Do you ever get fatigued Suddenly?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Mar 25, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I have noticed I have two kinds of fatigue the long lasting fatigue and then the fatigue that just hits me suddenly and I start saying stupid stuff because I am soooo tried.

Does anyone else have the very sudden fatigue that just hits you all at once that you can tell the moment it happens?

I'm trying to figure out if this is FM related or something else going on with me.

Thanks!
    Froggy
  2. boho

boho New Member

HI Froggy,yes this kind of fatique happens to me quite often,it is like a severe weakness that hits all at once,kind of scarey!take care boho
  3. LastsGal

LastsGal New Member

My husband and I were just talking about this today. I was cruising along through my day doing pretty well when, all of a sudden, my brain and body just quit. I mean lay down and take a nap, down for the count, quit. Craziness.
  4. raspberrykisses

raspberrykisses New Member

It's bad too because it will hit me at work and I will litterly feel like I don't have the energy to even take another step. It's terrible.
  5. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Froggy,

Starting last year, I began having what I call "Extreme Fatigue Attacks"...They hit very suddenly & I get blurred vision/ speech. I feel the need to "crash" on my bed or recliner...And immediately fall asleep for 10-30 minutes! This started to happen frequently while I was driving! Talk about scarey! I actually had to stop driving because of these severe attacks. I get them at all times of the day & night.

The only thing that I could figure out was that over the last year, I was being treated for underlying infections. I had TONS of die-off/ endotoxin reactions. After experiencing the Fatigue Attacks for many months, I started taking my blood pressure during or after the attacks. It was super low!(Like 70's over 40's!) I've been told by my Dr. that endotoxins can cause one's BP to drop. So that is one theory.

I have temporarily stopped the protocol I was on all last year & I've had an improvement in the attacks. I still get them, but they are a little less severe & there are less of them. I DO take naps now when they happen or to ward off an afternoon attack.

It's inteesting to me that others are experiencing this too! I had FM for 13 plus years before having these attacks! They are awful. And they are very different than the general fatigue we feel with these DD's.

I am having a Sleep Study next month (overnight & daytime) to see if this is perhaps some form of Narcolepsy. Probably not...I'm expecting them to say it's "just" part of the Fibro. I already know I have Sleep Apnea & UARS at night (use a CPAP). I wonder what the test will show during the daytime study. Of course, I can only hope that my body does it's usual thing when I'm there that day!

Does anyone have any other info/ ideas about these attacks?

Hugs,
    Annie
  6. K9catherine

K9catherine New Member

I also have just recently been having this happen. The other day it hit hard. I was out trying to get some things done. Something I rarely do is go out but I was feeling okay that day. By 4pm it hit me like a ton of bricks. I looked at my husband and said I am crashing. I could not think and it took every ounce of energy I had just to walk to my house from the car. It got so bad that I even had trouble getting a breath. This only lasted a couple days and then back to my regualar fatigue. I know that this can be a symptom of fibro but also of CFS which alot of fibro people have as well.
    Cathy
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

yes, I get this as well.

I believe mine is dysautonomia/orthostatic intollerance. I can count on it happening.

I have a limited amount of time to be upright. I do better if I'm moving around a bit but if I'm standing a lot my fatigue will set in quickly. Going shopping is a real challenge - especially waiting in line at the grocery store.

When it comes on it's almost like my blood is being drained from my body. I find myself having to take deep breaths and leaning on my shopping cart. I become too tired to talk.

I try to keep water with me to try and keep up my blood volume. I also pay close attention to how I'm feeling and how much time I might have so I don't overdo it. I guess I pace myself.

Others have been with me and have said it's very obvious when I crash. My whole appearance changes.

Sofi
  8. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

Yes, yes and yes!

One minute I am feeling ready to take on the supermarket and the next I have to ask hubby to go because I get shaky all over, my arms and legs feel like they weigh 100 pounds each, pain level increases and I HAVE to lay down immediately before I fall over.

First time it happened I got a little scared because it felt like a total body meltdown. Sometimes just laying down for a couple hours helps, other times I will feel better but physically and mentally wiped for days.

Its very strange in that there is no warning at all. Its not like the gradual onset of fatigue that I usually have. Those times when gradually my energy level decreases, pain increases and I have those consecutive bad days. I am tired everyday, even after a good night's sleep, so when I say fatigue its different than the constant tired feeling.
  9. revlcb

revlcb New Member

I can actually feel it coming before it hits.

It feels like it's a wave of ocean. It builds, hits, then ebbs. I've got to at least sit down and rest when this happens or I feel as though I'll pass out. Above, it was mentioned that deep breathing helps, and I find this to be helpful as well...at least until I can get to somewhere I can sit down.

Taking one step seems like too much. Even breathing is a chore. Feeling as if your entire body weighs a ton and there's no way you're going to be able to budge it.

