Do you get overwhelmed easily?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I've been wonder if I am the only one. I've always been sensitive. I'm sensitive because I'm a perfectionist, but I also pick up on others feelings and find they can change my mood.

But, besides all of that, do you every find that there are things that never use to bother you and now it's enough to push you over the edge.

I just feel constantly overwhelmed lately. Finances, health, trying to work while in pain and fatigued, pain,... just about everything lately.

Like most of us, financial issues are a horrible stressor. My wish is too meet a very rich and caring man. I hate even saying that since I've always been so independent.

Anyway, I was just wondering if all of you get so overwhelmed with just life now too.

Tigger
  2. puggymom

puggymom New Member

I don't post much, but I can really relate to your post. The fatigue is getting overwhelming now and I find myself overeacting to things that I shouldn't. I just feel there are not enought hours in the day and that I am being pulled in too many directions. If you meet that rich guy, ask if he has a brother for me.
  3. CASA02

CASA02 New Member

What a great post! I bet we all can relate in one way or another. My frustration lies in being overwhelmed by the smallest of things. If I try to get a VERY FEW groceries, fix a VERY SIMPLE evening meal and pay ONE bill in the same day, I find myself feeling anxious and overwhelmed. This from the same lady who once worked a 40 hour week, paid bills, got groceries, had all the family gatherings at my house, and still found time to travel weekly up and down the E Coast watching my youngest play college bball.

We have changed-Life must go on, as everyone will tell us. But, I must say this fibro is the hardest challenge I have every faced in my entire 50 plus years.
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I , too, was a woman who handled it all..I would like to think with 'grace'. But, not any more...almost any little thing can pop me right over the edge..sometimes with anger..but more often then not I am falling apart crying! It is the craziest thing! My Dh has learned to wait to see if they are fibro tears...or REAL ones! Most of them are fibro tears...and then he tries to take some of the stress off me so I can calm down. There are days I am on edge all day...then there are still days...(*thank goodness! for them) that I can still handle quite a bit and feel ok.

But..the more I handle..the more pain I end up in..and the more fatigue I have. So it is very hard to have the life I used to have!
    Really...I guess it is impossible..now I have a fibro life..and that is a way different way to live!
  5. sdown

sdown New Member

Did you get tested for adrenal gland exhaustion? Anyone everyone is different and has different issues but I felt overwhelmed with stuff too. Adrenal gland exhaustion can cause alot of stress on your nervous system. I was told I have Addison's disease. Doctors dont seem to test for that too often. I think it was the 11th doctor who tested my adrenals. Im on cortef now, 25 mg a day and DHEA 25 mg a day. I also take SAMe which is available on this site and it really calms down my nerves and helps me cope. Hope this helps. Take care.
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Tigger,
    I know what you mean. Every so often I get really overwhelmed. I can tell, because I get really easily annoyed and find myself yelling or crying at the least little frustration.

It is then that I have to stop, cancel all my Dr. appontmehts etc... and just rest. I'm lucky that I can do this, because in a week or two I'm back to my old self. I wish others could do this, too, but then, I'm old, and I guess that is one of the blessings that comes with age.

I realized yesterday,(when I was "on the verge" again), that when I was working and taking care of my mom, and had most of the diseases I have now,( at least I had CFIDS/FMS), I used to fly off the handle when stressed. If I had realized it then, It probably wouldn't have helped, because there was nothing I could do about my reaponsibilites. I really feel for those of us who are still young enough not to be able to set responsiblities aside for a few days. Aat least they have old age to look forward to.

Take care,
    Terry
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

I know what you mean because I am horribly anxious these days, with all there is to do, and I am weaning off the prednisone, which takes a toll on your adrenals. The adrenals now have to "wake up" and start to do their job again. My gastro said he wouldn't cut my dose down any more until after Christmas was over.

Also I know you have had issues with your job and that is a great stressor too, Tigger. It's okay if we don't get everything done. Like you I am a perfectionist. I want to create the perfect Christmas for myself and everybody, but that just isn't possible anymore.

