Do you ever feel life is so hopeless?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by thirkmom, May 13, 2006.

1. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

After going days upon days in a painful blur, I sometimes start feeling pretty hopeless. I was in one of those particular moods when I accidentaly stumbled across this website. www.clinicaltrials.gov. On the first page I went into "listings" and it pulled up the alphabet. I went into the "F's" and pulled up fibromyalgia.

There are 161 entries for pharmacological and non-pharmacological trials either recruiting, getting started, or finishing up. Also listed are their participation requirements. A lot of the drugs are medications that are already being marketed for other things. The drug companies therefore, are trying to prove that these drugs would be beneficial to those with fibromyalgia. If approved by the FDA they will be released for the treatment of fibromyalgia and available for the Dr.s to prescribe. Once that drug shows efficacy, then the insurance companies will be more likely to pay for the prescription.

Of particular interest was the vegal nerve stimulator. It is implanted much like a pacemaker and it interrupts the pain signal. I is implanted under the skin just below the collar bone.

Anyway, it was wonderful to see that people are looking for new treatments and who knows, maybe in 5 years we can be cured. I thought this might be of some interest to some of you. LuAnn
  2. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I try not to focus on the negative aspects of this DD. If I did then I think that I would go crazy. But sometimes it still comes around and bites me in the butt when I least expect it.

My biggest sadness comes from right now not knowing if I'll be able to get back on a horse when that is one of my greatest loves. I am having trouble with my knee popping and it hurts sooooo bad. It does this during normal movements too sometimes but it almost always does it when I go to get on a horse. Hubby is trying to figure out something to assist me and I hope he does because I don't know how long I would be able to stay positive if I lose this ability too.

FMS takes so much away from us but I try to stay focused on the things I can still do. I also think about how much worse things could be. I have to think that way or I would go into a depression that I might never come out of. I came out of that depression after I was diagnosed and learned to live around this condition. I don't want to go back.

I too don't look for a cure anytime soon but I keep watching and hoping for a proper treatment plan that actually helps everyone and a definate tool to diagnose these horrible DD so that they will be taken seriously. I don't ever want to give up hope on that.

Until that time comes though I will stick with my natural remedies because I found that having to deal with Dr's bad attitudes only made me feel worse.

I am glad that you decided to stay with us.
  3. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I'm so glad you have found combinations of things that work for you. Are you going to one of the FFC clinics? I've been looking in to the one in Salt Lake. The cost is very prohibitive for me. Four years ago I had to have a gastric bypass to basically save my life and we had to mortgage the house so I could have the surgery. My co-pay for my meds are $450.0,. and I'm on disability to boot. I've been searching this message board for new ideas. I have an appt with my Dr. at the pain clinic and I'm loaded with new information thank to all of you. LuAnn
  4. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Thank you for encouraging me to continue posting. Rick's words stung a little and I thought "Oh,no --I screwed this up." My feelings were hurt and I figured that I better just sit back and be a silent observer. No grudges or pouting. Truly, if you hadn't posted a message encouraging me to continue posting,I probably would have stopped coming here. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts that you post. You are very articulate and well spoken. I wanted to say more but it has been a very long day with the visitors and visiting and all for mother's day. I'll get back with you when I can keep both eyes open. I really appreciate you taking the time to write back. LuAnn
  5. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I feel so bad that this desease has taken away so much and is threatening to take yet another thing you enjoy. I can identify with the knees popping. I wake up in the night with my knees swollen and hurting. I know if I move them just a minute bit, it will send shock ways that jolt me right awake and I can't go back to sleep. Thank you too for encouraging to stay and keep posting. I need this place and I need your support. Got to go to Bed. Trying to stay awake and my head keeps slammin the keyboard Thanks LuAnn
  6. Lunatic2

Lunatic2 New Member

I stopped taking anti-depressants because of the side effects. My doctors don't like it, but I hold fast to my Faith that GOD is in Control and HE can see me through anything.
    I sleep 2 hours at a time, day or night. It's miserable.
    I live with chronic pain & fight "fear" of becoming paralyzed because of my diagnosed condition.

I will be bold enough to tell you to read "Psalms" in your Bible and you will gather strength to "get through" those worse times. I promise.
    and know that You are special and are "here" for a special reason. "Carry on", your a warrior!
    Never give up! NEVER GIVE UP!