Do you have a doctor phobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jinlee, Apr 15, 2008.

1. jinlee

jinlee Member

Must admit that I do. I have an appointment today and am having panic attacks all morning. Hope my antianxiet meds kick in before they take my blood pressure. It feels so stupid.

I want to call my hubby at work and beg him to go with me, which I can't do, but I guess I should just buck up and do what I got to do and get this appointment behind me.

2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I know how you feel; this has happened to me before as well, and I don't take anti-anxiety medication.

I'll bet once you get there you'll be okay--it's the anxiety leading up to the appointment that's probably getting the better of you. My FIL also gets like this before he sees his PCP so he finally discussed it with her. She was grateful that he brought it up, and now she takes that into account when taking his pulse, blood pressure, etc. and shows him a kindly level of sensitivity. Perhaps you can mention your 'pre-appointment' jitters to your doctor too. BTW, to avoid this, I try to make my appointments as early in the morning as possible. I find that when I hang around all day waiting, I get more anxious.

Good luck and let us know how you made out. we'll be looking for your post!!

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have to say that it is the docs that can cause this. I had this great doctor in Ithaca, a woman in a practice all women. They were all so great, always on time scheduled ALL apps for 40 mins. min. and space between apps. No rush rush.

I am starting to get a phobia about male docs for sure, except my nice eye doc. I have to see a new gyne tomorrow the only one around who will take my insurance and it is a MAN-I hate male gyne's but I hear his wife, an RN does a lot of the exams. Hope so.

Hope you do OK.

Love Annie