Do you ever get "normal" colds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by XKathiX, Nov 15, 2005.

1. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi there,

Do any of you get normal colds - the kind that last a few days and go away?

I always end up with a sinus infection or upper respiratory infection.

I came back from Florida last week and a few family members were sick with colds which I caught. So it started last Tuesday and I kept taking that Airborne rememdy. I finally went to the doc. today and I have an upper respiratory infection and a sinus infection.

If that's not enough, she looks in my ears because they hurt and she's says "how cute" - go figure. She asked if she could call in her medical student because it's rare that she sees the type of bacteria that she saw in my ear. Hey - I'm all for training so I said "come on in and name that bacteria!"

She didn't get it right - apparently the type of bacteria causes mycoplasma infection which is characterized by blisters on the ear drums - gee, now I know why my ears hurt:).

I'm like a man when I get a cold (no offense guys - but it is like the men I know) - I am a big baby! I can deal with pain more than I can deal with the misery of being sick. I'm just hoping the antibiotics work quick.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel like kicking, screaming, and crying like a two year old!

-Kathi
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Nothing. I quit taking the flu shot because it seemed like a total waste. I used to wish I would get sick once in awhile so I would have an "excuse" to stay home from work or lounge around in bed. But alas......

Hope you feel better!
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

I haven't had normal cold in about two years. I always get a sinus infection but this time I think I have a cold and so far not as bad as usual. Hopefully, I will break the pattern. I have been spraying zinc spray non-stop at the back of my throat and taking more proboost. Also, I find nasal salt washed (although gross) very helpful in preventing infection.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Ocassionaly, I'll get a normal cold. I had not had one for 2 years, when I got one last winter that ended up turning into a bad case of bronchitis and asthma.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Over four yrs for a cold and caught first flu in that long just last spring. But, change of season, 3rd move in a year, fiance caught one (again), and we moved to a damp basement that had been deserted for years. I guess I couldn't quite beat those odds.

What supplements do you take? The vitamins, probiotics, and herbals and antifungals I alternate on and on w/ seem to be a winning combo for me. They haven't licked FM, but have really improved my overall function.

Jeanne
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

This is interesting Kathi. When I catch an 'ordinary' cold from my husband, that's making him feel a bit poorly but able to keep going, it puts me in bed for two weeks feeling dreadful.
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

echinacea tincture every 3 hours and extra vitamin C and it keeps it at bay.

I get recurrent ear infections but last month I got a different kind, it was in my ear drum and I had to have course of antibiotics, hate taking them.

Try the echinacea as it really helps.

I hope you feel better soon.

love
    Rosie
  8. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I'm not sure what probiotics are? What are the various things you take and how do you alternate? I always feel run down and yucky so to feel good would be such a welcome change.

Thanks for all responses!
    Kathi