Do you ever feel like a hypochondriac???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by XKathiX, Dec 10, 2005.

1. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I was thinking about illnesses in general and how is seems like we are a sicker society. Or is it that medicine has gotten better at diagnosing and naming things?

Sometimes I feel like I have information overload. Like there are so many theories about different ways to cure aches and pains and after awhile it is overwhelming!

It's almost like I just want to say to heck with all the theories, remedies, drugs, diets, vitamins, etc.....

disillussioned Kathi......
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

But I don't have any specific reasons for feeling that way except that my grandmother had similar problems and was labeled as one. When people talk about her now they say that they think she must have had, "whatever you have." Those are the words they use. So I guess they think I'm one, too.
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Kathi,

I have smiled through this pain for so many years....just because I was exposed to a REAL ONE!

I have just recently allowed myself to express my feelings to some people about the pain. But, you probably know what I mean when I say...only to some people!! You can tell when people either care less...or they don't understand. So I just try to smile...if possible and walk or hobble away!! :)

We are not hypochondriacs...no matter how people make us feel!! Keep reminding yourself!!

With Love and Big Hug......Mama

4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I think both. And you're right, the information out there is overwhelming. Elimination tactics might be of help. Most illnessess can be found in blood draws, tests, etc. FM/ CFS don't have much else than patient history plus trigger points or tender points. One thing common in both is a slightly elevated colestorol level. As many of us are women, we are blessed with this thing called intuition! Coupled with education and wisdom we can sort of pinpoint things, don't you think? I don't feel like a hypochondriac, but going thru all possibilities of what our troubles are and finding all those matching symptoms sure can be troubeling. A good physician will do the same, but with lab tests that quickly eliminates all the stuff we can't. Blah, blah, blah, yada yada! I feel like I'm yappin'!! Gotta go!
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

most definitely not.

In fact I think that most of us with this DD downplay our illnesses because they are misunderstood.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2005]
  6. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I think that because FMS is such an "odd" illness to have, at times I think..well, maybe if I "pretend" I am ok..I will be more OKAY! But, what I find out, is that I cannot just think this all away!LOL It is hard to always have to cut back on activities...to always be forced to take care of myself, especially this time of year when so many fun things are going on. But, I almost hate to talk about anything else that happens to be "wrong" with me...because so often I have to say "no" because of FMS.
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I don`t generally except when I go into the doctors office. They make me feel that way. They look at me like oh here she comes again, what`s wrong now. They don`t understand all the things these diseases do to your body. That`s why I was so happy when I went into the FFC`s doctor. That one doctor of about 40 that I have seen finally believed me and understood. That was priceless.

Sandy
  8. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

aren't acceptable illnesses to have according to society. unlike other serious illnesses, we are expected to be able to put mind above matter and change the outcome. is this expected with cancer or diabetes, or do people have compassion for people with those diseases, as something has happened to them which wasn't deserved. Don't let anyone make you feel that you are making up your symptoms--particularly doctors, some of whom are inadequate and have no idea how to treat us, so they just make us feel like we are making it up. Blessings to you. Jen102
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I think you make a good point. Counselling would be good for us. Not because our illnesses aren`t real but because we carry a hugh burden living with all this. A counseler could help us cope and also just to get some of these feeling out.

I have never gone but have been thinking of going. I would like to find someone though, that has counseled people with chronic illnesses and is good at it. Some people just can`t afford unfortunatly. It is so very expensive. I do have insurance that would cover some of it.
  10. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Yes, there are days I feel like a hypochondriac, until I talk myself back into reality again. Like Suzan, I have tried and tried to "think it away" and "pretend I'm fine" -- guess what? It doesn't work, and I just pay more for it later!

As for counseling/therapy -- it *can* help. I'm a training therapist myself, and can attest to the power of therapy to heal. It won't relieve the physical pain, most likely (except sometimes where stress is playing a large role in perpetuating the pain), but it can help with all the emotional burdens that go along with living with chronic, invisible illness. It is important to find someone who is well versed in chronic pain/illness, if possible -- the last thing any of us needs is yet another doctor-type telling us to think good thoughts and this will all go away...

