliva contains enzymes which help the disgestive process. There is a saying.."Drink your food and chew your liquid" which means chew your food until it is liquified and mixes well with saliva in your mouth. This way the food has a better chance of releasing its nutrients into your digestive tract when you swallow. You also actually taste what you are eating this way. Chewing your liquids may sound silly, but if your do, it also mixes well with your saliva.

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2006]
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

At least some Asian cultures subscribe to this theory....that if you drink warm liquids (never cold) right after eating rather than during, you will digest food better.

I think a lot of CFS sufferers are low on stomach acid. I had mine tested once (when I was more ill) and it came up as having no stomach acid at all. (This is a weird test.....you swallow a capsule with a string hanging out, then hold onto the string for a while until the capsule dissolves, and then pull out the string and see what color it is. It's not as icky as it sounds to do.)

If you're low on stomach acid, supplementing with betaine Hcl acid may help. You're supposed to start with a low dose and work up, making sure that you're not at the point where you're getting a warm sensation in your stomach.

Older people often have no stomach acid and can benefit from this too.

I'd guess that the thing with water is that it dilutes the acid. If there's enough acid there, it probably doesn't matter.

I personally drink a lot of water and would have a hard time eating without some....
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Well, I cannot drink with my meals.

I had the lapband surgery this past March, and we are not allowed to drink with our meals. IT washes the food through the new pouch too fast, so you dont stay full as long. I
    t would totally defeat the purpose of the procedure.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

10. Casamadre5

Casamadre5 Member

I haven't taken drinks with meals for many years...has helped my digestion. I heard of it in the 70's, gave it a try and found my gi system worked better that way.