Do you feel shut down,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sandyz, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Do you feel like your emotionally shut down alot. I sure feel that way much of the time. I also don`t feel like talking much at all. I suppose alot of its is depression too but it worries me sometime how I am getting more and more withdrawn.
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i feel that way a lot. it's hard to be in the middle of people that are healthy and full of life, when you feel like your about to die.
    and for me it's more depressing to see what my life could have been through others.i go thru periods of time where i handle it better, but sometimes i just can't handle it.

so i withdrawl a bit for a while till i feel a little less negative and sorry for me.i think this disease would depress anybody!

3. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Shutting down like you're describing is a really common reaction to feeling overwhelmed and depressed. It's like our minds decide "okay, this is too much for me." and we can feel numb and detached from the world around us. It starts as a sort of protective mechanism, but it can make things more challenging for you if you start to shut out the things and people that help bring you hope and joy and anything that helps you cope with your health issues.

It might help to write out how you're feeling and really try to vent it out fully ... sometimes I journal like that and I find that I had a deeper feeling that was going on (related to feeling sick of in pain) that I had been burying down deep and it was causing me to feel more shut down.

Sometimes we go through hibernation phases (especially more common amongst the people I know in the winter!) where we feel like just buckling down and being with ourselves. As long as we don't stay stuck there for too long and shut out things that are helpful, those phases can help us honor how crappy we feel, give it some space (so we aren't shoving it down and burying it) and then hopefully, we can get up and walk out of it for awhile.

So sorry you're feeling like this. I hope getting on here and talking with folks is helping.
  4. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

I have shut down for years, and when I go around people I knew they don't have a clue what this is like, and more importanly, they really don't want to know. This is very difficult.

And I have found that some people like to make you a target, as well.
  5. Katherine50

Katherine50 New Member

I'm feeling so shut down that I think I'll check into the hospital. Major depressive disorder is something others can understand and accept. I'm so depressed because I have to quit working and live off nothing again, move in with my parents, and keep fighting my disability case. I hope a hospitalization will help my case. Besides, my pain is not well controlled.

THey should call this the Clueless Disease Syndrome to describe those around us!

My sympathies to you all.

6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Thanks for your responses!:) I guess I am not alone on this. I am on clonazapam that can do that somewhat but it shouldn`t be this much. I have so much going on, I am just wore out from ting to deal with it all. In addition to the Fm and CFS, I have intersistial cystis and I recently found out I have a syrinx (which is a hole in the spine that can cause lots of problems). I should find a good counseler to help me deal with all this. Also I am going to try the journaling. Can you check yourself in the hospitol and be covered by insurance?? Might be what I need too at this point!