do you find yourself keeping your home dark?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMhurts, Mar 6, 2006.

1. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

Ever since I've had fibro.17 years of it. I've noticed I couldn't stand bright lights. I keep my home so dark, just a lamp or two comes on in the evening. I heard kids say to mine why does your Mom keep your house so dark?
    My kids always explain that the light bothers me.
    Or they just say we're keeping the light bill down.
    I have to remind myself when we have company to turn lights on.
    Its just the dark rooms seem to be a comfort.
    I can't sleep in my room at night with even a nite light glarring , even the light from the clock bothers me.
    Light bothers my eyes and even gives me head aches.
    Just thought I'd ask...
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

until my husband goes to bed, then I have to start turning some off so he can sleep.

I'm not bothered by the lights, though, unless I have a migraine.

I have nightlights in every room of the house. I sleep with my TV on all night--which gives out bright light in the middle of the night.

Have you had your eyes tested recently? When you did, did you mention your extreme sensitivity to light?

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Hi, fmhurts,
    Yes, the lights in the house bother me so I keep light to a minimum. I have CFS and I hate flourescent lighting in stores and in doctors' offices as well. I don't like the news stories where something happened at night and the police car blue lights are flashing for the whole duration of the story and I even wear sunglasses at night when my roommate is driving us somewhere as the headlights are unbearable from other cars. People think it's weird, but who cares?
    harrysmom
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I love lil lamps and nightlights...Soft lighting...

My hubby needs BRIGHT overhead lighting to do anything...he has neuro condition and requires bright lighting to be able to focus...

It's fun at nite when I go storming around the house turning off the BIG lights and turning on the lil ones...

It took me until recently to realize that I wasn't a cranky crab, I was just very sensitive to lighting...

I no longer am able to be in a car at nite, let alone drive, the headlights destroy my focusing...I actually HAVE to look directly at the oncoming lights, I know not to cause it makes me disoriented, but my brain tells my eyes to look...Sounds crazy, but that's part of the FMS for me.

My recent visit to a wonderful eye doc who understands and sees many with FMS/CF says it's neurological...My neurosurgeon said he did his job when he did my neck surgery and can't help me...The bright light issue came after my neck injury and wasn't resolved after surgery...Just one more thing I have to learn to live with.

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia

5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and wear prescription sunglasses inside.It calms me right down.Linda
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

fmhurts:
    I keep my home dark all day and will only light a light at night: just one. First of all, it does seem to soothe me and secondly: I save money on electric. No,you are not the only one.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  7. crumpton

crumpton New Member

I have to have lights! I can't stand everything dark. I open the shades to let the sunshine in.

Now one thing that does bother me are the noises that my lightbulbs make. You know the long tube kind. They DRIVE ME NUTS. No one else can hear them but me. SOmetimes it is worse than others.
  8. mamabear2157

mamabear2157 New Member

Hello fmhurts!!

Yes the light bothers me too. My kids have always been on my case about the lighting in the house. They like it bright, and I like it dim. I still live with my youngest daughter (although I am looking for a place of my own)and her boyfriend. They like a lot of light. Any light in my room at night when I am trying to sleep really bothers me. I need dark, dark, dark!!

I wear sunglasses all the time during the day, whether the sun is out or not. At night, I don't like to drive as the lights from the oncoming cars really bothers me. I am also diabetic, and the lights at night really bother me.

The flashing lights of emergency vehicles is especially bothersome. They seem worse at night, but even during the day can bother me.

I've had my eyes checked, and there is nothing wrong with them. Just light sensitive I guess.

Gentle hugs,

Mary Ellen
  9. livin4him

livin4him New Member

I changed all of my bulbs everywhere to Phillips daylight bulbs. They have the blue light effect, that makes them more like the light from the sun and it makes all the difference for me. I don't like direct overhead lights though, I only use lamps.

It definitely helps to ward off headaches.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]
  10. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have trouble with bright lights & am currently in my bedroom (where my computer is,) with the heavy curtains drawn.
    I prefer this to any bright light. Most days I force myself to open the curtains & let light in.
    The kitchen is always reasonably bright, but not alot of light can get into our loungeroom even through the windows, so that room stays pretty dark too.
    The kids bedrooms & playroom are extremely bright. Much to bright for me anyways LOL.

Lisa
  11. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

for a long time. If I am outside I must wear good shades. I can not tolerate fluorescent lights. I like natural light in my home but at night we keep the lights low. If I have a headache I cannot tolerate any light. Flickering lights give me a headache. When I scroll on the computer, I have to look away from the screen or lower the lap top so that I don't see the movement. Also flickering lights(especially at Christmas) make me sick. The new type of car lights also make me sick.
  12. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Even when I was a little kid I preferred to climb into a kitchen cabinet with a flashlight to read. Nobody could bother me.

Now I find that the headlights driving at night really bother me (yes, I do supplement the Vit. A - to no avail)

When I sleep I must have TOTAL darkness. If the door to my bedroom is open too far to the hallway it drives me nuts. I had to get rid of an alarm clock that had a blue display - too much light and I put duct tape over the light on one of my cable boxes because it was too bright. I use a sleep mask and/or plunk a pillow on top of my head when I nap.

Being newly dx'd, I just read about the hyperarousability that comes with FMS but it now makes sense to me. Sometimes I can't even stand being touched at the end of a long day - not because it causes pain, but because I just can't take it - I'm too overloaded.
  13. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

Yes, I do the same thing.

I remember when my kids were small I did open the shades and drapes everyday. Loved the sun coming in. I f I have a great day I can open everything up. I sure do suck up those days.

Granny
  14. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have had headaches for years so my house is always dark. my husband says it's like living in a cave. but bright lights makke the headaches and now muscle cramps worse. so i'll continue to live in a cavve.
    rachel
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it's fun at night when i just turn off a light and need to find the door to the bathroom or bacd out to antoher room.. i have to feel my way out to find the door..i have astigmatism...so i am nearly almost like blind for a few seconds...this is even with 20/20 vision.i'll admit now i have bifocals for reading..and glasses for night time driving...

but i think i keep it dark in here because i am depressed or i keep it dark because of migraines or headaches as well..

jodie
  16. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I like to keep the house dark too.

I have one beautiful lamp I got for christmas and then I also have an angel lamp and both of them give out very little light and that is what I have on at night and during the day I don't have any lights on but I am generally home alone during the day.

The one bad thing about this is I will go in the kitchen and turn out lights and I also will turn out the dinning room lights, well my son is very afraid of the dark, he has a very active imagination and that makes it worse.
    So he carries a flashlight at night so he won't be scared.

So don't feel bad you are not alone, Pamela
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

nOT THE LIGHT. tHAT GLARING LIGHT ESP. FLURESCENT IS BAD.

jUST LATELY, THE spiral energy saving light bulbs came out with a daylight bulb for about $12 for three or so(they save money and last years) and the light they shed is like very soft daylight. I would try using these in your main rooms. Sunlight is a bother and lights too and I am just fine with these lights. Funny to get used to type of light as it seems no bulb is actually on.

Do try it.

Love Anne C