Also, in some cases (not all!), past emotional trauma can play a role in some types of chronic pain. There's a lot of research indicating that prolonged, early trauma can cause permanent changes in the nervous system, endocrine response, brain structure, etc. -- real, lasting, physical changes. Therapy won't necessarily be able to reverse any of those changes, or eliminate symptoms entirely, but resolving the trauma can sometimes aid in calming down the whole systemic response, especially as it relates to emotional trauma triggers.

11. roadkill

roadkill New Member

That is exactly what I am NOT...and neither are you.

I get so tired of hearing:
    Think Positive.
    You Can Think Your Way Out of This.
    You Have the Ability to Heal Yourself.
    You Have to Participate in Your Own Recovery.
    AAAAAAAGGH

It is enough to drive a person insane.

I remember being in this state of mind for years. Denying that I am ill, that I have limits. Real limits. All that time I felt an underlying nagging guilt because deep down inside I FELT LOUSY.

As soon as someone knows that I am ill, all of a sudden there are suggestions, questions, demands from people who for some unknown reason think they have to help me get better. Then holy hell breaks loose when I am not responding to their care.
    That is when the accusations start flying my way.

It is so hard to overcome the accusations and subtle nuances that are implied when people get frustrated that they cannot help you. It is interesting to see this human characteristic. If someone is ill and they cannot respond to the suggestions, then they become targets for verbal abuse.

These days after I say that I have an illness, I am very quick to say to someone that -I am not asking them for a cure -before they offer one.
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

like one by some doctors. This led to treatable, painful, and disabling problems being left untreated in spite of all the obvious signs.

Medicine has become too reductionist, this works for some health issues but makes things more difficult in multisystemic illnesses.

I understand about the information overload, my brain fog, cognitive dysfunctions, and eye sight abnormalities made it very hard going when I started out looking for more feasible explanations. Likewise when wading through all the contradictary claims and hypotheses. It was the light bulb moments that kept me going - thank goodness for the Internet.

Like many I get tired of being offered advice on what I should do, but this only comes from people who do not know me well. If I want advice I will ask for it, or involve myself in discussions provided by facilities like this one.

Suggestions and debates on what may or may not help meant I became aware of things that proved beneficial for me. I am realistic in that I accept what works for one might not work for another; this is true of other chronic illnesses.

I am also realistic over how difficult the ramifications of these DDs are for others to understand if they have not had similar experiences themselves.

When I go out I try to avoid talking about my illness, on the rare occassions issues around it come come up it is more often about advocacy and medical politics. Having studied and qualified in clinical nutrition, and others being aware I am mostly self treating, I am often asked about diet, supps and plant based remedies. That's ok since I can do this in a way that keeps it detached from my own illness.

Tansy[This Message was Edited on 12/11/2005]
  13. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I love questions that make me think! This is a wonderful one and all the responses are also wonderful!
    First off I have had FM for at least 30 years, and except for the last 2 years since my diagnosis I had suffered family members, friends and doctors who suggested that I needed to relax, get some exercise, loose some weight and generally made me feel as if I was some how responsible for the way I feel. Even though I genuinely believed in my heart that there was something wrong with me I drove myself to perform as others thought I should because I felt the need to live us to their expections and the expections that I put on myself. When I finally was given the diagnosis for FM I was initially elated because I finally felt credible but then became extremely angry. I was fortunate to be able to go for counselling with a wonderful therapist who practiced cognitive behavioural therapy. They don't tell you to think happy thoughts or put a smile on your face but they do help you to analize a lot negative thoughts and feeling that you have and helped me work through my anger at the world for making me feel like a hypochondriac for so many years! With this help I am becoming a much happier person. Yes I still have the pain and other rotten symptoms but I refuse to accept the negative messages people try to feed me anymore!
    Keep on asking questions Kathi and know that the people here understand how you feel. hugs Marion
  14. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi everyone,

This was a great thread and I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts on this subject. I guess I should say that deep down I don't feel like a hypochondriac because I know my pain is real. I guess I just get tired of hearing myself talk about it.

