Do you get allergy shots? Have allergies??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Mar 19, 2006.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

I have allergies and get 2 allergy shots every 2 weeks. I got them weekly for a year or so and now every 2, hopefully every 3 weeks soon.

I am curious as to how many FM sufferers also have allergies and get shots.

I also take allegra 180 daily.

thanks

Feel better all!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2006]
  2. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hello!

I have had allergies my whole life. As a little child, I had eczema. As I got older I became allergic to other things and had reactions more in my sinuses than on my skin. My skin is still fair and very sensitive.

I have been taking allergy shots for 17 1/2 years. I am highly allergic to dust mites (it has taken a LONG time) for the doctor to increase the antibodies from that shot. I also get a shot in my other arm for tree pollens and mold spores. Because DUST mites live everywhere all year round, I have allergies all year round. I am also allergic to cats.

My ENT doctor insisted after my first nasal polypectomy (removal of nasal polyps) that I take allergy shots to minimize the chances of the polyps growing back. They have grown back a few times, even though I take shots and use all kinds of nasal sprays too.

I was NOT diagnosed with fibromyalgia until the spring of 2004.

BTW, I get my shots every 3 weeks and have been at the same 3 week interval schedule for many years. I also use special pillow, mattress and box spring protectors on my bedding.

Good Luck.
  3. meowee

meowee New Member

Yes, it took awhile but I do feel the allergy shots are helping me now. I also have flonase and avastin nasal spray, and patanol for my eyes. I am allergic to molds, cats, dust mites, pollen....etc. I have been most of my adult life. I do believe it comes along with FM.

Thanks for you responses.

Best of Luck to all.
  4. klccag

klccag New Member

I am pretty sure allergy shots contain mercury preservative. So the good they are doing is counteracted by the harm of mercury in them.
  5. meowee

meowee New Member

I have wondered that sometimes myself.
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

and not mercury that I know of. My environmental doc has an allergy clinic that is much better than the conventional allergist. I'm sure she wouldn't allow mercury in her serums. Though some people can be allergic to phenols though, they are a big preservative in textiles and chemically sensitive often have that as one of thier biggies along w/ formaldahyde.

I have a phenol serum from my clinic that I take sublingual. It's invaluable to take out when I go shopping or visiting, helps w/ the myriad perfume allergies I have, but oddly, I don't have a problem w/ the shots I take.

I do my own shots for mould and pollens at home. I do mine as often as needed, which can be every day to every few weeks, depending on the time of year.

Most of my serums have been increased, so my tolerance to the allergens has increased. But beware of an allergen you are around too much. I spent a summer in a basement apt. that was one block from the Ottawa River (one mother big river) and the mustiness did me in, my tolerance to moulds went down and so did my serum level. I too find it takes me years to increase my tolerance to allergens. I'm sure this is because I'm very chemically sensitive and my total allergen load is off the charts all year.

Jeanne
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I had only an allergy to seafood as a child but as I got older I developed a lot of other allergies. I took shots for a few years and they seemed to help as I am not as bad as I used to be. I also took Flonase which helped a lot.
    Jeanne is correct that allergy shots contain phenol and not mercury.
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

My allergiest allows me to give myself the shots, big time and travel saver here.

The cocktail consists drawing from vials for dust-dust mites, mold, spring pollens, fall pollens, dog, cat, and there is one other I am forgetting.

It helps a lot, I am on Singulair to help with control of sinus infections.

Big dietary constraints, if I stray from the diet, my flu-like symtoms really got into high gear.

Did not develop allergies until I was 30 years old.

Fondly June
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I've had allergies since I was a child, but the shots are really helping. I have not had even a cold all winter, I believe due to the shots helping my immunity (by not being sick!).
  10. meowee

meowee New Member

I am relieved about the mercury. I didn't think it was in the allergy shots. I know it is in some old dental fillings but wasn't sure about allergy serum.

many thanks
  11. spmary

spmary New Member

Oh, yes,,,I have allergies ever since I got cfids/fm. Allergc to everything outdoors and dust mites, dogs and cats. Shrimp and bananas (two of my favorities). Had shots for years than Doc. stopped coming to town, so I'm trying to do with otc meds. Not too bad. Maybe my attention is on other ailments now. Had a stroke last Nov. and had pt so I'm learning to walk again. Doing pretty good too. Just getting tired of dealing with all this. Think the husband is too although he doesn't complain. He needs some life of his own so we have help 2 days a week so he can get out some to visit friends etc.
    Oh, and loud noise bothers me a great deal. Good luck to all stay well! Mary
  12. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Right now I take Reactine in the morning, Benadryl at night, and Nasonex throughout the day.

Those are my winter doses. lol

Once Spring hits, I take 2 or 3 Reactines, 2 Benadryl and still the Nasonex.

I had allergy shots before, and I was getting 2 shots a week. I went into anaphylactic shock more then once, and was taken to the hospital almost every week that I had a shot.

My allergist believed if I stuck it out, things would start getting better - but they always got worse.

At the time of my last shot, I also developed a severe lung infection, and was having uncontrollable problems with my asthma.

Thats when all of a sudden everything HURT. 3 months later, I was dx with FM.

Needless to say, I'll never get the shots again.

~Amanda
  13. kch64

kch64 New Member

I took shots for 6 years in my twenties. It takes time to build up, but they helped me very much.

K.
  14. espayton

espayton New Member

I started getting 4 shots a week after we had run through all the options of what could be making me sick. I got through a whole year of them but decided to stop as they were'nt doing anything but making me sicker :p
  15. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

my whole life. I was always sick as a child. I got 8 allergy shots a wk for 8 yrs and finally quit when they said I would never get to maintanence. Now I take 6 antihistamines a day. My dr says anyone else would be dead, but its the only way to keep from being sick all of the time. I wouldnt reccommend it to anyone but I dont get as sick anymore. My problem is that if my nose starts running and the throat gets sore, nomatter if it is viral or allergans, the next day, it goes into infection and I can get really sick very fast without antibiotics.

Suzette
  16. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have always had allergies, and took zyrtec occasionally.

Recently I decided maybe I have food allergies. I have a lot of stomach problems and my theory was if I knew what I was allergic to, I could eliminate it from my diet and feel better.

I went to an allergist and no food allergies but everything else was off the chart! He thinks I was just so used to having them, I didn't realize just how bad they were. I take zyrtec and use a nasal spray (at the moment, i can't think of the name!) daily. He said I may have to take allergy shots. He says I will feel better when I get my allergies under control.

I'm allergic to mold, dust, pollen and all kinds of leaves and grasses and trees.

I got the dust mite covers for my bed and pillows and wash my bedding in hot water weekly. That does seem to have helped.

17. susangeorgia

susangeorgia Member