do you feel "guilty" when you react badly to a food or medicine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

When I have a bad reaction to a pill, I feel like I'M being bad.

I feel like I'm just being difficult or naughty, like a fussy child who won't eat their vegetables. I also start to feel sorry for my doctors and feel that I'm jst giving them a hard time or making it up somehow.

And I have trouble remembering that I AM cooperative, and that it's not a matter of personal choice whether or not a med or food is okay.

Do you take it personally when a pill doesn't work out?

When you have a bad reaction to something and have to stop taking it, do you beat yourself up and think you're giving the DOCTOR a hard in time treating you? Do you have trouble remembering that this whole illness situation and all the symptoms that come with it are NOT YOUR FAULT, and that it's not something you're doing on purpose just to be hard to please?

If so, write into this thread - and join the Guilty Party. ;)
    (((I'm so SORRY!!!!!))) lol Shannon
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i would love that magic pill....give it to m..

jodie
  3. Shannonsparkles

So it's NOT my fault there was hidden MSG in my vitamins???

It does make me mad all the stuff that I pay for and then it doesn't do anything or makes me sicker. I have several hundred dollars worth of partly-used pill bottled under my bed because they made me too ill. I'm sensitive to most things I try.

It's so hard to think in a balanced way when I'm so sick and comming off something that really messes with my head. :(

((hugs)) & hoping for more replies, Shannon
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

--I'm not sure if it's Rio Grande or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon--John Wayne says, in that gruff old voice of his, "Never say you're sorry."

But you know what: I confess to feeling this way too, at times. I tried Zoloft; I felt worse. I tried antibiotics; I felt worse. In fact, I was having difficulties breating when I took them.
    And I actually apologized to my doctor that my body wasn't tolerating these well.

What kind of a rugged western individualist am I?

No more "sorries" for me!

Kholmes
  5. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

If anything I feel frustrated when something doesn't make me feel better. I also feel like the more time I spend trying to figure this disease out (FM) and come prepared to my Dr. visits, the more confused and frustrated I feel because there are no ultimate treatments and no real answers.

I am also sensitive to certain medications - primarily antidepressents and anything with hormones. I no longer accept any medications from any doctor except my GP (I see him for my FM). He takes my concerns seriously about side effects and doesn't make me feel bad/guilty if I tell him something isn't working or helping me.

Something as common as hormonal birth control pills will send me directly into a bad flare. The last gyno I saw insisted that I would be fine and totally dismissed my concerns and ignored the fact I had FM. I paid for my mistake for 3 months.

None of my relatives suggest any treatments for me, and some don't even know I have it, I tend to not talk about it unless they bring it up. The only person that has a strong opinion about my health care is my boyfriend's mom.

She and her husband are hardcore raw foods people, and according to her I'd be cured if I ate like they do. I won't be telling her about anything I take for FM anymore because I don't enjoy getting the looks or the lectures that I'm killing myself with medications. Once she told me that I just needed to drink more water and that would cure me.
  6. Shannonsparkles

I AM tired of feeling sorry! Thanks for the good advice and for sharing your feelings. And thanks for the pep talk Prickles. :)
  7. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

the thing that gets to me is when I have to call the doc and tell him something else isn't working, or worse, is having an adverse effect.

I recently had to go off some meds and we are slowly putting me back on them. When he asked me to remind him how many I was taking now, and I told him 1, then 2, then 1...he said "oh, yeah, now I remember, we're going to grow old together" I got a kick out of that. Hopefully we'll get the combination right eventually!

8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Good post. My favorite and I hear it every time is....none of my other patients have that reaction. I even hear that from doctors who deal mainly with CFIDS/FM patients.

I just laugh now because I know they are going to say, "you are the only one with that reaction". Then I come to this board or the internet drug site and read about that as a reaction.

I now tell doctors to give me a pediatric dose to start and then I cut that in half.
  9. place

place New Member

when I eat a food that are bad for me like corn, I will litrally get depressed for half an hour after I eat it. Soy will give me a fog that would impair my driving skills. The food effects me emotionally and physically. At least I know this know, and tell myself just wait an hour and this will pass and it alway does!
  10. Shannonsparkles

Thanks for the laugh. I get that reaction too! "What? No, it couldn't POSSIBLY be doing THAT!" Makes me feel like I'm from outer space or making it all up just to be fussy. But then I go on the internet too, and there it is. Oh, maybe it's in the fine print at the bottom of the page, but you can be sure that it has to really happen to a LOT of people for the company to mention it!

Place, glad you are so self-aware. I'm sure we'd be taking a lot heavier stuff if we didn't know to watch ourselves this way. Now if only they could get the lactose, lectin, wheat, sugar, soy, dyes, etc. OUT of our meds!

((( ))) Shannon
  11. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Shannon,
    I used to feel guilty and ashamed - as if I were pretending. But, now that I've eliminated all those people who don't believe me,and who used to accuse me and put me down, from my life, those feelings don't occur any more. Now I just get a frustrated, and go on to the next thing.

Take care,
    Terry