Do you get these FM pains and other symptoms? Please help with answers.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Nov 10, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi All:

I seem to be falling down the slippery slope rather quickly these days. I'm curious if other FM'ers get these various symptoms.

1. Constant general aches pretty much everywhere.
    2. Muscle spasms that feel like a bruise afterwards. In weird places, like the side of my calves not the back or along either side of the spine. Upper and lower arms as well.
    3. Sharp stabbing pains in the wrist, feet, ribs, back that make you yell Ouch. (Kind've embarrassing in public)
    4. Vertigo, dizziness sometimes making me nauseaus.
    5. Lower back pain, pretty constant.
    6. Sometimes feels like when I'm walking, my legs are not really mine. Strange feeling.
    7. Lack of balance, or misjudging distance, leading to hitting the sides of doorways, countertops, etc. More bruising there!
    8. Pretty constant headaches now.
    9. Fatigue is just getting worse and worse. Takes a long time to even get up in the morning, let alone get dressed.
    10. Dropping things, like my hands are having trouble holding on to things.
    11. Can't type as well anymore or as long. Maybe 10 minutes.
    12. Short term memory seems to be getting worse and worse.
    13. Neck getting stiffer and stiffer. Hurts to turn my head from side to side. (Could be the headaches though)
    14. Pains in the knuckles. Sometimes they turn red and then after the pain subsides, it looks like my knuckle is bigger.

Fourteen seems like a good round number. If you can, please let me know if you experience any or all of these symptoms.

Thanks guys,

Eileen

2. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Well I have all of those but #14 but I don't just have FM I also have MCS.
  3. magicmermaid

magicmermaid New Member

hi just read ur message. I must say you just sound so like me. I have every single thing you have going on. I know how you feel. I must say it does get easier as long as you take ur anti depressants. they are the only meds that help me with sleep and pain. What meds do you take at the mo?. Please get back soon.
  4. magicmermaid

magicmermaid New Member

hi just read ur message. I must say you just sound so like me. I have every single thing you have going on. I know how you feel. I must say it does get easier as long as you take ur anti depressants. they are the only meds that help me with sleep and pain. What meds do you take at the mo?. Please get back soon.
  5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Eileen,

I have the same things. The feelings of being bruised, pain in knuckles, memory, balance, headaches, muscles ache SO much when severe fatigue sets in, typing hurts my arms too. I am still working full time. I take Lexapro (mostly for anxiety), Flexeril and 1/2 a vicoden all as needed. The memory thing and balance is kind of on it's own, there's nothing really I can do. I wish there was something we could take for the fatigue - it's so bad.

I hope you get some relief very soon.

Wendyj
  6. jodboga

jodboga New Member

Hi , I have all those pains too . I take CoQ-10 for energy and it seems to help . I have decided the supplements are worth a try so I am trying about anything I can get . Those days when I cant get out of bed til noon I just dont worry about it . We all have to listen to what our miserable bodies are trying to tell us .Good luck and remember you are not alone in this fight .
    Jody
  7. libbyann

libbyann New Member

I have ever sympton she talked about, I have tried just about every antidepressant that you could name, I am taking two now. I haven't found that they help with pain, I would like to know what kind you are taking. I need a boat load of what ever it is.

No You are not alone
    Hope you get better
    Libbyann
  8. jmq

jmq New Member

Sad but true....it helps to know you are not alone. I have about 10 of the symptoms you mentioned. My feet get hot, red, and burn....and hurt alot these days...a new symptom in addition to the ones you mentioned. I have so many bruises my dh says the police are going to show up one day and take him away...lol.

I had to go to the SS dr. today and I felt so humiliated...running through my list of symptoms while he stared at me with a blank doubting face. How do you explain this dd.

Good luck my friend. Thank God we have each other here!

jmq
  9. I just found this, on a site, "about dot com":

You've probably read about fibromyalgia symptoms such as pain, fatigue and fibrofog, but the list of possible signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia are far-reaching and body-wide. The following "monster list" of fibromyalgia symptoms is adapted from one put together by leading fibromyalgia expert Devin Starlanyl.

Many of these fibromyalgia symptoms also can be caused by other ailments and this list isn't intended as a diagnostic tool. Knowing the full range of symptoms, however, can help you track them either to help your doctor diagnose you properly or to help you identify triggers.

Some of the following are noted as overlapping conditions, which means they commonly occur with fibromyalgia but actually are conditions that need to be diagnosed and treated separately.

