Do you feel you dont breathe right falling asleep? Or at all

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by OptimusUndead, Apr 5, 2006.

1. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

I'm just curious to everyone's breathing. I notice when i'm having trouble falling asleep, it doesn't feel like i'm taking deep breathes, or my body is doing "awake" breathing. I mean your heart rate and breathing change as you fall asleep, and i always feel like i can't let my breath go and just let my body take over in breathing deeper and falling asleep. Instead if i can't sleep i keep thinking about my breathing, and listen to my heart rate. I've smoked for a while and i'm trying to quit, but i'm assuming thats only the smallest part of the problem, since i started smoking after i got sick. I really dont know anymore. I have more ideas about it, but i'ma wait for responses.

p.s for the record i know there's been some topics on this, but the "falling asleep" part interests me the most.

:edit: when sleeping pills knock me out i have really dont have trouble with it, because i just pass out.[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  2. darude

darude New Member

As I fall asleep I wake up with a noise is my chest and a jolt to the chest also. REally weird. I have apnea but this is different to that.
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Oh, yes! This is one of my worst problems...it happens when I take naps, becuz, like you, meds knock me out at bedtime....well, nitetime bedtime....well, at 3 a.m.!!!

I can sometimes stop it by deep breathing,inhaling slowly thru nose, but deeply, and blowing hard out through pursed lips.

It seems to relax my lungs and chest wall muscles enuf to help me deeply relax into a better sleep mode.

Also, sometimes Xanax gives me one of these clonus-type "jerks" like you describe...do you take a med that might cause clonus?

This is such a disturbing thing when it happens..scares one to death!

Best thing is, I've had these for over 10 years, and I'm not dead yet LOL!

Hugs,
    findmind
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

When I am hurtng real bad and feel sick my breathing gets very shallow.especially when I am resting or sleeping.
  5. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

Oh, yes! This is one of my worst problems...it happens when I take naps, becuz, like you, meds knock me out at bedtime....well, nitetime bedtime....well, at 3 a.m.!!!

YES!! this is the time during the day where i notice it the most. I can't even fall asleep for a nap anymore. I'll get extremely tired and NEED a nap, but i just roll for a few hours, then get up feeling more exhausted than when i tried laying down. Its awful really.

I just tried going back to sleep now, and it feels like my throat closes up when i try to relax into more of a "sleep breathing". Its really odd.

6. gwanny54

gwanny54 New Member

Do you feel that this breathing thing is just the drugs or could it be something else. I have had the feeling of breathlessness and I am really not on any narcotics that make me drowsy.
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

Hi again....

I think we all have breathing problems of many sorts, and of course this causes blood to "jump around" in our chests!

I've found that if I practice deep breathing all day, esp. when I'm here, typing, I do better when I go for a nap. However, I do take a Xanax JUST before laying down...that way, it seems to relax my chest muscles and help me breathe more smoothly.

All these meds, ads and Xanax can also cause these problems....but for the most part, Xanax helps me do this.

Later...

findmind