Do you Ever Feel Like You Are In Another World?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shep, Nov 19, 2005.

1. shep

shep New Member

Do you ever feel like you have been picked up and placed in "another world?" My old world is gone.
    I feel so out of place around people "who know what they are doing, and know what they want to say, and can accomplish whatever is on their agenda; without all this stammering, and stumbling and sweating and rechecking themselves to be sure they have done their task correctly.
    I use to be able to carry on a conservation with anyone. Now, I only feel comfortable talking to my sister, who has fibro also. She and I can complete each other's sentneces with "fill in the blanks" when I can't say what I know I want to say, but can't get it from my brain out my mouth.
    Dealing with IBS daily has closed my world downt to doctor offices, drug stores. I send my hubby to do grocery shopping most of the time. I has a terrible episode while in a grocery store where I had to get to a bathroom. I walked all the way to the back of the store, which was a problem for me as I need both knees replaced and can't walk fast. Upon arrival at the much needed bathroom, the sign said "GO To Front DESK FOR KEY" *&&^%%
    I waddle back up front, squeezed very tightly together and retrive the key; and waddle back to the bathroom. Finally relief. To my amazement..no paper. If this wasn't so funny, I would have cried.
    I just feel as my world has been changed to one where there is nothing but doctor offices, labs, drug stores and constatly hunting and searching for some news from the previous planet I lived on that was normal.
    I just don't go around to functions and places and people whom I use to associate with. It gets so tiresome trying to tell them about fibro and why I can't sit thourgh a two hour movie, or eat out a restaurant (trying to find a bathroom before they are finshed with their meal), or walk for hours shopping in the mall.
    My world has turned upside down and inside out it seems. When I can sleep it seems it is during the day, and stay up most all nights. Why is that? I don't nap during the day.
    I was just wondering if any of you other fibro people feel as though you have been moved against your will to the "fibro zone?"
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i know just what you mean. i set here sometimes and need to go to the grocery store but put it off for days just so i wont have to talk to anyone else. i seem to be very selfish with my time to now, reserve energeny in case i need to type thing. i love people and visiting with them in the old world.
    i used to love life in the old world every day was an adventure new people new things new songs new smell in the air now i just wonder if i can make it untill noon.
    be well shep
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Used to get this feeling ALL the time, really weird, very difficult to explain to those around me.

After I had extensive allergy testing and eliminated as best I could environmental, and ALL food allergies, my diarrhea got under control and the spacey feeling.

Fondly, June
  4. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

"Greetings Earthlings", I too know what you mean. I only have one friend who seems to understand. Her husband has FMS but she kind of ignores him. "She" has diabetes and has many problems along with IBS as I do. If we take the plunge and go shopping or out for supper which rarely happens, it is a race to see who has to go to the restroom first. At least she understands this.
    As for going shopping by myself, I try to pick a time the stores won't be too busy and hope I don't run into anyone I know. I too don't answer the phone but let the answering machine pick up. Thank goodness for caller ID and I won't even answer my doorbell unless I know for sure who it is and then only if absolutely necessary. I wonder all the time, "What is wrong with me?" I used to be the one that was always ready for a trip anywhere for anything. The people who knew me then have forgotten me completely. Can't say as I blame them when I never get in touch with them either. I am always afraid they will think what I have may be "catching" or something because that is how some people act.
    So sorry about the bathroom ordeal. A walk to the back of the store would have been bad enough in itself without walking back to the front for the key.
    Stay tuned in.
    Stinker56
  5. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Who are all those blue men out thee? Me in another world? Nah!

Lyme disease has a lot of neurologically based symptoms. Encephalopathy (I think that's how its spelled) is what we call brain fog. You feel disconnected, sounds and sights are too loud and too bright, words don't come out right - you say one thing and its opposite of what you meant to say.

When a spec-scan is done on a person with lyme, their brain has decreased flow of blood in it compared to a normal brain.

The pain is like the feeling of coming out of surgery for some.

I use to have horrible IBS -- so bad I would have to lie down in the back of the car when we were going someplace.

I finally figured out I needed to do something besides live with all these symptoms. When I had a Western Blot, lyme blood test run through Igenex --- it came back positive?

Now I can concentrate on getting well instead of living with my symptoms.

Sandy
  6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I was describing "another world" in a different way.

I do go out, shopping (very uncomfortable) transcribing at computer 24 hours a week, instruct water classes five hours a week.

Consequently, am short on energy when I get home. I do as little shopping as possible.

But what I was referring to ealier was, while operating in a daily situation...whatever it may be.....I felt as though I was NOT there.

June
  7. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Shep, you and I may be living in the "fibro zone" but we have so much in common that it is almost frightening.

Like you, I need complete knee replacements so walking is torture. Also I have FMS, IBS, and no longer can do malls, movies, festivals, or anything like that. A good, clean, (unlocked) restroom (WITH toilet paper) in a store or restaurant is worth its weight in gold.

