Do you have a DEEP tub?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cj368, Feb 22, 2007.

1. cj368

cj368 New Member

I really need some hydrotherapy. However, we can't afford a jacuzzi. I would like to look into getting a standard size tub that is just DEEPER. Do you have one like that.

P.S. A claw foot tub won't work because it's our only shower bathroom.

Thanks,
    Sue
  2. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,

I don't have much information on deep tubs but if you do a web search you should come up with alot of info. Also, several years ago me and my former wife bought a house that had a kind of jacuzzi but was shaped like and was the size of a regular tub. It was in the house when we bought it so I don't know it's cost but I am sure it would be alot cheaper than a regular jacuzzi. Hope this helps....

Bob
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

tiggerI would love to have one of those old (not sure what they are called)... the ones that my grandmother had then.

Can't get everything.
    Tigger
  4. ILM

ILM New Member

and you can get a shower attachment for pretty cheap at Lowe's.

Our bathtub is over 100 years old and deep enough that I can soak up to my neck. The shower attachment was easy to install and works just like a regular shower, plenty of pressure.
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Do you have a fixed space to work with? The reason I ask...most standard tubs plopped in to houses these days are about 5' long. Both my husband and I are tall, so when we added on a master bedroom and bath, we planned for a non-spa 6' tub. We got it from Kohler. Being able to stretch out eliminates some of the need for depth, because when you can stretch out your legs, you can scoot down and just have your head out of the water.

Also, standard tubs are about 16" deep and 30" to 32" wide. This one is about 20" deep and the unit is 3 feet wide. It's built into an alcove (surrounded on 3 sides like most built-in tubs).

The only thing to remember...since most tubs are 5', shower curtains and shower rods 'off-the-rack' are not big enough!
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

If you must go 5' long because you don't have the space for anything bigger, and you don't have an option to go wider because you're hemmed in by a toilet or cabinet or other thing...Kohler has three models that are all 5' long, 2'8" wide (standard) and are 20" deep. The models are Portrait, Hourglass, and Devonshire.

I would bet other fixture manufacturers would have something similar.
  7. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I use a plastic thing over the knob to fill the tub. At the bottom the knob lets water out to prevent overfilling. So at a home goods store I got a plastic thing that sticks over the knob and the overflow hole is on the top. It gives me an extra couple of inches of water.
  8. cj368

cj368 New Member

The tub needs to be 5' because of the space I have...the tub in enclosed on three sides. I am tall too, that's why I need it to be deeper because I can't add length. I will check out the suggested tubs. Thanks, I can't wait to be able to rest my joints in hot water.

Sue
  9. achingbytch

achingbytch New Member

Hi cj
    One of the best cures for me is hot water and being in water. I prefer showers only because my current bathtub is very low, very shallow and meant for someone about 4ft tall. I tried soaking in a pine salt solution (Batherapy is the most fantastic stuff) but found 3/4 of me was never underwater and the hot water expires by the time half the tub is filled. Not to mention, the joys of having joint pain and trying to crawl in and out of the tub. I leave the tub now for the cat...its just her height and she loves slipping in and out to play.
  10. debhun

debhun New Member

And I love it. It is a reg size tub but is deep and has 6 jets. We got it 7 years ago after the flood and we had to redo our home. It was less than $300. at homedepo.Wouldn't trad it for nothing.

Deb
  11. MargaretOB

MargaretOB New Member

Hi,

I used to have a jacuzzi but I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. When I redid the bathroom in my current house, I got one of those roman style, oval tubs. It is deep and wide. I also got one of those rubber overflow covers so that I can let the water go up high without losing it all - great invention.

I really need my hot bath every morning to get moving. Sometimes I'll put in some epsom salts too.

Good luck,
    Margaret

PS: even if you have a claw foot tub or oval one like mine, you can get those oval shaped shower rods so that you can still have a shower.

12. TKE

TKE New Member

....for those who have these & I do :). Mine is circa 1914. Put in when my Great Grandmother had our house built :). Anyway google "clawfoot tubs/part" & you'll find places to get all the parts, showers add on's, etc. There's a place in Hazelton, PA that is the main manufacturer of parts for these old tubs. There are many shower head options. Some very expensive & some not.

We still have all the original inlet & drain pipes, but one is now springing a leak, so we'll have to get new ones soon.

I also got a shower hook up for mine years ago. Make sure you measure the length of your tub. I opted for a sort of rectangle shower rod, as it gives us the full length of the tub as shower space. It requires 2 full sized shower curtains. I also opted for a handheld shower head, so I can use it to not only bath the dogs, but it helps when cleaning/rinsing the tub too.

13. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i want one of those!!!!!!!!! even looked into it -but my house is very old and the current bathtub is only about 4and a half feet long, and surrounded on 3 sides by walls. so no new deep tub for me...wahhhhh

once a friend let me use hers- i felt like the queen of sheba in there!!!!!

the plain deep tubs (no jacuzzi) i think they are callled soaking tubs -are not too expensive- maybe $200 ?

bigmama2