I think I share a bit of everyone's opinions. I've been in therapy for years and I do think that I need to discuss my pain more in there to learn how to try to deal with it. It is what it is and it's not going away soon, so I need to figure out how I can try not to let it run my life.

Thanks again everyone - hugs all around

-Kathi
  15. greatgran

greatgran Member

All the time..I get sick of feeling this way, one good day, then three bad ones seems to be my cycle over and over..I could complain 24/7 but who cares, so I don't..Even the docs don't get it..

My symptoms change so, one day its pain, the next day its fatigue, then the flu feeling, then the allergies/sinus and on
    and on..

I just think we feel bad most of the time.
    Even on the good days its nothing like I use to feel before the DD..Heck, I am always doubting my Dx and I think my doc does too...

Hang in there, maybe one day there will be some insight to this dd..

phyl
  16. donna275

donna275 New Member

In fact, just this past week, I had really bad anxiety about some abdominal pain, pressure, etc. This uncomfortable feeling lasted a couple of weeks in my abdomen. Anyway, it was a new pain, so I go on the internet and start looking up symptoms. I also ran into an article on ovarian cancer and the symptoms and immediately, my heart dropped because I had all the symptoms. I mean I started shaking and almost crying scared to death that that is what I had. Anyway, the next day I was calmed down, my husband helps me with that. The pain and uncomfortable feeling is almost gone. For all I know, I had a intestinal virus. So, I do believe I am a hypo sometimes. I have been diagnosed with FM. My pain/feelings/symptoms change so much and any new one I get, I automatically think its the worse thing, cancer. I am really embarrassed that I go to overboard. I don't know why. And, the more new symptoms I get, the worse I get. I kinda go, now what could this be, this is a new pain, etc. Then I also think back to stories of people with cancer, that they went to the doctor for a sore throat, a headache, a pain here and a pain there and they are diag. with some kind of cancer.

Oh well, i have had counseling for anxiety and learned some medtitation skills, but do not use it. I should have used it the other day for the anxiety. And, of course, when I get so anxious, my symptoms worsen dramatically.

take care,
    Donna
  17. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

When she said: "Everyday! I feel like I do nothing but complain about symptoms! I try my hardest NOT to say anything at all relating illness but it is hard when it is your whole life."

That's me 110%!!!

I feel like a hypochondriac sometimes, though, because I have had so many illnesses and physical problems over the years, ever since I was a child. And so many other people have said I was/am a hypochondriac. You know, people can only call you a duck so many times before you start to wonder......... ;)

Anyway, I know that it's demeaning to me when other people make me feel that way, and even more demeaning when I start to think it about myself. But when I've been pretty much conditioned since childhood to think that, and I can't afford to see a psychologist to get these thoughts out my head, what else can I do but just keep going and do the best I can?

Fog is rolling in now, and I REALLY need a nap. I feel lousy today (and not because I read this post, for those who are big believers in the "mindset" theory; I felt lousy before this.)

I'll just shut up now and go take a nap.

Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2005]
  18. code34me

code34me New Member

My family knows how I feel but they seem to not acknowledge it? I do complain about my symtoms alot and my husband says "that sucks" and then he just goes on about his buisness like I never said a word! My daughter (13) ask the impossible from me all the time and my son (3) of course does not get it. Sometimes I just think well I am not going to say another word about how I feel because it just does not matter. But the symtoms dont let me. Sometimes you want to stand up and yell "hey I dont feel good do any of you understand that?" and other times I just feel so alone in my own world of Fibro and just shut down! I am sure you all understand these feelings well! It is challanging for sure. Good thing we are all here for each other :) :) :)
    Codey
  19. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

My gosh, I could have written that!!!!!!

Except that my SON is 13 and my DAUGHTER is 3!!!!

Call me weird, but I just found this incredibly coincidental and about 95% accurate for ME! The response from Hubby, the kids, the way you feel....... everything!

Hugs!
    Starr

(( shaking my head in wonder..... that was just almost "spooky"-close to me! ))