Do you feel like your internal thermostat has gone haywire??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarolynAnne, Aug 3, 2006.

1. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

I have been hot then cold, hot then cold, cold then hot. At any given time, I can be wearing a jacket when its 98 degrees out - or short sleves when its 60. My co-workers look at me and shake their heads.

Even with the a/c and icepack pillow - I could not get my body temp down yesterday. My temp was 102 - no aches or pains and I was sweating even after a cool bath. I slept most of yesterday away (called out of work). The only symptom I had was being tired. This morning I woke up - still have a fever, but feeling better.

Just curious if anyone else has this ...

2. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Anyone with cfids has an autonomic nervous system dysfunction. This system controls your body temp plus a lot of other things.

When I first became ill with CFIDS I had a horrible time with this same problem. For the first 5 years, I couldn't even wear a coat in the winter, and it gets very cold here in Indiana.

At times when I had chills and thought I might have a fever, I'd take my tempature, and it would be way low.

I know it's miserble. Terrible sweats then chills. After having this DD for 7 1/2 years now, it's not as bad for me as it was, but if I over do, or let myself suffer to much stress, it starts getting worse again.

Barb
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Oh yeah, big time. Sometimes I feel like my skin is on fire and even my clothes hurt.
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Just don't let the fever go on too long unchecked. Hopefully it was just a passing bug, and it will go away. A fever of 102 is NOT the "low grade" fever FM/CFSers often complain about, shouldn't usually be your only symptom, and shouldn't go on for more than a week. If it does, see your doctor.

I had a 102 fever for two weeks, no other symptoms, and it turned out to be very serious. I'm hoping that since you say you feel better today, your fever will be gone by tomorrow & you'll be fine. But be sure to see a doc if it persists.

Hugs,
    Pam

5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've had numerous great results from them. You can buy them online, they are hard to get in healthstores in Canada now though.

I used to get hot then cold and get terrible chills several times a day. I couldn't take winters at all, now I can take the coldest CANADIAN winter day and still take a walk. My temp has come up to normal, and do I ever feel the difference.

jeanne
  6. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

Maintaining body temperature has been one of the biggest distresses I have had. Sweats, soaked clothes, bedding...showering to combat the ice cold chills and change into clean clothes to have it cycle again over and over.

I must share with you what has strangely helped me substantially. I began taking A Doctors Formula "nature's code" vitamins on the off chance it might help. *it's a daily packet of of 6 different vitamins. Included is CoQ10 that I believe is the main reason for my relief. I can't explain it other than when it's hot I still get hot easily but nothing like the sweat cycles I kept having over 2 yrs before starting Nature's Code.

I can't say they have cured me of ME/CFIDS/FIBRO (wish I could)but at least I am more comfortable With my weakness and hours spent in bed, I am thankful for what little relief I can get of any of the symptoms we suffer as my lack of energy makes it hard to keep up with frequent bed changes, clothes and showering that the "sweats" caused. (I have not noticed any relief of other symptoms at all with Naturer's Code)

My hope is that it might help someone else too. Our systems and even symptoms within this illness are different but it doesn't hurt to try.

God Bless,
    Cynthia/Dutchie
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Although I can't say I've ever needed a jacket at 98 degrees. Mostly, I get hot and can't get cool or get cold and can't get warm. I do get fevers too.
  8. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Boy can I relate to this one, I can be okay one minute then passing out nearly with sweats the next, then just as soon as I've broke out in a sweat I start shivering and more or less go like I've gone into shock, freezing and trembling.

It's one of the more annoying things I find as you don't know when it's going to happen.
  9. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Yup, I definitely feel like my body is all out of whack. It gets really bad at times. Either I have the chills or I feel so hot that my skin feels like it's burning.

Sometimes when I have the chills and feel achy I'll take my temp, and I usually have a low-grade fever...anywhere from 99.5 to 100 degrees. Other times, I'll take my temperature and it'll actually be below normal. Sometimes I'll even run a low-grade fever without any symptoms at all.

It's so weird how this all works.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  10. kjfms

kjfms Member

is completely wacky mine is normally low (96.5-97.2) or so due to thyroid disease.

It has become increasingly worse with this pituitary tumor the heat and cold intolerance is soooo much worse or I guess it could be the FMS I am just not sure ...sigh :(

Thanks,

Karen
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Just wanted to reiterate that low grade fevers are common with FM/CFS, also lower than average temps (like many here describe) but that a fever of 102 is NOT a low-grade fever, and not something to let drag for more than a week or two without seeing a doctor.

Hopefully, though, you are much better by now & even able to go out and enjoy life (unless you live where all the heat is!)

Hugs,
    Pam
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

every nmonth for 10 days and of course now that I relapsed it is staying around 99.6. I feel awful and of course I can't sleep! agh!

My temps are my worst symptom then sleep disturbances then fatigue
  13. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

Its nice to know that I am not alone on this.

I did go to the doctor and she was not able to find anything. She told me that if it should go higher or I feel ill to call her.

After the doctors, I made the mistake of going out with friends. I learned a HUGE lesson on Friday - always drive yourself. I was stuck/friends did not want to leave the club and have paid for it all weekend in bed.

With all the rest this weekend, I am happy to report my fever is gone - yet I am typing wearing a jacket. My co-workers think I am crazy since it's 87 degrees out. :)

Hugs.
    Carolyn