So I give you permission to be gentle on yourself, and I'll try to do the same here.

(((((Hugs))))))
    Michelle
  8. sassyone

sassyone New Member

when i saw your topic, it was like..wow..that is me...i too, used to be very organized...well, almost very....until this fibro thing, now .i can't think correctly, can't plan things....everything is just too much so sometimes i end up doing nothing because i don't know where to start...it' hard, isn't it?
  9. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I've never handled stress well but lately I've been wondering if the FM is actually making me handle the stress and activity even more poorly than I used to. I'm fortunate in that I don't have a lot of "stress" (such as financial issues, etc.) lately, my issues of late have been more of an overwhelming nature of too much to do. I've never enjoyed the holidays - ever! - because I've always been overwhelmed. This year, I hurt so much and I try to push myself to do the things that need to get done but I'm just so mentally worn out and overwhelmed that I sometimes don't even physically TRY to do what I should. It's like my brain defeats me before my body even has a chance. (Does that make sense??!? Probably not!)

I am still working full-time (thank the Lord that I can) but have been very busy at work ... not to mention that I was in charge of relocating our offices (done now, whew!) and packing/unpacking, etc. ... AND then throw in the holiday season that brings shopping, wrapping, baking, etc.

Well as I said, I get so mentally overwhelmed that I just shut down and can't function ... and I can't afford to let that happen with my job so naturally it's the holiday stuff that's had to slide. I hate myself for having to do that. I look around my house and it's not decorated much at all but I'm too exhausted to think of it, and it makes me sad. I managed to finish my Christmas shopping (I hope!) but the gifts are still stacked in the bedroom waiting to be wrapped ... and here it is December 22nd!!! Fortunately I don't have little ones at home so that hasn't mattered, but when my college-age kids roll in tomorrow, it would be really nice to see some pretty packages under the tree! (Which by the way looks pitiful because I was too tired and overwhelmed to finish it!)

My DH helps all he can, but he's also been extremely busy at work (end of the year stuff of course) and has been working long hours. Our jobs have been nuts lately. It hasn't been unusual for us to both leave the house at 7:30 a.m. and both get home from work at 8:00 p.m. ... but most of those days he doesn't understand why I don't feel like working on the house decorations or the wrapping after we finish eating dinner at 8:30!!! By then I hurt so bad I'm almost in tears!

I lost my dad in mid-September which is also affecting how I am handling this holiday season. Today is my parents' 54th wedding anniversary, and the 95th day he's been gone (but who's counting, right?) ... that has added to my sadness and overwhelming feelings of the holiday. I'm trying to cut myself some slack and allow myself to grieve, but the pressures of making the holiday "right" for the family are weighing me down.

I took today and tomorrow off work to finish up the holiday preparations, and here I sit on the computer. Procrastination is definitely my biggest way of handling stress!!! :(

Okay, I'm going to go *try* to wrap some gifts, please pray that my hands hold out for a while because there are at least 40 gifts to be wrapped. Sigh.

I'm sure this post doesn't make a darn bit of sense and I'm just rambling, but gee I feel better .... a little! Hang in there, Tigger ... we're all in the same boat!!

Love to all,
    Kathy

10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

The fibro and my husband losing 3 fingers has taken a toll on the finances.My husband handles talking to anybody about money.I still get a lot of calls which the answering machine takes.I have to be very careful of any severe stress.The answer is yes,I'm super sensitive

My father(verbally abusive when I was at home) decided to get involved when my adopted sister yelled at my sister during a wedding we were at.He then started picking on my son.I walked away but completely collapsed.I leaned against a wall not to fall but luckily me son came by and helped me to sit down.Does anybody else's body crumble under stress like mine does?Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2005]
  11. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Especially at this time of year - I feel like my head is spinning! Not only do we have to figure out how to pay for Christmas, but the shopping, wrapping, cooking - all in addition to the hell of working with this DD & taking care of 2 small children. I would say overwhelmed is an understatement!!