Oh yea, you're not alone, dear Froggy.

10. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Not the constant fatigue, but severe sudden attacks, as is described by others in answer to this question. I, too, have to find a place to sit or lie down, and getting a few deep breaths helps me also.

I am going to try to take my blood pressure the next time it happens, just to see if low bp is partly the cause.

I am relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this symptom!

God bless,

Debbie
  11. GoldensRule

GoldensRule New Member

I am always tired but sometimes it feels as if someone has let the air out of all of my tires. This usually happens on a good day when I start out feeling pretty good. Maybe it is because when I feel good I over exert myself. Not quite sure. Last week, I went out to lunch with a girlfriend and than had a doctor's appt. I than went to Kohls and it hit me. By the time I got home, I could barely walk up the stairs to get into bed. It was about 3pm and I never got out of bed until the next morning.

Next week I am going back to work after a six month sick leave. At work, it usually hits in the afternoon. I try to take my lunch as late as possible so that when I come back I only have a couple of hours before I can go home and collapse.

All the best, GoldensRule

12. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I get hit with sudden fatigue every now and again. Out of nowhere and for no known reason I feel like I have just hit a brick wall. I don't think it is blood sugar, because I tested myself several times. What I did notice is that bright sunlight and being in sun and high-humidity really wipes me out.

This is where I believe FMS crosses over to CFIDS. Just my thoughts - Bobby
  13. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

Yes, it hits me and I absolutely MUST go and lay down right then or else I will collapse. It is terrible! I never knew what caused it or that it was part of Fibro because I only recently was diagnosed. Now it is all starting to come together and make sense. It is so awful when it happens. Chinlover
  14. mujuer

mujuer New Member

One minute I'm cruising along at warp speed and the next minute I'm on the couch with my book. I feel it coming on also and that gives me time to hit the recliner, find my book and get ready for my nap. This doesn't happen often with me in the winter but it happens daily in the summer. Had to quit work at outside sales because I just couldn't drive like that.

Did this just start with you Froggy?
  15. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I agree that the heart is a major player in the crash phenomenon. I have MVP, POTS and Orthostatic Hypotension.

I've tried low doses of Toprol XL and Florinef but they didn't really seem to make much of a difference. I probably needed to up my dose but I didn't want more fatigue because of the meds. UGH!

Drs tend to treat these dx's rather indifferently. They don't seem to understand how dissabling they are.

Sofi
  16. nomentanus

nomentanus New Member

Sudden fatigue is strongly associated with MS, esp if factors such as heat or exercise are involved.

There are indications that both illnesses involve collagen.

There is a Photoperiod Effect that affects collagen formation, as detailed at photoperiodeffect.com

I'm following the protocol there and my life has turned around completely.
  17. TerryS

TerryS Member

YES, YES, YES!!!

I have "sudden drop dead fatigue" that occurs EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I get up around 9 am. I have anywhere from 3 to 5 hours that I can function at least a minimal level around the house. Then, BAMM, it hits very suddenly. I feel like someone literally pulled the plug on me. I can feel my energy draining out of my body. From that point, I have just a couple of minutes until I have to LIE DOWN.

I do have a positive anti-mitochondrial antibody (AMA/M2) which is specific for an autoimmune liver disease. I thought that this antibody what what was causing my problem as the mitochondria are the energy producers of our cells; however, maybe it's not...so many people have this problem apparently. Or maybe everybody else has a mitochondrial antibody, as well...hmm.

TerryS
  18. cwj-tlj

cwj-tlj New Member

This is how it's been for me over the past 4-5 years. Only coming on much more profoundly and lasting longer
    Otherwise I feel pretty good in between attacks. I haven't been officially diagnosed. Still looking for a Doc to do an initial w/u. I'm akso in AR. Not alot to choose. Thinking about going to an "expert"
  19. Empower

Empower New Member

I do get this - and it is scary

HOWEVER, please make sure what you are experiencing is not LOW BLOOD SUGAR (hypoglycemia)

I have hypoglycemia, and even at times when I think my blood sugar is okay, I get these weak tired spells and eat something and I am better.

BUT, I do know that "SUDDENLY I AM GOING TO FALL OVER" feeling. Like if I don't lay down, I will fall down, and this is NOT related to my hypoglycemia

One easy way to test (rather than going through the dreaded 3 hour glucose test) is to buy a cheap glucose monitor and check your blood glucose levels about 2 hours after eating.

If the reading is below 70, you should consult your doctor.
  20. momof471

momof471 New Member

Yes I can most definantly get these fatigue attacks, I can be doing something and all of a sudden its like I get punched with the fatigue, have to lay down asap. When this happens I also tend to have some of those brain zap thingy's and it really freaks me out. Its like and electrical current with fullness in the head then a wave of electricity down my body and out my toes. Sounds freaky I know, gets bad when I have one of these fatigue attacks.