Do You Have A "COMFORT BOX"......?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by catgal, Feb 19, 2003.

1. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Everyone~~All of us have bad days, blue days, painful days, out-of-it days, sick days, and leave-me-alone days. What do you do for yourself to help you get through these difficult times?

I have what I call a "Comfort Box". For me, my Comfort Box is my emotional first aide station, and I would not be without it.

Though any old box would do, I found a beautiful, mid-sized box covered with bright colored daisy cloth and lined with plush red velvet. When I am down, sick & missing work, sad, in pain, got the blues, or just plain feel miserable--I pull out my Comfort Box.

In this Box of soothing secrets, I keep my special healing gown and stay-at-home fuzzy socks; a good book I haven't read; a wonderfully scented candle; some aromatic incense; an unopened CD of music I saved for just such an occasion; an unwrapped movie video I bought that I've been looking forward to watching; a fresh can of Johnson's Baby Powder which I sprinkle all over clean sheets; a beautiful, hard back journal to express my thoughts & feelings on those particular days; some special bubble bath and great smelling essential oils for a hot, aromatherapy soak prior to snuggling down in my security blanket; a favorite light, delicate spray-on after bath scent I use for only these occasions; an expensive, indulgent moisturing body lotion that I save for desperate days; a spiritual or inspirational tape I haven't heard yet to nurture my Soul; and some extraordinary, delicious treats taken for medicinal purposes only.

I enjoy finding new and special first-aide supplements to replinish my Comfort Box from time to time. I pick up wonderful, healing items for my Box as I can afford them, tuck them away for hard-time days, and it gives me great comfort to know that a Box full of much needed self-pampering treats are waiting for me whenever I need a lift.

You can put anything you want in your Comfort Box. Anything that nurtures you, pampers you, and makes a miserable day much more bearable. Blessings to You, Carol...
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

What a wonderful idea.....Carol! I am going to begin one right away, and set it next to my soothing area...lol...I have created in and around my bed a special place, with comforting things such as warm,vintage quilts and pillows, dolls, a huggable, huge teddy bear, that makes for a wonderful hugging arm rest, for aching arms. This lovely comfort box, will be a wonderful addition!

I have a friend who has had two brain surgeries, and has resulting deafness. She has many bedridden days....I can't wait to begin one for her! I am going to make it a white basket, with calico lining and lace, and embroider "Comfort Basket" on it. What a wonderful idea, Carol! I can refill it over and over for her, a perpetual gift!
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    LL
  3. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

Thanks Carol,
    That is an awesome idea!!!
    Amy
  4. LErdman

LErdman New Member

Carol, I enjoyed reading about your "Comfort Box" idea! Thank you for sharing this.
    LErdman
  5. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

for this wonderful idea. I do a similar thing. My partner bought me a foot massager and back massager for Christmas, along with a heat pad which I use, along with my essential oils and hot bath and other luxury goodies. Even if my symptoms don't change, it makes me feel better about life in general. I think your idea is wonderful and intend starting a box also.

Blessed be.
  6. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

not just for ourselves, but for others. It would be a great idea as a gift even if the recipient doesn't have health problems. You could start now collecting items for the Comfort Box and give it as a birthday or Christmas gift. I can't wait to start!!

Thanks for sharing your idea with us Carol.

(((hugs)))
    Annette
  7. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Sounds like your wonderful comfort box is just what the doctor ordered.
    I too have little comfort pieces but scattered all over. Perhaps locating them all in one specific area is a great idea. My little corner of the world (so to speak).
    Thanks for the idea.
    Soft teddy hugs.
  8. KimAB

KimAB New Member

After my hysterectomy I had a basket on a chair next to my bed that had treats and things in it. I think it is a good idea, though. I'm going to think about that some more.
  9. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Dear Carol:

So many things don't help all of us...so many things dont really help anyway!

However,this idea is so terrific. I will collect my special things to day and think of what other things I can add. I am just heading into that time of the month when I am in a serious flare! This has jogged my imagination to think of something I can do today when everything else is too hard to even think of tackling.

Bless you!
    Heidi
  10. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Carol...this is a wonderful idea to pass along. I read this very suggestion in the "Simple Abundance workbook" which is a wonderful book for anyone struggling with finding their authentic self...I sent my daughter the book for her birthday and she says it's the best gift she ever got and has made up her comfort box of many such items as well as uplifting poems, pictures and cards from loved ones.

I also have one but need to get a bigger box to hold more items. One of my wishes is a "comfort room" where I could just put up a sign "DO NOT DISTURB" for a few days. But in the mean time I go to my box - one especially comforting item is my mom's sweater (she passed away 2 yrs ago) to wrap up in on bad days...it helps to feel close to her and amazing how it gets me through the worst times.

We all need a comfort box. Thank you so much for the uplifting post!
  11. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

What a wonderful idea and so sweet of you to share it with us. A little pampering goes along way on a bad day ..or at least for me it does.

Thanks again..Sherry
  12. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Carol...how wonderful your comfort box idea is for all of us to explore for ourselves and people we love. I already try to do something comforting for myself or others when possible but to actually have a stash to add to as inspiration hits is a totally fun idea. Things like these make joy in life during tough times. Thank you Carol.
  13. epicurean

epicurean New Member

thanks for sharing it with us-can't wait to start my own,and one for sister-in-law who has some health problems.
    Bless you also!!!
  14. selma

selma New Member

Fabulous Idea !
    I'm going to start one tomorrow. It's a great idea for presents too.
    I hope that you only have to use it once.
    You are special to share it with us. Blessings to you.
    Selma
  15. phenom

phenom New Member

thats the best idea i've heard in a long time. i've already started thinking of things i can put in there (a packet of brownies?!?!). i'm off right now the salvage store to buy a big box. thanks so much for sharing.

phenom
  16. pearls

pearls New Member

Me, too! I LOVE this idea. I don't have a box of comfort yet, but have noticed that it is very theraputic to allow myself all the comforts I can: wonderful pillows, comforters, featherbeds - anything to make sleep more comfortable. I also take time to enjoy things in nature and appreciate that one more day has been given to me. Many other things have already been mentioned that I indulge in myself. God knows, we have enough pain with all the terrible things that go with it. Small - and big - comforts go a long ways to diverting us and help us to appreciate what we do have.

-Pearl
  17. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

It's 1,000lbs of Appaloosa mare. Whenever I am feeling down, all I have to do is walk out to the fence and she comes charging up to see me. When she puts that big ugly head on my shoulder, I automatically start feeling better.
    Kathryn
  18. kalina

kalina New Member

"A Box of My Own" is a great concept! I have my "comfort items' spread all over the house, but I think putting them together in their own special box represents a very powerful commitment and reminder to take care of ourselves. It's funny -- I have put together similar "comfort boxes" for ill familiy members over the years, but why have I never thought of doing this for myself? Thanks for the inspirational idea, Carol. I'm already thinking about what to include and how I will decorate my box.

Kalina