It is a good thing I don't commute with my kids, cause I yell a lot. I have little tolerance for idiots - and they're everywhere.

I am lucky to have met a wonderful man, who takes good care of me. He is not rich by any means though....that would have been perfect, and nothing is perfect, so there you go. I too was very independent person, and the transformation to letting other people do things for me has been a hard one.

Well, good luck & happy holidays to everyone!

Leanne

12. Gly

Gly New Member

Oh-h-h-h yeah! I'm also a perfectionist and very sensitive to other people's moods and feelings (although I see very few people other than family). I have a caring man who makes enough money for us to live on, thank God. And I don't work anymore. I would be a total wreck coping with a job and finances. I get irritated if my dear husband puts anything in the wrong place in the fridge or cupboard and I have to actually look for something.

Hugs to you (((Tigger))). I've read some of your posts and can only imagine lving your life!
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I can relate to everything you said, except I'm married and not looking. lol Also I don't work, so don't have the stress of that either.

Everything overwhelms me lately. I know it is the holidays that is causing that. Finances are stretched to the limit too and that always upsets me. Gift giving is just out of control. My husband just did way too much of it.

We'll be stuck when the cc bill comes in next week. :(

Try to have a happy holiday anyway. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  14. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm sorry that you all feel that way, but I am happy it's not just me.

Gly... trust me when I say there are days that I don't want to imagine living my life.

To be honest, if it wasn't for my 2 dogs and 2 cats (nothing but love there), I would have... I don't know what I would have done, but they tend to center me a lot. I often feel like an outcast and don't do the touchy feely real well, so the puppy kisses and hugs and kitty licks and rubs are very soothing to me.

I hope it's a combination of the new job and the holidays that has me over the edge, and I would like to imagine that it will get better after the 1st of the new year. I'm hoping and wishing on stars.
    Tigger
  15. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

And right now overwhelmed is spelled CHRISTMAS! It is the same every year and I have no real excuse because I have very few demands on me as I live alone. I almost feel other people's stress and pressure. I would like to put a chair in my closet on Dec.1st, close the door and not come out until Dec. 26. Not that I'm depressed or anything.....
    :)Gwen
  16. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I just went through a rough spell over OVERWHELM!!! I can flare at a moments notice...and I hate it. I can be so short with my hubby. He doesn't deserve it from me. He said something hurtful on Tuesday...and I cried for two days!!!
  17. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I haven't been on here lately...so probably missed alot!

I hope the new year is better for you. A new beginning!!
  18. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I think we are all alike. I am the exact same way!!

I am screaming at one minute and bawling at the next. I am very sentsitive but yet can flip out at amy given time. So watch out!! I feel soooo sorry for my family. Then after I flip out I have this terribile guilt. Sometimes I feel like I am cracking up.

I feel very overwhelmed all the time. I always say.. I wish I had a day where I don't have to do anything.

Take Care, Tigger
  19. Gly

Gly New Member

I'm glad you have your furbabies for comfort. I love animals but am allergic to just about everything, including bunnies and poodles.

Yes, the holidays contribute to a lot of stress. I don't get out much anymore but, when I was still working, everyone seemed to ask if I got my shopping or baking all done yet. One lady on another forum I visit (thelonghaircommunity) has a ticker in her signature to January 2. She is looking forward to the holidays being all over and done with again. That's how I feel, too, I'm afraid even though I've hardly done a thing. Maybe because I've hardly been *able* to do a thing!

Maybe there will be less tension in your office environment after the holidays, too. I know there was in the places I worked... like a huge sigh of relief that it's all over.
  20. Valentina

Valentina New Member

I get overwhelmed VERY easily. I get horrible Fibro flare ups when I experience any type of stress (emotional or otherwise). One thing after another has gone wrong lately and my pain level has gone through the roof! I even find talking on the phone stressful these days.

[This Message was Edited on 12/25/2005]