People with fibromyalgia can have any combination of the following symptoms, and to varying degrees of severity:
    General Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Delayed reactions to physical exertion or stressful events
    * Other family members with fibromyalgia (genetic predisposition)
    * Sweats
    * Unexplained weight gain or loss
    * Cravings for carbohydrate and chocolate
    * Headaches & migraines

Muscle & Tissue-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Morning stiffness
    * Muscle twitches
    * Diffuse swelling
    * Fibrocystic (lumpy, tender) breasts (as an overlapping condition)

Sinus & Allergy-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Allergies
    * Post nasal drip
    * Runny nose
    * Mold & yeast sensitivity
    * Shortness of breath
    * Earaches & itchy ears
    * Ringing ears (tinitis)
    * Thick secretions

Sleep-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Light and/or broken sleep pattern with unrefreshing sleep
    * Fatigue
    * Sleep starts (falling sensations)
    * Twitchy muscles at night
    * Teeth grinding (bruxism)

Reproductive Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Menstrual problems
    * PMS (as an overlapping condition)
    * Loss of libido
    * Impotence

Abdominal & Excretory Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Bloating & nausea
    * Abdominal cramps
    * Pelvic pain
    * Irritable bowel syndrome (as an overlapping condition)
    * Urinary frequency

Cognitive (fibrofog) Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Difficulty speaking known words
    * Directional disorientation
    * Loss of ability to distinguish some shades of colors
    * Short-term memory impairment
    * Confusion
    * Trouble concentrating
    * Staring into space before brain "kicks in"
    * Inability to recognize familiar surroundings

Sensory Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Sensitivity to odors
    * Sensitivity to pressure changes, temperature & humidity
    * Sensitivity to light
    * Night driving difficulty
    * Sensory overload
    * Paresthesias in the upper limbs(tingling or burning sensations)

Emotional Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Panic attacks
    * Depression (as an overlapping condition)
    * Tendency to cry easily
    * Free-floating anxiety (not associated with situation or object)
    * Mood swings
    * Unaccountable irritability

Heart-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Mitral valve prolapse (as an overlapping condition)
    * Rapid, fluttery, irregular heartbeat
    * Pain that mimics heart attack, frequently from costochondritis (as an overlapping condition)

Skin, Hair & Nail-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Pronounced nail ridges
    * Nails that curve under
    * Mottled skin
    * Bruising or scarring easily
    * Hair loss (temporary)
    * Tissue overgrowth (non-cancerous tumors, ingrown hairs, heavy and splitting cuticles, adhesions)

Miscellaneous Fibromyalgia Symptoms

* Hemorrhoids
    * Nose bleeds

Sources:

2004 Devin J. Starlanyl. All rights reserved. "Fibromyalgia (FMS) and Chronic Myofascial Pain (CMP) For Doctors and Other Health Care Providers."

Hope that helps... my mom was given a book, when she was diagnosed, written by Dr Devin Starlanyl, and, it ALSO mentioned things like-

people with fibromyalgia may seem like BUG MAGNETS, as far as any biting bugs, a person with FMS, might find themselves being bitten much more than a 'normal' person, or *group* of people, for example, at an outdoor picnic, etc... and she states that this is due to, warmer body temperature..

I'm one that (moreso in the beginning of my illness) constantly, rapidly throughout the day, had temperature fluctuations, starting in the mornings, anywhere from 97.1 (or lower, rarely), going up during the day, but, anywhere from 98-99.6... I've been told, also- and doctors NEVER would consider this, but, when you are a person, who normally runs a LOW temp, then, it SHOULD be, (but never IS), that, when OUR bodies reach say 99.6*, for US, that can actually be like a 'normal' person, who's temperature is usually right around the established normal 98.6, having THEIR temperature be 100.6 + ...

That made a LOT of sense to me, because, as soon as my temperature reached 98.6-98.7, I would start sweating, under my arms, especially, even though hands & feet were always frozen... from then, I could literally check my temperature every 5 minutes or so, and it would go up, and up, and up... to 99.6 or so, and then, as quickly, start going back down!

Also, my *mother* (and every other female relative- SERIOUSLY, even my *dad's* only sister, has fibro, my sister, was JUST dx'd about 2-3 wks ago! UGH!) none of them ran the low grade fevers like I did, but, my mom and I, BOTH can actually FEEL heat coming off of our bodies... the neck especially, we can just pull our neckline out, and feel HEAT coming out, hubby feels it coming off my legs, etc...

Dr Starlanyl's book also touched on that...

The book my mom has of hers, was from back in the early 90's, when my mom was dx'd, and it listed *67* symptoms, and they are baffling, mind boggling, and all over the place... yet, as my illness, and other family members has as well... we've experienced nearly, if not ALL those symptoms, and between us all, we have every single overlapping disease mentioned as well, and then some (cancers, MS, lupus, various types of arthritis, endometriosis, PCOS, hypothyroid, cholesterol/triglycerides, mom & her sisters have diabetes, I did- SORT of... (2.5 yrs of high dose steroid tapers...) but, I have hyPOglycemia issues, moreso than hyperglycemia, now...

Take care ALL,

Laura

10. cathugs

cathugs New Member

My goodness,Eileen
    I thought you were talking about me for a minute.
    I have all these symptoms, and the burning feet and toes
    that another poster mentioned.

I am sorry you are feeling so terrible. This DD really
    sucks.

I went to my Rheumy today and got a cortisone injection.
    He also upped the dosage of my Vicodin.

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon.

