do you feel contagious

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by auntcon, Aug 19, 2005.

1. auntcon

auntcon New Member

I don't know how I got chronic fatigue
    I know that my Epstien Barr titers were
    in the 40s at the time I was diagnoised

but they don't know if that's what causes the CFS

The Fibro was caused by an accident.

But there are so many things that we don't know
    I've tried to research but am convensed that we know
    as much as anyone

I do have a low grade fever most times

I certainly don't want to give this to anyone.

I'd like to volunteer to work with little ones
    but it makes me nervous to think i may unknowingly
    be contagious

we can't donate blood
    should be volunteer?
    what are your thoughts?
    Connie
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

sick as we do. I did give it to my beloved cat. He has all my symptoms, the first 5 mths I had him, he did not. He was ripe to catch someting becasue of several health blows in a row.

Nobody else I've known has ever gotten it. Stormy summed it up nicely. The bugs are always out there, but will lay dormant in most people.

You are right to question volunteering for infants, they don't have much of an immune system.

Jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]
  3. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Thanks for your great post!! I feel very contagious. I am so scared for my children. My children like to drink after me and my son loves to give me kisses on my mouth. I worry that he will catch what I have!
  4. ltarmand

ltarmand New Member

I am new to all of this. Yesterday my doctor told me that Epstein Bar level was 19 (should have been 30). My glutathiomine level was 14 (should have been 32.)She is suggesting some kind of injections. Am I contagious? I have 2 boys (2 & 5) who I kiss on all of the time. Can they catch this? I am a going to give this to them? Please someone explain more to me.
  5. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I do not believe we are contagious. I have been around people all my life and they have never "caught" my FM or CF. I think that is just plain silly. I do however believe it may be caused from some trauma in our lives. Atleast that is what my Chiropractor has told me and he has been studying it for years. So I hate to disagree, but I will.

Trish :)
  6. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Well, my ebv level was up, and do they always really causing CFS? Sorry but i was little confuse since i learned that almost everyone has their level going up, and some people gets ills, while other don't get ills. I think my ebv level went up due to mono when I was 16. But my other dr said that I have cfs, but other said no... And I dont think its congatious, is it??? Well, I just wonder cuz I know that mono can be congatious but ebv?? I'm still not so sure about that.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Considering that at least 85% of the population carries it, it would be safe to say it is, quite. The vast majority don't get sick from it, or only get a flulike illness which passes and they think they just had the flu. Sometimes, less often than that, someone will contract fullblown mono and they can be acutely ill for mths. that happened to my cousin, he's been fine for yrs since. Occasionally, someone has a reactivation of EBV, just like can happen w/ chicken pocks that later turns up as dreaded shingles, and they become chronically ill.

this is common knowledge dolled out from the most conservative medical sites. And I think even the CDC, who thought they might have found the cause of CFS from EBV, but it turned into a dead end. Because of the info. above, they knew it cound't always be causing CFS, except in rare cases where it seemed to be the underlying culprit.

So back to what Stormy said, the various stealth inf. that make us sick will always be floating around. And many healthy people carry them too, but don't get sick. So we can't worry about giving them to others. There is always someone w/ a cold/flu around and I hadn't had one in 4 yrs. I could eat, drink w/, kiss my bf, lick the face of someone w/ it (if I was so inclined, I wasn't) and I woulnd't get it.

Remember the SARS crisis in Canada? the govt. wasted no time in enforcing quarantine to snuff it out. They even made a movie about it, which is airing again soon (CTV i think).

Jeanne
  8. cbella

cbella New Member

I just had all the viral tests done $700 worth- thank goodness for insurance, and CMV and Parvo virus was very high. When I read about it, it makes me think we are contagious, at least until I take my antiviral drugs. I am around cancer patients who are immune depressed and I worry about being near them and possibly making them sick. That's the last thing I would want to do! Any other thoughts on this? cbel
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

I don't believe that the CFS or FMS are themselves contagious. It's just my belief, but I believe that the infections that may have triggered the CFS pff, they themselves are probably very contagious, but wouldn't cause CFS in the large majority of people that became infected with them.
    I believe that CFS is a specific response that only certain people's bodies have.

Lease
  10. auntcon

auntcon New Member

Thank You for all of your thoughts.

I think that common sence will be the best idea for now. washing hands, etc

our puppy -- just turned a year old--is the LAZIEST puppy/dog i've ever seen. either way i'm glad he doesn't bounce off the walls ;-D

My kiddos do eat/drink after me (heaven forbid they'd have to get their own--why does mom's always taste better? I know my mother's did)

They both are indoor active
    Jake wrestles, laura loves music etc.
    Due to older parents, own interests, interests directed by parents?

thank God He gave us them and the interests they have ;-)

I think I'll pass on working everyday with kiddos under 3.
    I used to volunteer reading to elementary classes... might go that route again. As I'm up to it.