Do you get HARD muscle when in pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AbbeyMae, Aug 20, 2006.

1. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

When my fibro attacks a muscle/group, they become real hard. I don't exercise like I would like to, because the pain gets worse.

Presently, my pain will not leave my upper front thighs. I usually do not have the pain localized in one area for so long.

I have not been able to do my normal grocery shopping, AGAIN. I am in bed alot, using topicals, heating pad, and taking my Dilaudid 4mg four times a day. I lay with my legs stretched out for the most part.

My muscle in both thighs are very hard, as if I was working out in a gym. This has been doing this to me from the beginning. For some reason, my thighs mostly and my feet pain will not give me a break.

It is nice that my hands have not been hurting as usual, but now it is hard to get out because of my legs and feet.

I have pain in my neck, shoulders, and upper arms now and then. But these thighs are not getting a break and the muscle is hard.

My roommate felt my thigh muscle and says he is so surprised since I do not walk alot or work out. He understands a little better of why I do not want to and can't walk alot. When we went to SuperWalmart last Sunday, I was in more pain.

Two nights this week, I have missed sleep because of pain in my thighs and feet. I take baths w/ Epsom salts and usually it gives me a brief relief but that has not worked either.

Also I got a different generic brand of Klonopin this last refill. I got TEVA brand instead of Watson. Also I find myself building a tolerance to all my meds. They are just pooping out on me.

Anyway does anybody have their muscles getting real hard on them. I am making an Appt. w/ my doc, calling on Monday. I would appreciate any feedback because I doubt if he knows.

As it is I am going to have a difficult time with him just to alternate my meds. I don't want them increased and I am not asking for that,(he never would).

Love and Hugs,

AbbeyMae
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I was a little plump, but my muscles, all over my body, were HARD, LIKE A BODY BUILDERS.

The massage therapist I used at the time WAS AMAZED.

She had a few clients who were body builders, and she said they were no firmer than my legs, back, and arms.

I have found, that after having my neck facet injections, my arm muscles, and triggers have relaxed.
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear AbbeyMae:

My muscles go into spams, where they lock, rock hard. I actually had a 6 month problem where my right leg would lock and get so hard that it would end up against my chest, and over my LEFT leg. I had to have some nerves in my groin frozen, and it took a long time, with lots of p/t and walking to get the muscles to remain unlocked.

Muscle spasms are supposed to be our bodies way of protecting us against further injury. Sometimes the muscles just lock up for no reason. They actually "forget" how to release. Sometimes massage can work to untangle them, but sometimes it takes time and gentle force applied to the area to get them to relax.

You might have some luck with muscle relaxers. Not sure if klonopin is the best one or not. I have tried soma (which worked well for a number of years), and I am now on flexeril.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  4. amy24co

amy24co New Member

Hi there, your topic hit a note with me because I have a roomate who's having simiar problems. she hasnt been diagnosed with FM yet, but I think she will be. I was diagnosed a year ago and I know the signs. she has her left thigh and left shin area that is swollen and hard. Wierd. And very tender to the touch. Is your painful? hers bothers her mostly at night.
    Amy
  5. IEMom

IEMom New Member

Yes, when I am in pain my muscles get rock hard. The only way to relax them is to take a muscle relaxant or get massaged for hours.

Before my husband got arthritis in his hands, he would massage me for as long as an hour. Sometimes the muscle would loosen up, sometimes it wouldn't. Really the only practical solution was a relaxer.

Soma worked great for me. In as little as 30 minutes, I literally felt the muscles unravel. It is an incredible relief when you feel that. Thank God for these meds!
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

Yes. I think that is a big part of this dd. That hard feeling is when your muscles are contracted- or in a spasm. The only way I can get mine out are by massage. I will pick up the phone in a instant and call a massage therapist when I start getting that hard muscle feeling. Massage is the only way to get it out for me.

Kriket
  7. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

Abbey, do you still need a Dr. here in Tucson?

Took me 26 doctors to find the ones I have. Happy to share with you. You can call me Sunday Night 9/10 at 325-7301.
    I am on a computer at work, don't have a home one. I live in mid-town.
  8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I've had one in the back of my neck for at least four months. I started getting more of them in my neck and shoulders. Then my BP started going up again. When I changed the air filter in my air purifier they got a lot better. Perfume and certain other chemicals wreck havoc on my autonomic nervous system. Try using fragrance free products, and not the ones that have a masking scent. Toluene is in a lot of stuff. It is one of the main culprits that harm your central nervous system and cause muscle spasms.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]