do you ever forget that you are sick as such (iykwim?)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mischuv, Jun 18, 2006.

1. mischuv

mischuv New Member

I have found that for me I don't know weather it's that I've learnt to live with fms or that I just block it out as much as possible now or what it is but I find that sometimes it's almost like I forget about it.

First of all I should say that I have found that the best thing for me is to continue a daily form of exercise (walking and or stretching) or I really really feel the pain and almost "cease up" if you like. So I don't know if ths is the reason for my "forgetfulness" or not.

Anyway last week I was talking to my sister in law about how I want to hurry up and finish the course I am doing through distance education and she said to me to "slow down and take things easy, remember that you are sick" and for a moment I almost answered back what the hell are you talking about I feel fine when in actual fact I'm really tired almost all of the time and when I am honest about it I really ache all over. This was only moments after telling her about how long it had taken me earlier in the day to actually be able to get up off the couch and walk properly (even if I did walk slower than my grandma lol.)

Do you find you have times like this? I felt so stupid afterwards you would think that after all these years its really something that I would remember when I'm having a flare lol

Maybe it was just wishful thinking?????
  2. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

Please dont feel that you are alone on this. I have also had moments like this. I take for granted that when I am on a "good" swing I can "concur the world". I usually do too much and then my body reminds me about the DD. "Forgetting" makes me feel that I am still "the old me".

I do believe thought that when I do feel good I have to live - knowing my limits - enjoying life.
    I know flares will come and I will have bad days, but I dont live for the bad days - I live for the good.

3. mischuv

mischuv New Member

I'm glad that there are others out there who at some point feel the same.

Carolynanne I think you hit the spot "forgetting makes me feel like the old me" I'm sure this is what it comes down to for me it would be really nice to be back to the "normal" me. Now that's wishful thinking lol....
    I also really like what you wrote about living for the good days I think that using that kind of attitude really is the best way to get through live with this dd..

Mysticbrit wow I can't imagine having this for 30 years and being diagnosed at a time when there wasn't much information around...

lamotta77 I certainally agree with you about your theory I think I've started (after about 7 years of being diagnosed) to finally realise that for me it dosn't matter if I take it easy or if I just don't care and do what I want instead I will be in pain anyway so why not do what I want (while remembering my limitations) and enjoy it. Unfortunately I also "forget" this attitude at times also lol...

Thanks everyone for the replies and I hope we all have lots days of "forgetting" this dd...
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

No, I don't forget but I think it's incredible what human beings can learn to live with. I read a comment by a coroner once that said it wasn't so surprising what people died from as what they lived with.

Meanwhile, I think it's great that you're not focused on your illness. Good for you!

Marta
  5. lucysmom2

lucysmom2 New Member

This illness has consumed me for 3 and 1/2 years. I think of little else. It is the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing I think about at night. I so long for the old me to return, and I guess I'm not realistic enough to believe that is not going to happen. It has gotten so bad that I look at events in my life and categorize them as Before Fibro and After Fibro....then I find myself regretting that I wasn't more appreciative of my life before I got this DD and wish I had the chance to live my life over again. I am happy for you in your ability to forget about this sickness at times. Hopefully, I too will some day be able to stop obsessing about what might have been.
  6. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I've had this dd for more than a couple of decades and it's become a way of life for me. Since I don't know of any other way, I just continue down this path. I do remember being so full of energy in my younger days that I didn't know what to do with myself..

It's strange how we can take advantage of things but when we lose it, it's only then we can learn to appreciate it. I really didn't know what I had back then. But now I look back and I can see how blessed I was but how it gradually kept getting worse with time.

There are though those few and far between times that I gradually get to doing better, (well,what is better in my opinion anyway)and almost forget how bad it can be, but it's not long before reality slaps me up the side of the head and reminds me. Pain is always present, it just has it's better days occasionally..

And when I am in an up swing, I'll use up what energy I have, which will ultimately put me down for days or weeks.
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

One of the things I do to stay (marginally) sane is to pretend that I'm 95 years old. When you're 95 years old, all this stuff is normal. It's normal to be bedridden when you're 95. It's normal to have trouble reading and remembering things. It's normal to ache and hear all the joints popping when you try to move and to have a very hard struggle caring for your basic needs.

I even made up a song for when I have to get up off the couch to get to the bathroom or to the kitchen:
    These old bones
    Just keep a'walkin'
    These old bones
    These old bones, bones, bones...

When I have a worse day (every day is a bad or worse day, really, but my memory loss keeps me fairly in the present), I say to myself, Well, what can I expect? I'm 95!

I don't know if this is a healthy (wink) way to look at things, but I find that it helps me to be gentler with myself and to be more accepting of my boundries. I always thought I'd be a cool old lady some day - I just didn't think it would be so soon! ;)
    ((love)) Shannon
    P.S. I'm 24.