Do you find sitting difficult?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I've had FMS for almost 20 years, and have always said that I do better if I keep moving rather than sit for long periods. But all of a sudden even sitting for short periods has become a major problem.

It began with pain in my right hip, which I at first attributed to sleeping on my right side part of the time. But then I discovered that contoured seats can cause or aggravate hip pain, and in fact sitting on my contoured desk chair made my hip pain worse than anything.

I've been experimenting with various cushions and positions, but I can't get comfortable. The pain is not only increasing, but migrating. When I go to bed at night I have trouble getting to sleep because my hip, right lower back, right thigh, and right knee hurt.

What is going on here?? Is this part of fibromyalgia? I must say it feels like it is, but I've never had quite so much joint pain.

It's better if I move around during the day, but too much of that isn't good either. And I do need to sit at my desk part of every day. It's how I earn money.

Help!

Suze

2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Yes, sitting, but mostly laying down. That's when my muscles relax & My RLS kicks in.

I work f.t. so I move around all the time, but when I get home I ache & I've had it..that's when most of my pain kicks my booty.

pals,
    fun
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Yes, I do have pain when sitting. I thought it was from the two degenerative discs and facets in my lower back in my case.

I do have pain in my hips, buttocks and leg (right side is always worse) that I attribute to the fibromyalgia.

sleeping with a pillow under (or between if I'm on myside) my knees helps. Sometimes the pain is so bad I can't lay on my side. Can't sleep on my stomach either.

I work full time and I've yet to find anything to do away with the pain. I've tried several different chairs to no avail. Some days are worse than others.
  4. lavender14

lavender14 New Member

suze,

I have had difficulty sitting for16 yrs. also pain in hips(bursitis) and buttox ( bursitis, but it is called ishial tuberosity)sp? and my lower back real bad,

I attribute this to fms. continue experimenting with cushions and pads till you are comfortable.

do you go to a pain clinic?

then can help too.

jennie
  5. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi Suze,

I have the exact same symptoms as you described! I was at my ortho doctor today concerning my shoulders and I told him about the back, hip pain, etc. He did some kind of stretching (like chiopractic) and then gave me a shot of cortisone in the muscle of my lower back. That was around 6 hours ago and the pain is almost totally gone. I didn't think to ask him if it was from the fibro though. It may well have been as he treated the muscle in order to get rid of it. The pain starts in my lower back on the right side, down into my right thigh. I didn't notice the pain in the knee though.

God Bless,
    Bob
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have a wedge pillow for sitting up in bed and I have a recliner chaise lounge for sitting when I am in the living room. If I sit on any normal/computer chair I get major pain. It took awhile to find the proper positions for me.

The wedge pillow helps greatly though.

Because of this sitting problem I had to purchase a laptop so I could take my computer where I needed to sit.
  7. Suze

Suze New Member

Thanks, guys! Bob, I wish I could take cortisone, but I don't dare try it again. I got a shot in each knee for an unrelated problem a few years ago, and had a wicked reaction. My knees were intensely painful for hours afterward, and then the pain moved up to my hips. I worried where it would go next, but fortunately it subsided. Didn't do a thing for my knees, either.

Dragon, I ordered a wedge pillow and am going to have to look for a new desk chair. Wait'll I tell my son...he's seen me go through I-don't-know-how-many chairs in the past few years!

Suze
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

are hard on me. Sometimes I just have to lay down cause I don't feel like sitting up and I sure don't feel like standing.

Kriket