Do you ever get switched pain med brands?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Apr 21, 2007.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I just got a new bottle of my pain meds, and this is a different brand.
    Has anyone ever noticed that, or had any problems with using a different brand?
    Mine are generic anyway, but I really hate to switch to another one, not knowing how they are going to work.
    Thanks for any advise, Julie
  2. debhun

debhun New Member

Think you need to call your phar and ask if they changed co. They are to tell you when they do this. That way you know you are getting the right meds.

Deb
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, this happens to me frequently with different meds that I take.

I order most of my meds from our company's "mail-in" pharmacy.

Most are filled with the generic (I hate this, but have to live with it!).

Often, the pharmacy will change suppliers for their meds. They might have a contract with a certain company for a year, then when the contract is up, they bid that contract again, and whoever comes in at the lowest bid gets the contract for the next year. So, if it's a different company, their generic meds may look different, but are "supposed" to be the same. We, the patients, never know what we're getting!

If I don't think something is right about the med, I always call the pharmacy and question them.
  4. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

back when i was on darvocet the pharmacy switched on me, they have a pink one generic and a white one. the pink one always used to work better for me when darvocet helped anyway call your pharmacy and see if they can't give u the one you are used to. that's what i did. usually they are happy to comply
    irish
  5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks to all who replied. I took some of the new ones today. I dont think they are quite as strong, but I am going to give it another day to two and see how they work.
    As all of us knows, breaking the pain cycle is half the battle, and we cant play around with a guessing game with the pain meds.

thanks again, julie
  6. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I was taking Trammadol at the time and started to have side effects from it after taking it for two years. I thought it was because they changed the manufacturer so I went across the street and started getting them at another pharmacy but it didn't make any difference. I just became allergic to the drug itself and had to discontinue. This was a good topic to bring up.
  7. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

My pharmacy does this on occasion. They do put a sticky deal on the lid saying its different brand but same medication. For some its ok but the ones I dont like I let them know that next time I want what I had before cause
    this isnt working like the other one. They make a note of it and change it back when they can. sometimes they do change manufacturers and only use on but most pharmacies have a few different ones and if they are out of your regular then they substite it

Tam