Hugs from (((cathugs)))
  11. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

It really does help to know that I'm not the only one with all these wild and wacky symptoms. I saw my Dr. yesterday with my husband. He's been really concerned these days with the increase in pain as well as my weight loss.

My Dr. pretty much explained the reasons for everything...lots of stress from applying to get short term disability. Increased pain and symptoms due to stress. My shoulder injury (which I got last February when snow and ice fell on my from a building) did show a tear. Two Dr's did chalk up my pain to FM, so I was quite relieved that the MRI proved otherwise. Can't do anything about it though. I'm stuck with cortisone shots to help with that.

Devin Starlanyl's list is a real eye-opener. And I thought 14 was a long list! I think I have about 80% of the items listed.

Wish my luck with my disability application....they already turned me down once.

Thanks guys...you all mean the world to me.

Eileen
  12. Bailey07

Bailey07 New Member

Hello Eileen
    I also have experienced every one of your symptoms listed and more. I can be Ok one minute and the next I have pain so severe that it takes my breath away. The pain can happen any where in my body. I will go shopping and get in the car and drive home. I get out of the car and my legs hurt so bad that I cannot make it to my home. Then at night I get pain so severe in my feet. It is not a charlie horse but more like my feet have frozen and hurt terribly.
    I was diagnosed in the summer of 07 but I think I have had chronic fatigue and fibro for many years. I have done the doctor routine and unless a person has these issues, they cannot and do not understand our pain. I am now on the pain medicine and drug rollie coaster. Have not found a way to keep the pain from influencing every aspect of my life. So your symptoms are very normal for someone with fibro.
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

The above does not list pain. Did you leave that out since you talked about it in the first couple of paragraphs.

The pain I get is deep, aching, throbbing right down to the bone. Mostly my legs, arms. upper back and chest. The aching is so awful, it makes me feel sick.(Ya think?)

Also does not list the 18 tender points.

This is not fun, eh?

Take care.
    gap
  14. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I also have pretty much all of those except #14. I have pretty much had FM my whole life but the last 5-6 years have been the worst.
  15. msbad66

msbad66 New Member

Hello Eileen,
    I have all the ones you listed except headaches, and many of those posted in the horrible long list. Now I might even have a ruptured disk in my back. Can't wait to find out what else turns up in the MRI.

Keep your chin up only if it doesn't hurt too bad,
    Becky
  16. loto

loto Member

Thanks so much for these symptoms mentioned! It seems every month I have a new symptom, and wonder if it is due to my FM. I've discovered I always crave deserts and chocolate daily (not just around PMS time). I've also had problems with having sneezing attacks for no apparent reason! I've never in my life (before now) had probs with allergies! My ears also feel itchy at times. And, within the past 2 months I've been battling stomach problems that my doctor and I are still trying to diagnose. I think it will end up being IBS with Constipation, and Acid Reflux, but he wants to do tests to rule out other stuff. My ct scan came back normal, so we know the organs in my stomach are normal. Ok, I definitely CAN"T drive at nite because the headlights of other cars blind me. I also constantly run to the bathroom to pee all day long. And, last but not least, there are times when I just feel so "P" off that I blow up about the littlest things, and then later wonder why I did! And then I'll have to go apologize to whichever family member I yelled at! SO, I'm so grateful to you for posting this!!!!!
    Take care
    Lori
  17. loto

loto Member

Yes, Eileen, I have most of these symptoms, and many more. The one I especially hate is dropping things!!!!! At this point I only drop small things, like paper, pencil, forks, stuff like that. And then I have trouble getting a hold of small things, like paper, money, etc. It's so frustrating, especially if you're at the store or something and someone is waiting on you!! Anyway, don't know what there is to do about that. Just know that you're not alone with these symptoms!!!! and this site has been excellent support for me since I've found it.
    Take care
    Lori
  18. star273

star273 New Member

Its amazing how reading these posts sometimes makes you feel better! It helps me to know I am not crazy and I am not alone in all this. Yes, I do have all those symptoms and a few more as others have said. Thanks for posting. Hang in there. I have faith that someday there will be a cure or at least some good help!

Hugs
    Star*
  19. cuzi'mbroken

cuzi'mbroken New Member

I suffer from FC and from CFS. I have about every possible symptom there is with FM. I get these episodes attacks, flare ups, etc where I have the fever, the burning heat sensation where I can't move and keep my eyes open. I have to lay in bed until it passes. I have a sick feeling to my stomach. Can anybody relate to these episodes that I get because I feel like I'm dying when I get these attacks.

ps. I feel alone can someone reply so I can get some type of relief.

-Edith
  20. cuzi'mbroken

cuzi'mbroken New Member

I suffer from FC and from CFS. I have about every possible symptom there is with FM. I get these episodes attacks, flare ups, etc where I have the fever, the burning heat sensation where I can't move and keep my eyes open. I have to lay in bed until it passes. I have a sick feeling to my stomach. Can anybody relate to these episodes that I get because I feel like I'm dying when I get these attacks.

ps. I feel alone can someone reply so I can get some type of relief.

-Edith