Do you get tennis elbow?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debgene56, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

My sister and I both have Fm and keep getting tennis elbow. Wer'e wondering if this goes hand in hand with fm.
    Love, Deb
  2. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I was an avid A tennis player. Probably it was one of my 1st signs of my fm advancing. They used to have ice waiting so I could keep playing. It was fm and not true tennis elbow from repetative movement. Finally just could not do it anymore. I would love a good tennis match. Just working on my projects now I get severe tendintitis from this dd.

Dr. Selenyl explains in here book Hugsss....
    I know have to get numerous injections just to regain use.
  3. nancyw

nancyw New Member

All I can say is OUCH! Yes, I developed "tennis elbow" in my arm arm last January. Got coritizone shot; didn't help. Tried splints; didn't help. Went to weeks of physical therapy; helped somewhat. To me it seemed to be more in the muscles of my arms (this was before fibro dx). Now I have it in both elbows pretty bad and have lost lots of strength in my arms and hands. Hurts to get things "down" from cubboards, hurts to open truck door, can hardly open doors with round knobs. Can't get much relief any more. Thank goodness, though, it doesn't affect my typing or I'd be sunk. Take care and good luck!
  4. swred5

swred5 New Member

Mine was diagnosed about 6 years ago as tendonitis in my forearm & elbow due to repetative motion of cashiering in a grocery store full time. Now I think it is caused by the muscles being used too much, and tire from the fibro. I definatly never had the coordination to play tennis, but have found that using the brace along with magnet therapy has helped. I have stomach problems from using too many NSAID's, so can't use any of those types of meds for aches & pains.
  5. KayL

KayL New Member

My osteo told me it was chronic tendonitis caused by repetitive motion from my job. I've tried cortisone injections with no relief. It's gotten so bad I cannot lift the coffee pot with one hand. I am in constant pain with this now. It's hard for me to wash and blow dry my hair.

I'm having prolotherapy on my elbows on April 29. I'm kind of apprehensive about it because I hear it will HURT and they already HURT, but I am hoping for results.

My husband gets it in his elbows and goes once or twice a year for cortisone injections. The orthopedist actually did bring up the matter of surgery to him, but I know my husband won't go that route.

Karen
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...my husband, who has true tennis elbow (no FM?CFS) tried one of those wrap-around velcro elbow braces after researching tennis elbow remedies----since he's been wearing it, it has improved about 90%! He doesn't have this DD, so that may make a difference. But it's a small expenditure to try one. He just wore it under a shirt during the day & sleeping at night. Now the elbow has improved so much, he seldom wears it.

Good luck, hope you & your sister can get some relief!

Pam
  7. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I had an injury to my rt. elbow - from my school bus manual door - tore tendons, muscles, damaged nerve. The darn door was sooooo hard to close & the mechanics adjusted it as loose as it would go & I still could barely close it. I felt something tear the day the damage was done. 4 surgeries later on that elbow & it's fine most of the time.

However, my left elbow started the same thing. No injury. So it was back to sugery on that one after more than a year of therapy & cortizone shots. It still isn't right. My surgery on left one was last May & I'm still having numbness & pain. I'm wondering if it isn't the fibro causing the pain. If I had been dx'd then I probably would not have gone through the surgery. Would have thought about the fibro.

Well, I guess what they say about hindsight being 20/20 is true! :)

BTW, ever since my doc sent a letter to my employer saying my bus door caused the damage I have had an air door & every new bus that's purchased has an air door - preventative maintainence kind of thing!

Hope you get some relief.

Good health........Kathi
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2003]
  8. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

Little movements and jerks always caused muscle spasms or joint pains. I have been diagnosed so often in the past with "must be touch of tendonitis". The air pressure straps for the elbow worked decently but only if worn long term and along with some 'ionized' braclet my sister in law gave me. I don't know if it was just discovering I had Fibro and adjusting activities, time or the bracelet & strap but it feels better.

I still have trouble, as I have for years, lifting the coffee pot with my left hand. Sometimes there is no pain, just can't lift. I just don't try to lift a full pot with my left or as soon as I try I quickly switch to the other arm. Don't know if inability to lift or dropping things all of a sudden is muscles or weakness, nerve damage or from Fibro or what

I now try to use TWO hands when carrying something just in case the elbow or muscle weakness hits before warning.
  9. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

She used the term iontophoieses, (tennis elbow?). She wants my doc to write a script for dexcemethcesone to use with some electrical current. I am not sure I like this idea. They use 2 cc on a pad, and then attach some wires with another pad. I think I would rather do ultrasound. The muscle area is all swollen and bumpy. She worked on my mid back up thru neck, and asked me if anything has changed recently. I knew I hurt, but I was all knots, you can really feel it with all that slippery goo they put on. She used heat and electrical stim first. About the elbow, has any one heard of this treatment or the name? This fm really dose a job on us, of well, glad it's not just me. Love, Deb
  10. southstars_tat2s

southstars_tat2s New Member

I didn't even think to call it tennis elbow..but that is what I have in my left elbow it feels like! I was wondering here for the past year what it could be.Some days better than others...some days cannot lift a cup.My doctors never really addressed it as being in kahootz w/the fibro,but I think now it must be.
  11. ozgran

ozgran New Member

I have tennis elbow, my wrist hurts and the last couple of days I have developed severe pain across and up the side of the neck and into the shoulders. It also hurts quite badly around the arm socket and across to the side of my B----bs. I have just assumed it was the osteo'. Haven't seen my Dr for about 2 1/2 months but have to see him next week and will be asking him about it then. Love Ozgran.
  12. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

Bumpity Bump for Deb!!
  13. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

The treatment is the equivelent of having a shot without the needle. They put 2 cc's of the stuff on a pad and then send positive charges that drive it into the tendons and muscles. I have to get a script for it. Will start it on Tuesday. I love the massage after the electrical stimulation. They want me to check with my insurance to see if I can get a full body massage. That would be so very nice!! Love, Deb
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I can no longer play tennis.

Love, Mikie