Hang in there Shep...you may be in the "fibro zone" but you certainly aren't alone!

Healing hugs,

Janice m.
  8. shep

shep New Member

Thanks to all of you who took the time to share your feelings and experiences with me. It helped a lot to know that I am not alone in my 'fibro fog zone."
    At times when all these crazy feeling decend upon me at one time, it seems so overwhelming one just wants to go straight up..into the geat beyond.
    But, with friends who take the time to support me by post and cards it does make it bearable.
    I must admit one of my faults I need to work on is 'hibernating" and 'advoidance" I don't answer the phone, or go to the door. I "feel" that people don't want to be bothered with 'crazy old Cathy." That is the one thing I should work on the most...to make myself ask for help when I need it. Call a friend to talk with when I feel overwhelmend. I have many friends at my church who would be more than willing to spend as much time with me as I needed to talk. But, with all these "crazy feelings and wierd behavior" I have allowed it to rob me of my self-esteem and self worth feeling like I don't need to bother them with my problems.
    Don't do as I do, do as I suggest and keep in touch with the normal world. IF we ever get back there ...then we will know how to function. My prayer is it won't be long.
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

I used to have severe IBS, but by eliminating allergic foods - I found out I am allergic to all grains with gluten in them. Wheat is the worst.
    Eliminating those foods and taking probiotics cured it completely.
    Last year when I had surgery and had to take antibiotics, I was sick again with IBS for 6 months until my intestines became healthy again.

It truly is like living on a different planet. But if your church friends are willing to connect with you and listen,
    you could feel so much better! And you could just start 'little by little'.

Wishing you the best.

10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I do feel very much the same. It seems like us Fm and CFS suffers have our own world and nobody notices us. The outside world is becoming more and more foreign to me.

I feel like I barely speak the same language as those other people. They can talk and laugh on and on, acting like they haven`t got a care in the world. That`s not my world. I have a heavy heart because of all I have been through and don`t feel like talking much less laughing a lot.

It really seems surreal sometimes. This all can`t be happening to so many wonderful people suffering so much and believed by so few.

I still find a lot of joy in life. I appreciate what I can do and what I have. I am just more careful with my time and energy. Your priorites have to shift with these illnesses.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2005]
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It seems we wake up one day and realize our lives have changed. For over ten years I was very sick with fibro, to the point I rarely left the house.

In the last year, my health improved "dramatically" with the help of a very good doctor. (Yes, it can happen). It is a miracle, I must say.

All would be great but I am now left with anxiety and a deep fear of getting sick like that again. I am struggling to learn how to live again like a normal person (whatever that is).

There is definitely a psychological effect from what we go through. Maybe it is what you call the fibro zone.

I am sorry for what you went through at the store. Its too bad we don't all live near each other so we could occasionally socialize with people who really understand our illnesses.

12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

i'd love to know more. I feel beyond the fibro zone tonight. i can relate too well to all these stories. much too well.

Jeanne
  13. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

ONLY MY FAMILY KNOWS HOW MUCH IM IN BED AND HOW I SLEEP TILL NOON.
    ITS SO EMBARASSING BUT I CANT EVEN REMEMBER FEELING NORMAL.
    I WENT TO SAMS TODAY AND WHEN I GOT HOME I LITERALLY FELL IN THE DOOR.
    EVERYONE CARRIED THE STUFF IN FOR ME. I DONT KNOW HOW ILL GET READY FOR THANKSGIVING. I BARELY COOK BUT MY DAUGHTER WILL HELP.
    IM SITTING HERE CRYING BECAUSE IM SO FRUSTRATED I PRAY THE FFC CAN HELP ME. I GO DEC5. ALL OF YOU HERE SEEM LIKE FRIENDS AND NOW YOU KNOW THE SECRET. LOVE GAIL
  14. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have to agree with the "jhmitch" post, "A good, clean, (unlocked) restroom (WITH toliet paper) in a store or restaurant is worth its weight in gold."
    My son laughs at me and calls me the bathroom patrol saying that I can tell you anywhere we go which place has the best & cleanest restrooms to use. He thinks I should be paid for my services. Maybe he is on to something since I can't work at much of anything else. lol
    Stinker56
  15. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Stinker56!

You wrote:
    >>"My son laughs at me and calls me the bathroom patrol saying that I can tell you anywhere we go which place has the best & cleanest restrooms to use. He thinks I should be paid for my services. Maybe he is on to something since I can't work at much of anything else. lol "<<

Oh yeah, I hear that too! My husband has suggested I do a review of all the restaurant & store bathrooms in our area, then publish a "Guide" for women who only want "the very best" in facilities.

With the wide geographical distribution of everyone on this board, we could probably develop a website devoted to this subject. (LOL)

Healing hugs!

Janice M.